cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Most important 5th. Wheel features for full timers

baggy_pants
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are recently retired and moving toward becoming fulltime RVers. We are currently in the fact finding stage of a 5th. wheel purchase. We're interested in a front lounge floor plan but more importantly we would like to get some imput from fulltimers as to what features of the 5th wheel are the most important in a full time application. Thanks for your time.
34 REPLIES 34

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
cdlaine wrote:
Golden 5th wheel rule applies....

Not likely the first one is going to be the end-all, be-all, do -all.

Charles

But it is possible. Making the first your last saves lots of money but it takes time, loads of research & not jumping at something not right just because it is 'such a good deal'. It won't be. There will be regrets everytime that would have been the perfect one is seen.

Years of research here. Listed the 'must haves'. Hours looking at floorplans. Untold hoours lurking on sites such as this. A couple of really big shows. All narrowed down to a very very short list.

Then the serious hunt began. Everyday searching online. Money ready & prepared to travel the distance for the right one.

Got it. 8 years later have not seen anything else worth a serious look or given the itch.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

robwhite61
Explorer
Explorer
cdlaine wrote:

Charles

Amen to that!!
2001 Ford F-350 DRW, 7.3L Turbo Charged
2013 Heartland Prowler 31 PRET

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

AuntSmurf
Explorer
Explorer
A kitchen with plenty of cupboard/counter space is vital when full timing. We went from a 29 ft TT to a 32 ft fiver. TT had a galley kitchen with non-existent space. The fiver has a rear kitchen, giving us much more counter and cupboards. I could deal with the small closets in the bedroom. But trying to prepare meals was a nightmare. Remember, you will spend most of your "awake" time in the living area. Make sure THAT'S comfortable and serviceable.

jamieline
Explorer
Explorer
I've read through this topic and notice that very few mentioned a washer and dryer. What does everyone do with out these when staying in state parks or other such areas that have limited services?
I would think that the folks that move frequently would find a laundry but what about those that may work or volunteer in these state parks?

How much boondocking would you have to do before a generator is really required?

Thanks
Jim

drillagent
Explorer
Explorer
All the previous posts are spot on. The one thing I will add is, what can you get to with the slides closed? We like to pull over and be able to get to the fridge for lunch or that quickie bathroom break.

Another thing to look at is what utilities are in a slide? With fulltiming, you're going to be moving the slides a lot. If your fridge or even the whole kitchen is in a slide, then all those connections (sewer, water lines, gas lines) are going to get a lot of wear and tear.
TV: 2012 F250 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel w/air lift suspension
CHU: 2012 Keystone Montana 3750FL
Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball w/ Companion 3500
Family: Me, HH6, a Boston Terrier, a Shiba Inu

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
hitchup wrote:
For 10 years, we've fulltimed exclusively in 5thW. Had 40', 36' and 38'. We look for comfort and have found the 38' is almost always ideal.

Our version of comfort is:
- TV must sit directly across from reclining loveseat or individual recliners
- Must have plenty of counter space for food prepping and clean-up
- Enclosed bathroom over split-bath. Needs shower large enough to bend over when you drop the soap
- Full Queen bed, so high thread count sheets are easy to purchase.
- Well placed inside storage and easy access to basement.
- Good insulation, because we can't pick warm Winters or Cool Summers while still working.

For us everything is the same but we want/have king bed and very good mattress (serta -Trump pillow top) for old tired bones
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

Gsport
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I havn't seen that makes a big difference is getting a widebody model. I've got a grand design solitude, 39' 5th wheel. It is 101" wide. It does make a big difference..

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
We also liked the front living area when we first saw it. After sitting in it for a couple of hours like we were living in it DW decided with age she really did not want to do the extra steps every time she wanted something from the kitchen.

A very good point to back up my earlier suggestion of pretend living in each model.

Looking around, with the salesman in tow, blabbering away, one is NOT going to realize how some of these little things you are going to miss, are going to effect living in the fifth wheel. All your attention is instead being directed to what the salesman wants to show you.

That "light bulb" is not going to illuminate a bad idea in the middle of such chaos.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Without question the most important thing are, the one you love and can stand being with day in and day out', LOVE helps out a lots, coupled with patience.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also liked the front living area when we first saw it. After sitting in it for a couple of hours like we were living in it DW decided with age she really did not want to do the extra steps every time she wanted something from the kitchen.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing is are you going to travel and how much. What type of campgrounds do you want to stay in. How much truck will you need for the rig you want. We are full timing since July. We have been rvin' for about 30 years and have snow birded and lived fulltime while building previous homes. We are in a resort in SW Fla. until the weather warms up then we are on the road. We like to stay one to two weeks in one place. We will return to winter in Fla. next winter. We like to stay at state parks and do so most of the time. We have a fiberglass roof. I am tired of patching the rubber roofs when they get torn from a very small branch. I may have a few scratches on my roof but no tears or leaks. We have a residential fridge with ice maker and water. A large walk in shower and private bathroom rather then walk through. Stacked washer and dryer and do use it. Two heat pumps and fire place. If you have a well insulated unit these are great keeping you warm into the high 30's. If you stay where electric is included you don't use much propane. King size 72&80 sleep number bed. Large closet. Our unit has a cook's kitchen and my wife who makes most of our meals from scratch loves it. Other things for me great storage. More Ryder 8000 IS Disc Brakes. High quality tires. We also have 4 6v batteries and 6500 KW gen. All we are missing is the solar panels, They will be coming. There is more but the point is when you full time you are living your life in your RV you are not vacationing for two or three weeks. So get what you want to make your life enjoyable for you not someone else. One last thing when you decide on your RV don't chinse on the tow veh.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
Washer/dryer
Big shower (amazes me on how many RVers use the shower house)
Recliners across from the TV
Desk for computer and printer
Great insulation
Big kitchen (we only have a one butt kitchen)

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
You might spend some time on the *Full-Time RVing* forum (here)

and on the *Escapees forums* - LOTS and lots of full timers.