cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Fifth Wheel

Ziphead2
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for opinions on Make & Models of new 5th wheels and why. We plan on upgrading the keystone we have now I know they are only opinions but I would like to hear them. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚
16 REPLIES 16

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we were in the market for a new or newer 5th wheel and had looked around in Michigan where we live and in Florida while down there for 3 months of avoiding the snow. We attended the huge RV show in Tampa and saw everything you can imagine in RVs. We finally settled on a Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE. We camped throughout the summer and fall back home and have been in Florida for a month this season and love our unit. No major problems and nice open floorplan.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
The one thing that would kill the deal is it usable with the slide(s) in!! If not I would not buy.

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Too many brand loyalist out there to get a realistic and objective opinion. It may pay to join a reputable RV review organization to get an average of experiences. Or hire a professional surveyor to get an objective evaluation of a particular brand or choice.
Be ware that some people will polish a terd in fear that their resale value will decline if they told you the truth.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I would get one that has enough windows, counter space, closet space, large holding tanks and that has the best warranty.

glkids2
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to add, pay attention the the fit and finish of the rigs at a rv show. While there are usually several rigs of each brand not all plans can be in the show. So if you see a brand that interest you look it up online and check out all plans and find a local(to you) dealer

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not a physic so I can't read your mind. Go to an RV show, as posted before and walk all the fivers, then let the DW decide!!! :B
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Searching_Ut wrote:
I went with the ultimate in scientific processes when we recently purchased our new rig. We looked at literally hundreds or gigs over the course of a year or so, with the wife thinking many were nice, but just Mehh. Finally she said that's the one and we bought it on the spot. I had my list of features I was looking for such as Tires, suspension, heat/air, insulation etc. and surprisingly her just right fit right in with what was important to me as well.

Usually married couples must compromise to keep the relation strong. It goes something like this. Wife likes 5'er A, Husband likes 5'er B. So they discuss both in great detail and the Husband compromises and gets trailer A.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
We wanted a lite 5'er in the 30' range with rear kitchen. Looked at numerous brands and floorplans. Keystone, Jayco, Heartland XLT, and many many more. Chose the Winnebago Lite Five series (now Voyage). The interior cabinets, trim, outside storage doors, fixtures, corian counters etc. were much better build quality. For a lite lower priced 5'er it had features that are normally found on higher models. Love the gel coat exterior and painted front cap.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the ultimate in scientific processes when we recently purchased our new rig. We looked at literally hundreds or gigs over the course of a year or so, with the wife thinking many were nice, but just Mehh. Finally she said that's the one and we bought it on the spot. I had my list of features I was looking for such as Tires, suspension, heat/air, insulation etc. and surprisingly her just right fit right in with what was important to me as well.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

stfnwuf
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
We did a ton of research before we traded in our Keystone Cougar FW two years ago. We settled on Grand Design because they had the floor plan we wanted at a price we could afford and a great reputation. We're still very happy with our purchase. With that said, there are quite a few good brands on the market today.

Jim

What Jim said. We just traded in our Cougar 244RLS FW for a Grand Design Reflection 337RLS. We get the new trailer on Friday. We compared the Keystone Montana, KZ Durango 2500, Jayco and Grand Design. We found the Reflection to be the right one for us. Our Cougar served us well and the only issue we had was with how the decals started peeling after two years. Otherwise, I think we did ok. This new one is meant for more extended stays and we are expecting many trips in in.
2016 Reflection 337RLS
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
Food source for one very ornery cat

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
We are happy with ours, but then we were happy with all the other brands we owned prior to this one ๐Ÿ™‚ Even the worst camper ain't bad ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
As stated, go to a large RV show, with many dealers, makes and models to look at. The one big thing to look for is the floor plan, that is the floor plan FOR YOU and your lifestyle! What may look like a little thing now, will grow and become a major obstacle to using the RV! Do not comprise you know, or have a pretty good idea of how you will use your RV, in your mind put yourself in those situations, how is the RV you are looking at going to fit those situations for you? When you have answered those questions then you will have narrowed the field too a couple of u its, then you can look at things such as value, quality, and such guide you in your final decision!

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
We did a ton of research before we traded in our Keystone Cougar FW two years ago. We settled on Grand Design because they had the floor plan we wanted at a price we could afford and a great reputation. We're still very happy with our purchase. With that said, there are quite a few good brands on the market today.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Try being a little more specific about what you want for length, weight, features, quality, layout. Maybe then you will get some answers.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel