cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Main slide will not come in

The_Harpers
Explorer
Explorer
My hydrolic ram on left side is working, but the gear side will not engage. I have been underneath and the floor has not collapsed on the gear side. I tried to release the pressure with floor jack and 4 x 4 by raising it up. Did not work. Any helpful tips on this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Tom and Sydney - Monterey California
2004 HitchHiker II LS 32.5 UKTG
2003 Chevy Durmax Diesel
Travel companions Goldendoodle Hailey and Labradoodle Bailey
7 REPLIES 7

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
HitchHiker was built by NuWa and is out of production. But they still ahve the service shop at Kansas RV Center in Chanute, KS. Call them and speak to Daryl Denise. He is generally very helpful to HH owners.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

The_Harpers
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit and b_pilot you guys hit the nail on the head. Dropped belly pan and out drops broken bolt. Mine is not easy to get to. The worst thing I tried is pushing it in by hand. Bad move now out of alignment. At least I found the problem. I did make call to NuWa and the advice was to psuh the slide in. I am glad I took the time to drop belly pan and look around before pushing slide all the way in. Thanks you guys for the information, and advice.
Tom and Sydney - Monterey California
2004 HitchHiker II LS 32.5 UKTG
2003 Chevy Durmax Diesel
Travel companions Goldendoodle Hailey and Labradoodle Bailey

b_pilot
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem on my Bighorn 5th wheel. The hydraulic ram was working but one side of the slide would not come in. The slave side of the shaft has a bolt that connects the drive tube to the slave side gear. The bolt broke several times over the last several years. I carried spare bolts so I could reconnect when the bolt broke. It took two people to align the holes at the right place but I could always fix it. In my case the tubes and gears were exposed under the slide so it was easy to get to.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Contact the factory: good idea. But...if you're on the road, might be time for a recommended roving repair guy. Even if you're NOT on the road. Can't drive the thing with the slide-out...out. g'luck!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Single hydraulic ram drives the slide out open/close.
When piston moves in/out it drives a gear that engages rack by the ram as the gear turns a cross shaft drives the slave gear on opposite side which drives that rail.
Cross shaft is bolted at both gear packs.....possible broken bolt
Slave gear pack could also have broken teeth so that it doesn't engage rail.

In order to check which is the problem you will have to open underbelly covering

Cut a three sided window directly under rail about a foot inside frame.
Cut window so that non cut side is forward then bend it down

I had to replace gear drive assembly on piston end AND replace broken bolt on cross bar n slave side .....so 2 windows needed
After repair just close p windows using eternabond tape.

S/B a Lippert System........pg. 28

LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
It would be best for you to contact the manufacturer. They showed me when i purchased mine in the electrical area where i could remove two wires and then it could be pushed in manually. This may help if it is stuck out and you need to move? Other wise i would contact my dealer.
Dennis Hoppert

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
That doesn't sound good. Can you post some pictures so we can get a better idea what's going on?
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker