cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorcycle batteries

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I need to buy a new battery for my BMW F650CS. I was thinking of going with a Lithium battery, about twice the price as a AGM type battery. Does anyone have any experience with this type of battery?

Because of the batteries location I don't want to use a lead-acid type battery. If it ever leaked it could do a lot of damage.
22 REPLIES 22

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ah, Mr. Bedford, such cynicism in one so young. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's a heck of a price. But one can only wonder about the quality. And the size would have been nice. And I wonder what normal CCA is for a bike battery.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The battery in the link in the post above says it has a built-in charging and protection circuit.

I suspect they say the same thing about the LiPo batteries they use in hoverboards.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I would say it isn't a good idea in any vehicle that wasn't originally equipped with a charging system for the li.

The battery in my R1100GS is under the fuel tank. I put an Odyssey AGM in there maybe seven or eight years ago. Might have been even longer, all I know is it hasn't required any extra care and still starts the bike.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Some motorcycles don't like Lithium batteries.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
fitznj wrote:
I have 2 bikes (F650 and DRZ) and have used lead-acid batteries from Batteries+ for several years. No issues with leaks and my DRZ gets a real workout and gets dropped many times. Their warranty is great with the 1 battery that failed prematurely.

Been satisfied so far - haven't moved to Lithium yet but I'm sure it's in my near future. I fly electric RC planes and LiPo technology is really impressive.

To the OP - I would not worry about lead acid leaks.
I don't want to take a chance on leaks or corrosion. A lot of expensive stuff right next to the battery.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kafn8td wrote:
I really like the earth X batteries. Excellent customer service and the batteries are the best. They are a little pricey, but then again you're on a BMW ๐Ÿ˜‰
That is what I was looking at for $219. It sounds impressive in technology.

How long have you been using them? Have you had any issues with them?

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 bikes (F650 and DRZ) and have used lead-acid batteries from Batteries+ for several years. No issues with leaks and my DRZ gets a real workout and gets dropped many times. Their warranty is great with the 1 battery that failed prematurely.

Been satisfied so far - haven't moved to Lithium yet but I'm sure it's in my near future. I fly electric RC planes and LiPo technology is really impressive.

To the OP - I would not worry about lead acid leaks.
Gerry

Kafn8td
Explorer
Explorer
I really like the earth X batteries. Excellent customer service and the batteries are the best. They are a little pricey, but then again you're on a BMW ๐Ÿ˜‰

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

My brother killed his Shorai by not following the storage charge directions. He let it get too low. That said he loves how it cranked the bike.

I think I'd go AGM myself.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
dedmiston wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
My toy batteries are lasting years longer since I started using battery tenders.

I agree. I added charging connectors to all of our bikes and it's made things a lot easier.
I already have battery maintainers for everything with leads so easy to plug in.

Just didn't know anything about Lithium motorcycle batteries.

It sounds like AGM is the way to go unless weight is a issue.

dedmiston
coolbreeze01 wrote:
My toy batteries are lasting years longer since I started using battery tenders.

I agree. I added charging connectors to all of our bikes and it's made things a lot easier.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL