cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to it all

Paul530
Explorer
Explorer
Hi my name is Paul and I am looking for any helpful info I can get from the experience toy hauler users out there. My wife and I are going to get involved in the lifestyle but know nothing about it. I guess my biggest issue at hand is what are most of you who are pulling at least 9-11000 pounds using to pull it with. I plan on spending around 30-40000 on at least a 30 toy hauler. Any info I can get on toy haulers or what would be best to pull it with would be a good start and well appreciated

Thank you experienced campers
Paul
6 REPLIES 6

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
Think about your destination, and what you are doing there. Dually, single, 4x4, old or new and that is just the tow vehicle. Our TH is mostly used as a TT, but has excellent TH capability. We picked up a nice used Stealth AK2612, and it is working out very well for us. However, with just one HD Ultra Classic in the garage and supplies for a 5 day trip, we are bumping up against the CGVWR for our SRW Dodge 3500 4x4. If you go DRW, you will have more options.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Our first toy hauler was 39' and we pulled it with a Ram 3500 diesel dually. I recommend starting smaller but it depends on your toys ๐Ÿ™‚

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Please keep in mind when you do go to buy a toy hauler everyone seems to have this thought you can pull a toy hauler with any truck do your research if you don't belong to an off road group join one. There's a lot of great information out there. Welcome and good luck.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
Get a 1 ton SRW diesel. Your, 9-11,000 lb., will be 12-13,000 lbs. before you know it. Especially if you plan on putting toys in the toy hauler.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

Frankandbeans
Explorer
Explorer
Any trailer weight over 8k..diesel all the way. No question.

A 9-14k GVWR, 30 foot-ish, a 3/4 ton diesel would be perfect.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We have an F350 dually that currently is used to pull our 32' travel trailer toy hauler, it's about 8000lbs loaded without a toy, closer to 10 with. The truck we have is overkill for what we have now, but we plan on upgrading to a 5er with a 12,000lb dry weight within the next year.

My advice is, buy the biggest truck you can, even if it is still overkill for what you're pulling. Very few people regret buying a bigger truck, but there's tons of people (including us originally) that regret not buying a bigger truck to begin with.

My first question for you is, what toys do you want to haul in your toy hauler?
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor