cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorcycle mount on back of 5er

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I did some reading before I bolted a Reese receiver hitch to my back bumper for a bike rack and found a youtube clip of a guy who rebuilt the bumper because the 4 bikes that were carried on the back simply peeled the square bumper right off the welded supports from the frame.

Continuing on I learned that some of those bumpers are really not rated for much and if the sewer hose is stored inside they can start to rust the bumper out.

I've been carrying two bikes on the back of mine but I want to get a dual sport motorcycle and find someone to weld up a strong platform to the end of the trailer framing as well as a receiver mount to further extend the bicycles.

Has anyone done this and could you post pictures for ideas I can show a local welder?

Any input for pros and cons welcome, I have to chuckle when they rate those receivers for 500#'s, I want a Kawasaki KLR 650 and they weigh about 450#'s plus bags and gear and I want to be sure it's going to carry the load plus...

Thanks for any pictures and input.

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!
40 REPLIES 40

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The V-Strom will probably cost less and be more trouble free than the Beemer.

The swivelwheel-type trailers do work. I had one that I carried two motorcycles on and it worked a treat. The big plus is that you can back up with no issues, unlike a standard trailer.

Also I think the attachment nonpluses the LEO's as they aren't really sure how, or if, it qualifies as a trailer. I towed for several years, including in states that didn't allow double towing, and was never stopped.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I do have a front hitch but again I'll be close to maxing it out for it's rated for 500# so I now have another idea.

I saw this setup before and they had two quads on the back of the larger model but this might be the safest solution I've found so far;

I think this might be what I need but I've yet to buy the bike, I do like the middle range over the skinny bikes and I think I'm leaning toward BMW F650 GS or the Suzuki V-strom 650 ABS.

Any opinions on these two bikes?

Thanks as always,

Bill

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
frizzen wrote:
Have you looked into a front hitch for the truck?

My first thought as well, especially seeing the OP is looking at middle weight dual purpose bikes. (Same weight as most middle weight "adventure bikes" as well.)

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked into a front hitch for the truck?
I need some wild

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Nothing with a motorcycle. Probably 60,000 + miles over the course of 18 years when towing tandem with a 5500 pound boat with over 500 pounds of tongue weight. And multiple friends who do the same. Which seems to be to be pretty similar to what the OP is considering (which is what I said in my first post).
I really can't see how a boat on its own trailer is anything like hanging a motorcycle on the back of a 5er but whatever.

I'm not sure where your disconnect is? The boat is going to have 500 + pounds on the back of the trailer (tongue weight), which is similar to the weight a motorcycle puts on the back of the 5er. In fact, the boat will likely put more strain on the back of the trailer because it will bounce twice - once when the 1st trailer hits the bump, once when the 2nd trailer hits. All of that wil be on the connection point to the trailer (the hitch on the back, the same as either welding a carrier onto the back or a trailer, or using a hitch to create a platform back there).

Maybe you really know someone who had a problem (color me skeptical, but it doesn't matter). The reality is if the platform or hitch is appropriately welded onto the back of the 5er, you are unlikely to have troubles.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bionic Man wrote:
Nothing with a motorcycle. Probably 60,000 + miles over the course of 18 years when towing tandem with a 5500 pound boat with over 500 pounds of tongue weight. And multiple friends who do the same. Which seems to be to be pretty similar to what the OP is considering (which is what I said in my first post).
I really can't see how a boat on its own trailer is anything like hanging a motorcycle on the back of a 5er but whatever.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Saw a dirt bike (and platform) come off in West Texas one afternoon. Looked amazing as it cartwheeled down the shoulder of I-10. Driver didn't know he had lost it until a motorist pulled up alongside and honked him down.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Swivel-wheel trailers are a good option, but not necessarily legal in all states. I've never been stopped with mine when I had one, but it could happen.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Swivel wheel is another option. Be sure to check Craigslist.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Make sure you add a camera to the back of your 5er so you'll know where to return to pick up your bike.

Tell me, what experience do you have on the subject, other than reading things 3rd or 4th hand on the internet?
A friend almost lost his Harley because the points he strapped to on the bike broke.

Another friend lost two bicycles because they bounced off.

You?

None of us have ever had a problem.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I asked Mor/ryde about their Hydraulic Life and was told that they did not recommend them for Fifthweels.
Now that is not to say that you couldn't buy one and have it installed.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

srosa
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Make sure you add a camera to the back of your 5er so you'll know where to return to pick up your bike.

Tell me, what experience do you have on the subject, other than reading things 3rd or 4th hand on the internet?
A friend almost lost his Harley because the points he strapped to on the bike broke.

You?

The worst thing that's happened to me in many years of carrying motorcycles on the back of my fivers is a loose tie down that flopped around for a while, fortunately doing no damage. I've gotten better at it though and now they all stay as tight as I left them. If necessary, I modify my motorcycles to have adequate tie down points and the hydralift I own has added anchor points. Redundancy is a very good thing and I anchor to both suspended and hard points on the bike.
2018 DRV MS 38 RSSA
2017 Ford F-450 Lariat CC 4X4 DRW LWB

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bionic Man wrote:
joebedford wrote:

You?

srosa
Explorer
Explorer
Fisher Bill wrote:
And this one doesn't look like it's going anywhere but the campsite...

moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

LOL...that happens to be a picture of my old trailer, truck and carrier! It was mounted with 3 receivers to a very stout trailer frame. Even with a rear kitchen, the trailer towed nicely with a bike on the back. I use a hydralift now but with a different trailer.
2018 DRV MS 38 RSSA
2017 Ford F-450 Lariat CC 4X4 DRW LWB

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote: