cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need new tires

coachman05
Explorer
Explorer
I have 08 rockwood 5th wheel that still has the original tires on it that I would like to replace. Currently it has carlisle st 205 75 15 on it but, Im looking to maybe go with maxxis tires. Anyways I dont really know much about tires so Im looking for some suggestions and help.
2008 8244 Rockwood
2003 1500 5.3 liter Silverado
30 REPLIES 30

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
As I said there are now a few tires with the new M speed ratings. Easy to find.. These are rated 81 MPH for example..

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Taskmaster/TR20515D.html

You cant believe everything you read about a certain tire having blow outs and are considered a junk china bomb..

There are just too many variables that are not told.

Examples,

hitting a nail or sharp object at highway speeds
Under inflation for the weight being carried.
Trailers with duel axles having the tire sidewalls flexed, pulled, pushed ect from owners making sharp turns backing in their trailers.
Driving faster then 65 MPH.

There is so much these owners dont tell you or dont really know why they got blowouts in the first place. Once the tire shreds apart it would be hard to tell what caused it..

Dont believe the hype..

Heat kills.
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

robrose1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had 2 sets of Maxxis tires on my last Jayco but I ran into an issue when one blew. Discount Tire is the only dealer around here for Maxxis and they never have them in stock. I blew one in San Diego and had to purchase another brand to get home. I went with Carlisle RH 2 years ago and so far it has been an excellent tire.
Rob and Rose
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29FWRLS
2006 GMC DURAMAX/ALLISON

coachman05
Explorer
Explorer
hitchikerman wrote:
I got my Maxxis at discount tire during the president day sale which ig going on right now...I got $160.00 off:)

Did you get the 160 take off the prices of the tires when you ordered them?
2008 8244 Rockwood

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
coachman05 wrote:
So did I just get lucky with the carlisle tires that are on the camper now? The tread still looks good on them but, acouple of tires have some small cracks in the side walls which makes me nervous plus they are 9 years old so I just figured its time. I found several different tires on amazon that range in price from about 80-100 bucks which Im not sure thats a good deal?

Either you got lucky, or you got an early set of the new model tires. ๐Ÿ™‚ There are people who have reported having other brands of China bombs on the spare rack, never having touched the ground, spontaneously exploding after only 2-3 years. Carlisles, for decades, were lumped in that category, too, but no longer. I would likely have a set of Maxxis on my FW, but they did not have them available at Discount Tire and I needed tires NOW, not in 2 days, so went with the Carlisles. At this stage, I'd have no problems buying another set for a FW < 11-12k GVW.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

hitchikerman
Explorer
Explorer
I got my Maxxis at discount tire during the president day sale which ig going on right now...I got $160.00 off:)

coachman05
Explorer
Explorer
So did I just get lucky with the carlisle tires that are on the camper now? The tread still looks good on them but, acouple of tires have some small cracks in the side walls which makes me nervous plus they are 9 years old so I just figured its time. I found several different tires on amazon that range in price from about 80-100 bucks which Im not sure thats a good deal?
2008 8244 Rockwood

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
coachman05 wrote:
I have 08 rockwood 5th wheel that still has the original tires on it that I would like to replace. Currently it has carlisle st 205 75 15 on it but, Im looking to maybe go with maxxis tires. Anyways I dont really know much about tires so Im looking for some suggestions and help.

The Maxxis are, by all accounts, good tires, but the newer Carlisles are giving them a run for your money. I don't tow > 65 mph, but the Carlisles do have a higher speed rating than the Maxxis do, so I figure that gives them a "safety" advantage over the Maxxis. I'm going into the 5th year on my Carlisles and, touch wood, they are still going strong.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are working on our 5th year for our Maxxis 8008 tires. Went from a D to an E rated tire. OP'er I would go up to a 225 if you have the room and go up the next weight class of tire. I feel you can never have to much capacity, just like you can never have to much truck.
Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, that's great service from an ST tire. The recently redesigned Carlisle ST tires are getting good feedback and might be a good choice since your last set lasted so long. Carlisle has been bashed to no end on their older ST tires and yet here is a set that lasted nearly a decade. Just goes to show you that any tire manufacturer can have some good and some bad over the years, although our Maxxis ST tires have performed without issue they are prone to the same issues that plague any ST tire when overloaded, under-inflated, or driven at speeds exceeding manufacturer's recommendations. For peace of mind mostly, we normally purchase a new set of ST tires every 5 years or so.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
md_procouple wrote:
We replaced ours with SAILUNS, and have not had a at problems as we blew out two of the Maxxis last spring on a 300 mi. Trip (1week apart). due to MFG. defects. We now have 1500 mi. on the Sailuns, not a problem. they have gotten pretty popular over the past few years for a foreign made tire.

The OP has a small trailer with 15" tires and wheels rated in the 2000 lb range. He sure don't need a load G tire at 4080 lb capacity/110 psi on that small trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
With over 30 members reporting issues with their Maxxis ST8008 I wouldn't say their the best. Not all Maxxis ST8008 have the nylon tread cap that helps hold the tire together.
However if you got good service and milage out of those old out dated Carlisle tires then the Maxxis may work for you

If your sticking with a ST I would go with the new and much improved Carlisle HD or Provider ST tires.

Or the best upgrade would be with a Goodyear Wrangler HT in a LT215/75-15 D at 2095 lb capacity for 7-9 years and 40k-50k miles of trouble free service6
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced ours with SAILUNS, and have not had a at problems as we blew out two of the Maxxis last spring on a 300 mi. Trip (1week apart). due to MFG. defects. We now have 1500 mi. on the Sailuns, not a problem. they have gotten pretty popular over the past few years for a foreign made tire.
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If your current Carlisle tires are still going, after nearly ten years, I'd just replace them with the new improved, higher speed rated Carlisle tires. They have been getting good reviews the past couple of years.

Jerry

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
MAXXIS and GY Endurance are available in 205/75R15-D for more capacity.
I run the MAXXIS that are great but I am partial to GY so next set will probably be the Endurance.

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis M8008 ST tires are proven and a great trailer tire. I'm on my second set and have had no problems with them. I hear Goodyear has a new ST tire coming out, but until they've been out a few years and tested in the real world, I'd stick with Maxxis.
Be sure to have the balanced with new steel valve stems.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo