cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need some advice from experienced RV'ers! [upgrade question]

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a 2001 Jayco 32 foot fifth wheel.

I've kept it in excellent shape. In the past 3-4 years it's gotten a new roof, all new brakes, new tires, new bearings, new ac, new fridge. Everything works.

I've used it camping in local state parks about 5-6 times per year since I've owned it. I've had it since 2013.

I've gotten to the point where I'd like to go on a full time RV trip lasting several months.

This 01 Jayco could certainly make the trip but I'd like something a little newer and with more creature-comfort features.

There's a local 2013 Dutchmen Infinity 3860 with auto leveling, two ac systems, four slides, automatic awnings, washer / dryer, a space I can turn into a mobile office to run my business, and it's about as fancy as it gets. It looks like it was hardly ever used.

The only potential issue I see is it's 42' 10" long. That would make it more difficult, albeit not impossible, to use it in the few FL state parks I've frequented. I checked and all the parks do have some slots that would accommodate it, just not as many as would handle a 32 footer.

The question for you folks is this: should I keep looking for a shorter model, or would this one be ok for touring around, often without a reservation? Do the privately owned camps generally accommodate 43' fifth wheels?

Am I going to run into problems with gas stations, etc?

With my current 32 footer I'm pretty good at not getting myself into trouble because I've learned to look into parking lots and gas stations before I commit to entering, to make sure I can get out easily.

The extra 11 feet has me wondering.
15 REPLIES 15

Sargehut234
Explorer
Explorer
I would keep what you have.You probably have a better bilt unit.

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
We moved from a 33ft to a 40 Kz G384RLT without a problem, love the room an it's well built with a dishwasher, convection oven, a TV that is bigger than the one we have in out house, really light inside not dark like many models now days, also it id 101 inches wide an pull like a dream ... https://www.kz-rv.com/fifth-wheels.html

As with other when moving up to a bigger 5th wheel you have to watch your pin weight, we have a F350 dually so for us that is not a problem, we have friends that pull their G384RLT with a SRW 3/4 but it's close on weight but per them pulls ok ...

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
They are giving more because they want your jayco they dont want the junk thor product till you bring it vack for all the repairs for them to make more money on

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
As others say โ€œyour $, your decisionโ€. Our opinions are worth what youโ€™re paying for them ๐Ÿ™‚

With that said. Think hard about getting a 43โ€™ unit. If youโ€™re going from commercial campground to commercial campground it shouldnโ€™t be much of an issue. If you want to stay at more tree lined places (state parks etc) that length will be a significant factor. We have a 34โ€™ unit, many spaces donโ€™t fit us but many do. At 43โ€™ I expect most places we stay have a few places that would fit, not a lot of spots; and some places would have no spots.

Other advice is worth considering too about your truck. You wouldnโ€™t be the first to fall into the cycle of bigger RV requires bigger truck...

Good luck with your decision.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
As I understand it your question is really about length vs. should I trade for a newer unit. I have a 40' unit I have no issues finding sites. Yes having a shorter unit would allow for more site selection at times. But I have no problems finding a site with my unit.
There have been plenty of improvements since 2001. Don't be afraid to make the move if you have found a unit you like.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Everyone's needs are different, as is everyone's own comfort level. In the end, the decision has to be yours, not ours. We can only give our opinion what we would do. In the end, you have to live with your decision. I know, sometimes it's not easy making decisions. All of life is a gamble. The day you get ready to leave for your life-time of an adventure trip, your 32 footer may decide to fall apart! The 42 footer may fall apart 20 minutes after you hitch up too. It's a roll of the dice.

On a more positive note, you know the history of your current camper. You know it's weak point and it's strengths. You've tested the waters with it, and you've found it to be dependable for you. Giving up this comfort and peace of mind is a bit threatening for an unknown.

One hand says to keep the existing camper. The other says get the newer one with more space that will accommodate your needs and future plans better.

It's quite obvious your heart want the new camper. It's quite obvious your head is out-thinking your heart! That's a good thing. (Keep the head in the oven and the heart in the deep freeze and you will come out ok).

There are many folks who have nothing nice to say about Thor Industries RV. I'm on my 3rd one and have been quite satisfied with all 3. Each of them had their own idiosyncrasies and required a learning, fixing, and adjusting curve time period. But in the end, all 3 turned out to be really great campers. But one thing you cannot be afraid of, is, doing your own repair work. As you know from prior RV ownership experience, they all require ongoing maintenance.

Now, my opinion about your dilemma? Get the bigger one! If you are working from the camper, you will appreciate the space. But, get it and use it before the full-time adventure begins so you can work the kinks out and get to know it like well fitting pair of shoes. Considering the unit you are looking at is a 2013 model, you will find one of 2 things:

1) all the kinks are already worked out and you'll find the camper in great shape. Anything defective has already been fixed under warranty, and you'll just have to deal with regular maintenance.

or...

2) the previous owner neglected everything and the camper is a mess and they are trying to get rid of it, just to get rid of a problem.

That is why you really, really, really need to inspect and test everything on the new camper before you buy. Make sure everything is satisfactory for you, and if you find anything that would suggest abuse, neglect, or someting about ready to be a costly disaster... drop this unit and move on. This is the most important part in your decision. Inspect it, if it looks good, feel good, and is good, then do it!

Thank you, DS.

Lots of great stuff in this post.

Yes, I really do want the new unit. I'm just tired of the old one. They offered me far more in trade than I think my old unit is worth. The new one looks just fantastic. I'd really love living in this thing for several months.

The lengthy being the only concern, I think I'd be able to handle it. I will have fewer options due to fewer sites being able to handle it but I can live with that.

It has a ton of optional features the current one does not have.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
keep your current unit. Next problem is do you have the truck to pull and carry the pin weight of a 42 ft trailer. Probably needs a 1 ton dually.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone's needs are different, as is everyone's own comfort level. In the end, the decision has to be yours, not ours. We can only give our opinion what we would do. In the end, you have to live with your decision. I know, sometimes it's not easy making decisions. All of life is a gamble. The day you get ready to leave for your life-time of an adventure trip, your 32 footer may decide to fall apart! The 42 footer may fall apart 20 minutes after you hitch up too. It's a roll of the dice.

On a more positive note, you know the history of your current camper. You know it's weak point and it's strengths. You've tested the waters with it, and you've found it to be dependable for you. Giving up this comfort and peace of mind is a bit threatening for an unknown.

One hand says to keep the existing camper. The other says get the newer one with more space that will accommodate your needs and future plans better.

It's quite obvious your heart want the new camper. It's quite obvious your head is out-thinking your heart! That's a good thing. (Keep the head in the oven and the heart in the deep freeze and you will come out ok).

There are many folks who have nothing nice to say about Thor Industries RV. I'm on my 3rd one and have been quite satisfied with all 3. Each of them had their own idiosyncrasies and required a learning, fixing, and adjusting curve time period. But in the end, all 3 turned out to be really great campers. But one thing you cannot be afraid of, is, doing your own repair work. As you know from prior RV ownership experience, they all require ongoing maintenance.

Now, my opinion about your dilemma? Get the bigger one! If you are working from the camper, you will appreciate the space. But, get it and use it before the full-time adventure begins so you can work the kinks out and get to know it like well fitting pair of shoes. Considering the unit you are looking at is a 2013 model, you will find one of 2 things:

1) all the kinks are already worked out and you'll find the camper in great shape. Anything defective has already been fixed under warranty, and you'll just have to deal with regular maintenance.

or...

2) the previous owner neglected everything and the camper is a mess and they are trying to get rid of it, just to get rid of a problem.

That is why you really, really, really need to inspect and test everything on the new camper before you buy. Make sure everything is satisfactory for you, and if you find anything that would suggest abuse, neglect, or someting about ready to be a costly disaster... drop this unit and move on. This is the most important part in your decision. Inspect it, if it looks good, feel good, and is good, then do it!

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
keep the 32 footer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Moving frequently with 43 feet of RV as in cross country trip isnโ€™t as much fun as using something shorter and you havenโ€™t really been traveling far or often with your current RV. Yes, many gas stations and government parks will bar your rig.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
while researching most (the many) of the campgrounds on our circuit we found that 99.7% inform you of the Size of RV they can Accommodate. So we plan accordingly. You're going on a journey 7-8 months long. I mean going out for up to a week or 2 at a time is one thing, but 6+ months is another, Peace of mind is a must and the last thing you want to be is UNcomfortable. I mean, you'll be WORKING out of that "thing" LOL, for crying out loud. Maybe you can use it as a write off too. Follow your heart, but change always comes with research and homework.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would keep the known before jumping into the unknown for a long trip but our Jayco is getting long in the tooth also.
Personally I would look for a shorter upgrade. We prefer Fed, State, and local parks and length makes a big difference in availability and choice. Ours is 38, and just changing the length in the search to 35 or even 30 makes a huge difference. Just check the pics to make sure that there are no rear obstructions like fences or trees. Our rear overhang is 9' or so. You may have to park your tow vehicle in overflow.
There are lots of folks that travel with huge units so it can be done. It's just a personal choice for me, I've been looking for a 32 to 35.
Puma 30RKSS

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Shorter model. What do you have for a truck and does that need anything before your trip?
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
If you like your present unit, spend (some) of the money you would invest in a much newer product, and as stated above......add some upgrades to your old unit. Very few new units can compare, quality-wise to the older units.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl