cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorcycle on the back of the 5er.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of having a receiver hitch welded to the 8 I-beams of our 5er. I'm thinking of two pieces of heavy duty square tubing welded at 90 degrees to the I-beams, spaced about 3 or 4 feet apart and welded to each beam. Then the receiver part of the hitch welded to both of the pieces of square tubing.

I'm hoping to haul a 388 lb. motorcycle on this hitch. Tell me what you think; pros and cons, or better ideas. Thanks.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
50 REPLIES 50

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
klr650goldwing wrote:
With much appreciation for everyone who responded, I elected to haul the bike on the front of the truck.

On another website I heard about a guy who said his roof started to leak after he hauled a motorcycle on the back of his 5er. So I chickened out. I researched snow plows and found out that some of them weigh considerably more than what I'll be hauling. So the bike on the front of the truck shouldn't over load the suspension.

I bought a front receiver hitch from E-tailer and welded two more receivers on it. So the motorcycle carrier will have more than one receiver to hold it more steady.

At this moment the new hitch is at a powder coating shop. Once it has been powder coated it will be ready to mount on the truck.

Pics when finished please.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
klr650goldwing wrote:
With much appreciation for everyone who responded, I elected to haul the bike on the front of the truck.

Thanks for letting us know what you decided to do. My pet peeve is for those who ask for advice and then, you never hear from them again, as to what the outcome was.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
klr650goldwing wrote:
A couple years ago I added a engine oil temp. gauge, a transmission oil temp gauge and a water temp gauge. They respond instantly to fluctuations in temperatures. It's kind of interesting to watch the new gauges change quickly to temperature fluctuations and the factory gauges hardly move.

I will be watching all gauges closely during high ambient temperatures and, or steep climbs.

Ford temp gauges are notorious for being nothing more than glorified idiot lights. The sensors feeding info to the controller are actually very accurate. The feed to the gauges is not.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
A couple years ago I added a engine oil temp. gauge, a transmission oil temp gauge and a water temp gauge. They respond instantly to fluctuations in temperatures. It's kind of interesting to watch the new gauges change quickly to temperature fluctuations and the factory gauges hardly move.

I will be watching all gauges closely during high ambient temperatures and, or steep climbs.
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Smart move...there is a reason many motorcycle carriers are marked "not for use on rear of TT/FW". I have a quality carrier, that works great on trucks rear receiver, but wouldn't want it on rear of my FW, even though it has a factory receiver.

Sounds like you'll be good to go!!

Jerry

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats! Sounds like a pretty rugged option. I'd suggest watching your engine/tranny temps close, especially on severe climbs or with high ambient temps, just to confirm good airflow with the bike in front of your radiator. Enjoy!

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer

On another website I heard about a guy who said his roof started to leak after he hauled a motorcycle on the back of his 5er. So I chickened out. I researched snow plows and found out that some of them weigh considerably more than what I'll be hauling. So the bike on the front of the truck shouldn't over load the suspension.

I bought a front receiver hitch from E-tailer and welded two more receivers on it. So the motorcycle carrier will have more than one receiver to hold it more steady.

At this moment the new hitch is at a powder coating shop. Once it has been powder coated it will be ready to mount on the truck.
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
What did you end up doing OP?
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The now defunct Excel RV'S use to offer a hydraulic lift for motorcycles as a option on their 5th wheels.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saw a couple good ones this weekend. A golf cart being carried on a rack on the back of a 5er. Also a 5er with a rack PLUS a hitch welded to the rack with a utility trailer carrying a golf cart hooked to that.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
klr650goldwing wrote:
Well, that would satisfy the weight issue. But, wouldn't it be considered a double-tow? Or a triple tow; not sure the difference. That would mean it can only happen in the western states. Right?

Yes, I believe you might be correct about that. Might be some interpretation though. Just like the Idaho Tote. There are similarities, for example there is no ball involved.
2006 F250 Diesel

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
klr650goldwing wrote:
I'm thinking of having a receiver hitch welded to the 8 I-beams of our 5er. I'm thinking of two pieces of heavy duty square tubing welded at 90 degrees to the I-beams, spaced about 3 or 4 feet apart and welded to each beam. Then the receiver part of the hitch welded to both of the pieces of square tubing.

I'm hoping to haul a 388 lb. motorcycle on this hitch. Tell me what you think; pros and cons, or better ideas. Thanks.

After having read the entire thread (up to this point), I agree that using 2 receiver tubes is a =much= better idea. Personally, I'd also beef up the frame with a doubler/fishplate all the way to in =front= of the rear spring hangar, if not the equalizer, then 2-3 crosstubes to weld the receivers to. Yeah, probably overkill, but a whole lot easier on the frame. I also think that the extra weight back there won't be much of an issue with the pin; just make sure you stay within your total cargo capacity. If you find you have a handling issue, you might have to move cargo internally to help balance it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Well, that would satisfy the weight issue. But, wouldn't it be considered a double-tow? Or a triple tow; not sure the difference. That would mean it can only happen in the western states. Right?
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
What you will find here on RV.net, is folks will poopoo any idea that is different. Whether they have any experience or not, doesn't seem to matter.

Compare the weight of the bike and hitch to similar tongue weight of a trailer that some folks double tow. Think about how that compares. Would your fifth wheel be capable of handling a similar weight under double tow conditions?

I'm not going to dismiss the idea off hand.

When I was a kid, my dad rigged up a hitch to tow our motorcycle with the rear wheel down, and the front wheel in a saddle. It worked great. Can't back up of course, just like any other double tow. So your post got me thinking, and there are products available to do that. Here is just the first one that google served up:

https://www.tow-ster.com/home

Does that work behind a fifth wheel? Well, when you call them and ask, please post their reply. Thanks.
2006 F250 Diesel