Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help on a color match

Rob412
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all

I'm new to the forum and looking for some assistance. I just upgraded to a 5th wheel after having a TT for about 3 yrs. on its first trip out the middle drawer on the entertainment center popped out and the drawer slides broke which put a gouge in the wood down to the floor. I have a call in to my local dealer but I'm looking into fixing it myself if need be. I have a 2013 Crusader 320RLT from Prime Time Mfg. I am looking for a color match to their wood stain color and where to get it. It's a project that I could do easily and after reading some of the posts and talking to others I'm not looking forward to the process. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
Home Depot sells some stain made by MinWax that looks like a sharpie, and it comes in many colors. When staining, you can make it darker, but you cannot make it lighter. If unsure which color would match, go with the lighter color and advance on to the darker. Fortunately, they aren't that expensive ( $5 ?) Camp on!

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like something I'd get the dealer to do. Take a picture and contact primetime and explain what happened. They've been great with me for warranty.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
If it is important to you that it look near perfect, I would suggest you try to purchase a replacement door front from the manufacturer. They buy those parts in quantity.

It won't be easy to do yourself, depending on how perfect you want it. But you can make it less noticeable with some careful staining and after a couple of years it will probably blend in nicely with the normal wear and tear. Don't try to sand it out or fill it. Just color match.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming the gouge is big enough it might need putty, there are a lot of putties made to closey match different colors do wood. If it's real wood it could be a soft hardwood like birch plywood or alder. Fir a small scratch a #2 lead pencil hides a lot.

If you can take a drawer with you I'd look for a paint supply place that caters to contracts and possibly a cabinet shop that custom builds and finishes.

Good luck,
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Different woods take stain at different rates. First is it wood or is it a vinyl wood look alike over particle board.

If it is wood, , you best bet is to take a sample to a local paint store with a blank piece of unstained wood. The fellows there can help with a Minwax stain or even a mixture. I installed a pair of doors that I had made by a local cabinet maker and wound up mixing two different stains to get the proper Light Cherry match. It took about 4 or 5 mixes to get it right and the match is perfect.

I got a scrap of the wood from the doors to make trial stains. I lined up several small plastic containers and used a 1/8 teaspoon to count out the mix ratio. I wound up at 6 of part A and 1 of part B to get a match.

If is the fake wood, get some of the touch some acrylic paints and mix aand match until you have the right color.

Good luck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot