cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Fifth Wheel - finally figured it out yesterday...

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Took delivery of our first ever Fifth Wheel one week ago Tuesday. Last night, I FINALLY figured it out???? Why I have all these cuts, scratches, and bumps on the top of my balding head!

Reason? I keep whacking my head on the trailer fifth wheel hitch box and king pin! I finally caught myself scarfing my head on the thing!

Well ... that explains all the scabs this morning!
23 REPLIES 23

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Super_Dave wrote:
As a short person, I'm always shocked when I hit my head on anything.

Lol, me too!
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Since my husband is not learning, I'll have to do this for the bedroom slide since it's the one he always hits.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Swim noodles are the way to go!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I worry more about kids and people checking out the fifth wheel etc.
Couple smacks the first year and has not been an issue for me since.

A couple of years ago we had a teenager cut through our site at night while running around with his friends. He did not see out back gate down and nailed his forehead on it, hit sonhard we felt it inside. Luckily for him all he got was a not cut to his head and lots of embarrassment. We now run lights along the edge do not doesn't happen again.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Watch out for the corners of the bedroom slidetoo if you have one. We cut a short length of a swimming pool noodle and slit it to put onthose corners.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you are a slow learner..........me too!

1st time I whacked it I saw 'flashes'
Thought to myself---self that hurt do NOT do it again

2nd time I whacked it I had to have stitches in forehead.

There hasn't been a 3rd time

Pain IS a motivator
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I worry more about kids and people checking out the fifth wheel etc.
Couple smacks the first year and has not been an issue for me since.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Walk around it not under it :S

X2. Easy

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
After owning 5th wheels for over 28 years I still occasionally give my head a wack when exiting from under the overhang. I find that it usually happens when I am wearing a hat and loose perception on where I can safely raise my head. That's my story and I'm sticking to it..lol.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Get a couple "remove before flight" streamers and hang them on magnets from the pin box.

The cone, or =something=, on the ground below the box, works.

Split a pool noodle and wrap it around the edge of the box and bungee in place. Use the rest of the noodle to put on the corners of the bedroom slide. ๐Ÿ™‚ If you haven't hit it yet, you =will=.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
For the kingpin, it seems like a support tripod would be the best form of prevention.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on the upgrade. We switched to a fiver in 2005. Lots of head banging for a while. I beleive that I have finally learned. Be careful and Enjoy !!!
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I gotta say that being new as the reason for your whacking your head is no excuse. We've had our FW for 8 years and my DH still whacks his head. Even with the slide out corner protectors, he did it. Smart man, but he never remembers that he's walking under a slide out.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
After enough whacks you will stop noticing it. :B