cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Help with Small Toy Hauler Purchase

sncurtis
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize if this is a dumb question, I'm pretty new to the TT world and am very confused.

My husband and I were planning on purchasing a 2015 Skyline Aljo 160B toy hauler that is new but on closeout at a dealership so seems to be a good deal. Our tow vehicle is a 2008 Toyota 4Runner V6 with a 5K tow capacity and we have 2 dirt bikes at about 250 lbs each. When I first contacted the dealership about the trailer they said the unloaded vehicle weight was 2,300 lbs and the GVWR is 3,850 lbs which equals 1,550 carrying capacity.

However, after doing some more research I saw that on their website they actual list the weight as 2,965 lbs and similar units online have had a weight closer to that as well. I emailed the dealer about the listed weight and she insisted that the 2,300 lbs, not 2,965 lbs, was correct and it does in fact have a 1,550 carrying capacity. Am I wrong to think I'm being lied to here? We live in the middle of nowhere Wyoming and this dealer is about 400 miles away so we can't just stop by.

If the weight is actually 2,965 lbs with 3,850 lb GVWR that would only leave 885 lbs left for cargo and with our bikes being about 500 lbs total, that would mean my husband, dog and myself couldn't all be in the trailer at once with the bikes? That seems odd...

What am I missing here?

Thank you in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
The 3,850 rating is a 3,500 pound axle and 350 pounds of tongue weight.
Jeep and Explorer

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
sncurtis wrote:
I appreciate all of your responses. I was finally able to get a hold of the dealership on the phone and they confirmed my suspicion about the weight. It does weigh 2,965 lbs with a GVWR of 3,850 lbs. They double checked the axles to make sure. Despite their best efforts to convince us that's enough CC, we've decided to not get this trailer. Sadly, so far we haven't been able to find any other TH's that could accommodate our needs anywhere near us so not sure where we're going from here.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

We ALL know where you are going from here, up to you which road to take but crystal ball says and new TV is in your future so you can get the TH you really want.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Blackdiamond wrote:
I find it hard to believe it only weighs 2300 lbs, I have an enclosed trailer, 19'....totally empty, nothing inside but the floor and the frame is 2000 lbs.

Also the GVWR seems odd, they usually go by the axle ratings, most axles are pretty standard 3500 lbs then the next size up is 5000 lbs.

This is a small 19' single axle trailer 3500# axle
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

sncurtis
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all of your responses. I was finally able to get a hold of the dealership on the phone and they confirmed my suspicion about the weight. It does weigh 2,965 lbs with a GVWR of 3,850 lbs. They double checked the axles to make sure. Despite their best efforts to convince us that's enough CC, we've decided to not get this trailer. Sadly, so far we haven't been able to find any other TH's that could accommodate our needs anywhere near us so not sure where we're going from here.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

dcg9381
Explorer
Explorer
Everything at my local dealer is 3/4 ton towable and doesn't require anything but a class-C license.

At least according to the guys selling it. My state happens to disagree.

OP is doing the right thing by asking!

dedmiston
sncurtis wrote:
that would mean my husband, dog and myself couldn't all be in the trailer at once with the bikes? That seems odd...

Just one small correction there...

That capacity is for towing the trailer down the road. Don't worry about your own body weight when you load/unload the trailer. You're not going to bust an axle loading your gear.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Y-Guy
I won't say that all sales persons lie, but over the years the RV industry often dramatically fudged weight numbers. I think it's improved but it's still not totally trustworthy. Dealership could get it weighed, or they may have portable scales already. You can request this be done as part of an offer, by making it contingent.

The other factor is your vehicle limit of 5k might be less fuel and passengers. Is that number coming from your hitch rating or the door sticker?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

sncurtis
Explorer
Explorer
Blackdiamond - I thought the same on the GVWR but she sent me a picture of the brochure. This is exactly what it shows:

Unloaded Vehicle Weight - 2,300
Dry Hitch Weight - 400
Dry Axle Weight - 1,900
GVWR - 3,850
Carrying Capacity - 1,550

sncurtis
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both so much for your replies, this is very helpful!

I still haven't heard back from the salesperson I've been working with but I'm going to assume that the 2,965 lbs is the actual weight. There is a picture of the sticker you mentioned on their website that is hard to make out but looks more like 2,965 than 2,300.

With that said, should I be concerned if the trailer weight is 2,965 lbs with a GVWR of 3,850? With the 2 dirt bikes inside that only leaves about 385 lbs of excess carrying capacity before water/propane/etc. That doesn't seem like enough...

Thanks again!

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
I find it hard to believe it only weighs 2300 lbs, I have an enclosed trailer, 19'....totally empty, nothing inside but the floor and the frame is 2000 lbs.

Also the GVWR seems odd, they usually go by the axle ratings, most axles are pretty standard 3500 lbs then the next size up is 5000 lbs.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
All new trailers have a yellow sticker with the actual weight (uvw) as it left the factory, usually found on the screen door or in a cupboard. These weights can vary quite a bit from brochure numbers. Don't take the dealers word. Have them take a picture of the actual sticker for the specific tt and email to you.

On a side note, you're going to need to upgrade the receiver on your 4Runner. The stock one is only bolted to the cross member and is not rated, or strong enough, for use with a weight distributing hitch (which you will need with that tt). You'll want the one that bolts to the frame. It came on most V8 4Runners and the Lexus 470. Curt also makes a really nice aftermarket one. They are easy to install. Hardest part is accessing the bolts to get the old one off.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What are you missing........

GVWR is about max weight trailer can weigh while being towed......

Stationary/parked with stabilizers down you can throw a party and invite ALL your friends :B

The UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight) or 'dry' weight c=maybe listed as 2300#
The CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) may be 1,550#
BUT you have to subtract the weight of:
Full Propane cylinder 4.5 gal----20#
Fresh water capacity (full tank and Water Heater)17/6---23 gal/193#
Any Optional times that may have been added----????
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31