cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the forum

Retiredmarine
Explorer
Explorer
Desperately seeking feedback/advice. Shopping around for a 5er. Tow vehicle is a 2014 F250 Crew Cab Platinum Super Duty. All stock and no air bags yet. The 5er I'm thinking of is a 2015 Evergreen Bayhill. Dry weight is 12,734 and Dry hitch weight is 2,390. GVWR is 16,070. Hitch weight is 2390. Anyone know max I can put over rear axle for this truck? Is this too much weight to be pulling? Assuming I'll need at least an 18K 5er hitch? Any recommendation on what type of hitch.
13 REPLIES 13

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
kennethwooster wrote:
I had a 2011 F250, with the 6.7. It would pull anything but found that my 31' Cameo was too heavy. I did install airbags, and made it fine, but always knew I was overweight. I do recommend trying to go with a smaller trailer. We want to a 2014 F350 DRW. Really made for a better pull. These trailers get heavy before we know it.

Good job!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2011 F250, with the 6.7. It would pull anything but found that my 31' Cameo was too heavy. I did install airbags, and made it fine, but always knew I was overweight. I do recommend trying to go with a smaller trailer. We want to a 2014 F350 DRW. Really made for a better pull. These trailers get heavy before we know it.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be like everyone else that has a 250/2500 and wants a RV that is way too much for their truck, bag it and install 19.5's. You will be good to go! But for the cost a Dually would have been more appropriate and cost less.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
The Platinum is a pretty well optioned truck so if it's a diesel, you won't have much more than 2000lbs payload. Please look at your Tire and Load Capacity Label to determine your trucks capacity!!! You will be over your GVWR. Probably not exceed your RAWR of 6200lbs. Lets remind everyone that the F250 is an F350 with an F250 label.

If you are like a large number of 3/4 diesel owners who don't mind exceeded the "posted" GVWR, go for it. If not? Either buy an F350 or look at a lighter trailer.

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the forum, Semper fi.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you have the factory FW prep on your truck, the best hitch would be the B&W, for OEM Ford. It is a great hitch, good price, and plenty strong. It is also light weight!

Jerry

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
OP already owns the 14 250 in the heavy/fancy version, so doubt if he would be looking to trade up to the 350, even though he should.

The 250s have a RAWR of 6200, so that size trailer is too much IMO.

This only leaves several choices. Try to up the 250, to meet 350 requirements, or look for a smaller/lighter trailer.

If you have the diesel, you will be way over GVWR, but tire rating, and RAWR, are most important.

You will have to decide, what choice you want to make. Many out there are carrying way over ratings, just not what I'd do.

Good luck,
Jerry

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
Almost certainly he will be over on the numbers... Those numbers resemble my initial numbers before loading... loaded for a 3 week trip...truck.. trailer.. fuel.. passengers.. I am just shy of the total RAWR.. That's with a "15" 1 ton SRW..

ouch...again, I don't know RAWR rating of his truck, but if you have a 15' 1 ton SRW truck, then OP may need to look at a lighter 5er, based on your information
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Almost certainly he will be over on the numbers... Those numbers resemble my initial numbers before loading... loaded for a 3 week trip...truck.. trailer.. fuel.. passengers.. I am just shy of the total RAWR.. That's with a "15" 1 ton SRW..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
donn0128 is right. With around 3200 pounds of loaded pin weight you have to look at the RGAWR of the truck very carefully and you will be over the trucks GVWR most likely.

You need to provide the trucks scaled weight ready to tow, GVWR and RGAWR! Chris

Chris, believe Donn may be right, (cept I believe a 1ton SRW would suffice)...as I stated, OP needs to get truck weighed then look at what his rear axle weight rating is...pretty sure he'll be over his trucks GVWR, but we won't know about his rear axle weight....Also told him to use 5er's GVW instead of "empty or dry" weights.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 is right. With around 3200 pounds of loaded pin weight you have to look at the RGAWR of the truck very carefully and you will be over the trucks GVWR most likely.

You need to provide the trucks scaled weight ready to tow, GVWR and RGAWR! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Retiredmarine wrote:
Desperately seeking feedback/advice. Shopping around for a 5er. Tow vehicle is a 2014 F250 Crew Cab Platinum Super Duty. All stock and no air bags yet. The 5er I'm thinking of is a 2015 Evergreen Bayhill. Dry weight is 12,734 and Dry hitch weight is 2,390. GVWR is 16,070. Hitch weight is 2390. Anyone know max I can put over rear axle for this truck? Is this too much weight to be pulling? Assuming I'll need at least an 18K 5er hitch? Any recommendation on what type of hitch.

Welcome to the forum...When it comes to shopping for a 5er your truck can tow, it would be most beneficial if you skipped the "dry" or "empty" weights, (including pin weight) and use the actual GVW of the unit for "worse case" scenario...The unit you're looking at has a GVW of 16,070#...If you load 2,000#, you would be close to 15,000# which would give you a more realistic "ball park" pin weight of 3,000#, possibly...(use 20% of 5er's GVW to get a "ballpark" idea of what your pin weight might be...amount of weight you'll put in bed of your truck.

I'm not familiar with the GVW, RAWR or GCWR of a 2014 F250. You may not need air bags, (would only need if truck doesn't set level).

I would look on door jamb and see what your rear axle weight rating is...load the truck up, ready to tow with family, pets, full tank of DEF and full tank of fuel, if no 5er hitch at this time, after weighing truck at a CAT scale, add 200# to the drive axle weight.....

From there, you can figure out how much pin weight you can put in the bed of your truck...for example, if your truck, (loaded, ready to hook up and go), weighs in at 3200# ..don't forget to add an additional 200# to the drive axle weight for the hitch, and the RAWR of your truck is, again, just an example...7200# subtract 3400# from that and it'll give you an idea of how much "pin weight" you can put in the bed of your truck.

I know that 5er's of that weight have been towed with 3/4 ton trucks....I'd just do the weights, use some simple math and you'll get an answer as soon as you weigh your truck

What is rear axle weight rating, GVW and GCWR of your truck? (GVW less important, a lot don't use it...RAWR is far more important)....

hard to answer your question until we know some of your trucks specs..A lot of people tow heavy with 3/4 ton trucks, but one needs to do the weights and math...again, use the actual GVW of the 5er instead of "empty" or "dry" weight and take 20% of that to get a BETTER idea of how much pin weight you might put in the bed of your truck

Oh, noticed you're a retired Marine..Thanks for your service Marine....Semper Fi!!
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too much trailer for the truck. With any of the 2500 series type trucks you need to limit yourself to a fiver with around 12,000 GVWR to stay within factory limits. To comfortably tow that fiver you would really want a dually.