cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help in deciding on truck

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a 2004 Flagstaff 5th wheel loaded weight is 9,000 Lbs. I pull it without any issues with a 2006 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 gas truck.

I am seriously considering a new truck to replace my Chevy. I am looking at a brand new 2013 (yes 2013) F250 Lariat 6.2 L gas truck. I test drove it Saturday and I really did like the truck.

I am also considering a used (certified) 2013 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Diesel with just less than 15,000 miles on it.

I have never owned a Ford truck always a Chevy. My best friend had a Chevy dealership and the buying process was so easy and simple. Well GM pulled their license in the last go round so I am forced to go to another dealer if I want Chevy.

My concerns on the Chevy are as follows:

1. I thought I read a thread or something stating that the side of truck bed was higher in the new Chevy's and that people had to flip the 5th wheels axles to get everything to line up again. How can I determine if I would need to do this if I buy a Chevy? If I do have to flip them what does that usually cost? Are there any drawbacks or potential harm in doing this?

2. I only pull my 5th wheel about 4 times a year and the longest trip is usually from SW PA to Myrtle Beach. I am happy with the gas engine I have now but I wouldn't turn down a diesel if the price is right. Is considering a used diesel a bad idea?

Regarding the Ford F250:
1. According to Consumer Reports they did not have to much favorable to say about the Ford. They claim the touchscreen computer fails and they rated it below average in reliability. I take this information with a grain of salt and would factor in the extended warranty to cover stuff like this. The salesman stated to replace the computer system costs around 3 to 4 thousand which is not cheap. So my question to the Ford owners is how reliable has been your truck? How many of you have had issues with the computer or touch screen in them?

I DO NOT WANT TO START ANY FLAME WARS BETWEEN FORD AND CHEVY OWNERS. SO PLEASE RESPOND WITH HELPFUL INFORMATION AND FACTS TO HELP ME DECIDE.

If there is anything else I need to consider please feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
13 REPLIES 13

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I will respond to only one item you addressed. My 2014 Chevy Dually (diesel) 3500 bed rails sits about 1 and 1/2 inches higher than the truck I traded. I traded a 2005 Chevy Dually diesel 3500. In order to get my new truck with my shell in my garage, I had to remove my ladder rack. But I can get it in the garage now. I don't know about any of the other brands how tall the bed rails are. But this is definitely something you need to consider if you're towing a 5er!

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
I have an F250 with the 6.2 and haul a 10,000lb+ 5th wheel. It pulls it effortlessly. I do lock out 6th. Since you currently have a gasser you will be used to let the engine rev to keep it in the power band.

No question the diesel would have no issues pulling that weight but the 6.2 is quite capable as well. You didn't mention the price difference, if any. Strictly a preference thing. You won't be disappointed with either.

S

Both the new Ford gas and the used Chevy Diesel were within $2,000 of each other.

The Ford however being a 2013 leftover I think the dealer has more incentive and room to lower the price.

$2000 wouldn't sway me either way. If it were me, I would lean toward the diesel with consideration given to payload. Take a look at both truck's yellow payload capacity label on the driver's door post. Maybe use that to help you decide? If they are within a couple hundred pounds of each other? I'd take the diesel.

Good luck.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
If you are happy with how your 6.0 pulls your trailer, you will love how the 6.2 pulls it. So no worries there.

Diesel is always nice for pulling loads. You will have to decide between a new gas truck, which will pull better than what you have, versus a used diesel, which will pull FAR better than what you have. Diesel really shines in mountain towing.

Just use a tape measure to compare bed heights on both. I don't think they have changed much between 2006 and 2013. Ford hasn't, not sure about Chevy.

Consumer reports is simply a waste of time.

I too recommend 350/3500, but 250/2500 will handle your fiver perfectly well, and those are the deals you have in front of you. No problem with that. They will handle it plus quite a bit more if you upgrade trailers in the future.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

RECVEH2005
Explorer
Explorer
It should be noted that ALL the "big three" truck manufacturers (Dodge, Chevy/GM, Ford) increased their truck bed side heights a few years ago which contributed to fiver clearance problems.

Mike
Mike & Donna Scheer
Green Valley, AZ, USA

2013 GMC SRW Crew Cab 3500 short-bed D/A
2013 HitchHiker Discover America 300 FK

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
I have an F250 with the 6.2 and haul a 10,000lb+ 5th wheel. It pulls it effortlessly. I do lock out 6th. Since you currently have a gasser you will be used to let the engine rev to keep it in the power band.

No question the diesel would have no issues pulling that weight but the 6.2 is quite capable as well. You didn't mention the price difference, if any. Strictly a preference thing. You won't be disappointed with either.

S

Both the new Ford gas and the used Chevy Diesel were within $2,000 of each other.

The Ford however being a 2013 leftover I think the dealer has more incentive and room to lower the price.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
With the heavier pin weight of a fifth wheel, and especially the 400 extra pounds that a diesel engine will add to the truck curb weight, you might consider a 3500 single rear wheel truck, so you are not way over the GVWR of the truck once you have it. . .

Fred.

I had the Ford dealer check and according to the official Ford publication the F250 can handle 12,300 pounds while the same equipped (engine etc.) F350 could only handle 12,200. We both were surprised by that.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
If you look closely his 2 listed choices are a close-out special price Ford and a used Chev. Kinda hard to upgrade either of those.

CR wouldn't know a HD truck if it bit them in the rear. Much less be able to rate them. MHO
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Delete - dup post.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I take anything I read in CS with a pound of salt. They blast HD trucks in general and refer to things like the number of cup holders and what the dash is made out of rather than discuss the functional abilities of the product.
They have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to trucks so be your own judge.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I would also consider the 3500 or F350. You can get overweight in a hurry. You might trade trailers down the line. The new Fords are really nice, and I have almost zero problems. Definitely no problems with the computer system. The Navigation and etc. works fine. I'm sure both trucks will serve you fine, just go heavy enough for future expansions. I'm very partial to the diesel. Both engines should be great.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
With the heavier pin weight of a fifth wheel, and especially the 400 extra pounds that a diesel engine will add to the truck curb weight, you might consider a 3500 single rear wheel truck, so you are not way over the GVWR of the truck once you have it. . .

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
If you are only towing 4 times a year why not keep what you have. Unless you are having problems with the truck. I bought a new truck and really like it but since I bought it our situation has changed and we only tow a few times a year. Now I wish I had just kept my old truck and fixed it up a little... it still had a few good years left in it.

But to answer your main question... Chevy and Fords seem to be equally liked or disliked. Some RVers report problems with their Fords and others report problems with their Chevys. It's difficult to know which you will have success with. Different driving styles, routine maintenance or not, load differences, road conditions, weather will affect the truck.