cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual or Auto Sliding Hitch

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
Since I lack experience pulling a fifth wheel I wanted to throw this out to the experienced for opinions. My problem is I have bumped the cab of my truck twice with the RV cap while maneuvering the fifth wheel into a camp site. I have had enough of that. While there is ample room between the cab and cap for normal driving, it isn't there for 90 degree turns.

So I did a bit of research looking at manual sliders and auto-sliders and came to these two solutions because they both allow me to set the hitch height to 16 (where I am at now and level) inches from the bed, both are American made, and both are well reviewed and respected.

Demco 18K auto-slider.
B&W Patriot 18K manual slider.

To go to the auto-slider is about $360 more than the manual slider. Is using a manual slider a pain when you have to deploy it and then return it for travel? Any negatives with using an auto-slider?

Thanks.
25 REPLIES 25

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
just got back from cardinal Ralley. pulled into our cul de sac and was able to actually turn it around. yes I did find it needing to be more straight on, but I just pull out and get straighter. have wondered what might happen if I am in more of an incline.
I vote for auto
pullrite 16,000
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Glad I could help. You are right there is no height adjustment but on the Pullright they sell a shorter post. I'd try it first with what you have.

I really like the hitch and have not regretted getting it.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
How many have, or read about people who leave with the antenna up? OK, you arrive at a park late, it is raining, and the first thing you want to do is go out and do your thing with the Manuel sliding hitch! One slip and the auto slider pays for itself! I have the Pull Right Super Glide Auto slider, and have never regretted the purchase!

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
On the Demco you can flare out the wings/stoppers on the head and hook up like a regular fifth wheel hitch.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
boshog wrote:
Old Duck wrote:
If you aren't in a huge hurry keep an eye on Craigslist. I had an older manual slider and wanted to move to a auto slide. Found a never before Superglide 20 miles away.

I don't know why I did think of Craig's List. So I looked and sure enough I found a brand new 18K Superglide 45 miles away and saved myself $350.00. Going to pick it up Friday. The only thing I don't like is it's hitch sits 19 inches off the truck bed, two inches higher than I need and there doesn't appear to be any height adjustments. I guess I can always raise the pin box.

Anyways, thank you very much for the Craig's List reminder.

Do yourself a favor and read the manual. If the seller doesn't have it go to pullrites website and down load it.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
boshog wrote:
Since I can't find any negatives using an auto-slider (or a manual one outside of the effort to deploy it) looks like the Demco is my solution since I don't have to remember to slide. I should have been more clear in my OP, it isn't about the cost delta between manual and auto, I was looking for the negatives in using either.

Thanks for the feed-back.

I earlier pointed out the issue of having to be straight on to hook up to most auto slider hitches. Chris

I didn't see that as a negative. The Superglide owner's manual allows up to 10 degrees off straight for hook-up, I don't have, at least yet, an issue with that.

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
Old Duck wrote:
If you aren't in a huge hurry keep an eye on Craigslist. I had an older manual slider and wanted to move to a auto slide. Found a never before Superglide 20 miles away.

I don't know why I did think of Craig's List. So I looked and sure enough I found a brand new 18K Superglide 45 miles away and saved myself $350.00. Going to pick it up Friday. The only thing I don't like is it's hitch sits 19 inches off the truck bed, two inches higher than I need and there doesn't appear to be any height adjustments. I guess I can always raise the pin box.

Anyways, thank you very much for the Craig's List reminder.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
boshog wrote:
Since I can't find any negatives using an auto-slider (or a manual one outside of the effort to deploy it) looks like the Demco is my solution since I don't have to remember to slide. I should have been more clear in my OP, it isn't about the cost delta between manual and auto, I was looking for the negatives in using either.

I earlier pointed out the issue of having to be straight on to hook up to most auto slider hitches. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
boshog wrote:

Since no-one else did I will post a negative. Some of the auto slides require modifying the hitch on the trailer or a special hitch to activate the autoslide feature. If you need a buddy or another tow vehicle to move your trailer you have to leave your hitch with the trailer and hope it will work in his bed.

Check how the one you are looking at is activated.

If you have a standard pinbox, then no adapter is necessary for the Demco. If a MOR/ryde or other specialty pin boxes, then yes a bolt-on plate is needed.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Turning 90 degrees is vastly over-rated. All you can do with the truck in that position is damage the suspension on the trailer by pushing the wheels sideways!

Yes Yes Yes. A full 90 degree adds enough stress to possibly damage you 5er and/or hitch. Take a look at the ST tires on a trailer and see the twisting they get. If using LT tires, they are not as forgiving and creates even more stress.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
avvidclif1 wrote:
boshog wrote:

Since no-one else did I will post a negative. Some of the auto slides require modifying the hitch on the trailer or a special hitch to activate the autoslide feature. If you need a buddy or another tow vehicle to move your trailer you have to leave your hitch with the trailer and hope it will work in his bed.

The Pullrite Superglide uses a capture plate mounted on the pin box. The early ones were welded on. The newer ones only take an Allen wrench, an adjustable wrench and about 2 minutes to remove. After that you are back to the standard pinbox. I do it every time I drop my trailer off for inspection so the dealer can move the trailer around the lot.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
boshog wrote:

Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Auto slide for me. It seems a lot of the post I've read about people hitting the cab over the years were at gas stations or other locations not involving backing into campsites. Very few people will stop in traffic to slide the manual slider back before entering a tight gas station.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB