cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Montana vs. High Country

MAwolcott
Explorer
Explorer
What is your opinion on one against the other? I found the same floor plan in both, so just curious. We are searching for our full time rig now, even though it will be a few more years before we hit the road full time. I have enough truck to tow the regular Montana so I'm not worried about that. I know the High Country sidewall "R" value is 1 less than Montana, but I don't think that will make that much of a difference keeping the rig at temperature. What do you think of the quality difference if anyone has either?
Mike & Amy
USN ADCS (AW) Retired
2016 F350 DRW FX4 Lariat.
2017 Montana 3791RD
2013 Cougar 28SGS (sold)
2008 Pilgrim 272PBH (sold)
2006 Summit TT (sold)
Pop-up (sold)
12 REPLIES 12

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
OOOOOPPPSSS my Bad Rich and thanks for pointing that out for me WeBeFulltimers,my wife keeps telling me to get my eye's checked and she's right(this time;))
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
topjimmy wrote:
He is NOT %100 correct , Now You got the Big Sky as a Top of the line Montana that is now in the last 2-3 years a separate model now with a 100in wide body frame and it USED to be a option pkg on the Montana with Full body paint etc..,Now it is Montana Legacy that you can get full body paint as a option and then you have the regular NON Legacy Montana which used to be the Mountanier THEN you have the High Country which is ALOT lighter than the Big Sky and the Legacy and NON legacy Montana's
richfaa wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
I believe now the Montana actually took the Big Sky's place and the High Country took the Montana's place. I believe the Big Sky is a package that you get on the Montana now like full paint.

That is 100% incorrect.

There is the Montana
The Montana legacy package
The Big Sky is a separate build

The High Country is a separate build.
Go to the Keystone website to look at the models and get the correct information.

Re-read what Richfaa said. He said 100% INCORRECT....not 100% CORRECT.

For full timing I would choose the Montana over the HC. We have been full timing in a Montana for 5 + years with no problems.

I would be more concerned with selecting the correct dealer. Some will take care of you and others will leave you high and dry.
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
topjimmy wrote:
He is NOT %100 correct , Now You got the Big Sky as a Top of the line Montana that is now in the last 2-3 years a separate model now with a 100in wide body frame and it USED to be a option pkg on the Montana with Full body paint etc..,Now it is Montana Legacy that you can get full body paint as a option and then you have the regular NON Legacy Montana which used to be the Mountanier THEN you have the High Country which is ALOT lighter than the Big Sky and the Legacy and NON legacy Montana's
richfaa wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
I believe now the Montana actually took the Big Sky's place and the High Country took the Montana's place. I believe the Big Sky is a package that you get on the Montana now like full paint.

That is 100% incorrect.

There is the Montana

Go to the Keystone website to look at the models and get the correct information.

Re-read what Richfaa said. He said 100% INCORRECT....not 100% CORRECT.

For full timing I would choose the Montana over the HC. We have been full timing in a Montana for 5 + years with no problems.

I would be more concerned with selecting the correct dealer. Some will take care of you and others will leave you high and dry.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
richfaa wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

That is 100% incorrect.

There is the Montana
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
You said you were looking for a future full time unit for the future. Have you looked at the Lifstyle RVs?

kznut
Explorer
Explorer
BEWARE OF THE KEYSTONE HIGH COUNTRY!!!! Friends of mine purchased one in Upstate NY they took delivery in October of 2014 and had it delivered to their site...They then went to FL for the winter upon return in April, they discovered their new RV's roof had collapsed under the load of the snow. Keystone would not help, their insurance covered their loan for 50K but they were out 10k down payment, their trade (which they owed nothing on!)taxes and fees! about 20k out of pocket for a unit that they only slept in 3 nights in OCT...Total Loss
The new "Helium Technology" (stamped roof rafters) not the way to build a Fifthwheel Keystone! If any one would like me to send pictures They are now the proud new owners of a Jayco Pinnacle with the Magnum Truss Roof...Google Magnum truss roof and watch the video...this is the way a roof should be built! if anyone wants pics. of the damage I would be more than happy to email them to you!

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
Please go here and learn for yourself they are not small and they are not lightweight......... http://www.keystonerv.com/montana-high-country/#

They are all new.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I looked at Montanas at a dealer and were impressed. Went to rv show in Vallejo CA and saw Keystone Alpine line. We were impressed with the quality of the Alpines and seemed to have standard features that were optional on the Montanas. Price was cheaper for loaded Alpine than Montana with upgrades, ie 2 15K ACs. We love our 2014 Alpine 3500RE. Downside was only about 4 dealers in CA and luckily saw them at the rv show or we would be pulling a Montana.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
MAwolcott wrote:
What is your opinion on one against the other? I found the same floor plan in both, so just curious. We are searching for our full time rig now, even though it will be a few more years before we hit the road full time. I have enough truck to tow the regular Montana so I'm not worried about that. I know the High Country sidewall "R" value is 1 less than Montana, but I don't think that will make that much of a difference keeping the rig at temperature. What do you think of the quality difference if anyone has either?

I was looking at the Cougar High Country for a while as the Montana HC's were all too heavy for me, even though they're a "light-weight" FW. That's the real difference, the HC models all are a light-weight version of the "standard" Cougars and Montanas. You don't want a light-weight FW for full-time use, IMO. Bite the bullet and get the "standard" version of the same floorplan you like; I'm sure you'll be happier in the long run.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:

That is 100% incorrect.

There is the Montana
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I can not speak to the High Country but our new Montana has been great. No trip back to the dealer because any problems so far have been minor (ceiling fan blade loose, screws on rear ladder loose, little things like that). I am in the process now of putting disc brakes on it because its heavy and the drum brakes I don't like. I ordered it with Goodyear G614 tires and since it has the Legacy package it has the Mor/ryde 4100 suspension. Lot of features we like and are very happy with the purchase. We ordered our unit and had it in about one month.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Is the construction/materials of both similar?
bumpy