cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to us rig. Tire questions.

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
We have purchased a new to us rig. Currently we are in Florida for the winter. Purchased rig in Ontario over the internet - long story. Dealer offered a great deal plus will warranty the rig for one year.

Tire question

We have negotiated new tires on the rig. Rig is a 2011 Bighorn 3070RL. Dry weight 11.090 Dry pin 2300. GVWR 14000 Figure pin weight to be 2800 t0 3000 if fully loaded. The rig has 6000 lb axles and Load E 16 inch tires. We thought we would upgrade to G rated tires. We know we need to check rims to be certain they can handle the psi.

Is it over kill to go to G rated tires?
We have heard great things about Sailun tires. Heartland puts them on all their new rigs. I have heard them referred to as an LT/ST tire whatever that means.

If we upgrade to G tires does it matter that the sticker on the rig won't match? Will we be legal? Does it affect insurance?

I understand that it is illegal to run LT tires on a rig in Ontario. Again sticker won't match.

Also heard G rated tires run rough if over inflated for the load.

What tires should we have put on this rig?

Also we are looking for a new truck. 3500 SRW or dually? Can't decide.

Thanks for your help.
Liz
29 REPLIES 29

rustybore
Explorer
Explorer
No idea when Sailun will update its website info. As a rule of thumb, tire companies (from my observation over the years) are NOT super quick about such updating. Should these up dates be made by this time next year, that would not surprise me, although I would sincerely hope that it would be done sooner rather than later.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Sailun markets the S637 235/85-16 G at 3750 lbs/110 psi as a;
Applications:
Pickup & Delivery Trucks
Intrastate & Interstate Buses
Regional Trucks
Long Distance Trucks
Tractor Trailers
Low Platform Trailers.

Sailuns websites also says the 235/85-16 G is ;
* All steel construction specifically designed for Trailer application only.

This has nothing to do with being a ST tire (special trailer).

IMO Sailun is competing with the Goodyear G614 RST (regional service trailer) which also has nothing to do with the ST (special trailer) tire.

Can you show a link to your claims what Sailun says or is going to say that is different then their website ?? No disrespect meant....

Keep in mind the S637 comes in 17.5" and 19.5" and 22.5" truck tires which none of those sizes have a ST rating.

In the mean time all we have is Sailuns website info
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rustybore
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
What will be the speed rating of this tire ? Will it be 65 mph just like all other ST tires ?

OK it looks like these rebadged Sailun S637 tires (marked ST) will carry the 129/L service designation

rustybore
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I don't have any info yet on the speed rating, not sure which way it will go. Best advice would be to keep checking the Sailun website, as I'm sure it will be updated promptly there.

I suspect this change in markings has already taken place, but as yet we have not seen any of the ST marked tires - keep in mind that transit time from the manufacture to the local warehouse can be from 3 to 5 months.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
What will be the speed rating of this tire ? Will it be 65 mph just like all other ST tires ?

rustybore
Explorer
Explorer
"We have heard great things about Sailun tires. Heartland puts them on all their new rigs. I have heard them referred to as an LT/ST tire whatever that means."

Hi, new member here. I follow these types of threads and have registered just to let folks know that this Sailun 235/85R16G S637 tire will soon loose its LT designation and become an ST tire.

The tire is still the same, all steel trailer service only tire, the change in designation has to do with import tariffs which will apply to the LT but not to the ST tire.

Were these tires to retain the LT designated, the price would take a big jump, perhaps 50% or more!

Just for what its worth, we have sold plenty of these tires, with no problems of any kind.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
When I started RVing many years ago, I was advised to always purchase the truck for the NEXT 5th wheel, as it seems the next one is always heavier than the one you have now. It's been good advice for us over the last 20 years of towing 5th wheels.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
As some others have stated, you may not need the G rated tires. From the looks of your stated weights you would probably be okay with a SRW 1-ton truck.

However, usually most folks keep their trucks longer than their fivers. If you know 100% for sure that you will not be looking to trade for a longer/heavier fiver in the future, then there would be no need for a DRW.

I traded up and my weights increased just enough that I am now right at all my limits. I have to constantly monitor what I carry. Being full time it is a constant problem for us, so if we could turn the clock back to 2012 we would have purchased a DRW.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
NMDriver wrote:
LT (light truck) tires will generally have a higher speed rating (100 mph or more) than ST (special trailer) tires. Someone posted the speed rating for Maxxis ST tires here recently and if I remember right the highest speed rating was only 75 mph. Maybe someone else will have an exact figure for the tires you want.

Maybe overkill but I prefer a higher rather than a just right load range.

SRW with the right cargo capacity would be my preference--I should add it is just a cosmetic thing for me-I hate the looks of a dually pickup although I prefer a dually flat bed with short stake sides--No practical excuse for my taste.

"only 75":E....wow, I can't imagine towing at 75+ mph....gotta kill mpg and it's going to take some quick reflexes and one heck of a truck and trailer if one has to make an emergency maneuver or sudden stop running 75 + mph.....

I think some forget that when towing, approx. 20% of the 5er's weight is going to be carried by the tow vehicle...I had a Coachmen 3 slide 5er with a GVW of 14,000# , loaded to 13,500# with a pin weight of 2800#....that meant that 10,700# of weight was setting on my two 6,000# axles that had Michelin XPS RIBS rated for 3042# each times 4, meant they could handle 12168#...covering the axle weight and covering easily covering the actual 10,700# that was setting on the the two 6,000# axles.

Yeah, G rated tires would be overkill....if one doesn't want to spend the cash on the more expensive "E" rated RIBS, they could also opt for the Duravis R250's......also "E" rated.

Really no need for a tire that can handle 3750# each @ 110 psi...that's what I'm running on my 5er that has a GVWR of 16,950# with 7,000# rated axles...

For no more than the 5er you are purchasing weighs, you should be able to tow it with a 3500 SRW truck, pick a brand.....Having towed the same 5er through the mountains with a SRW truck and a Dually, I prefer the dually for stability...but again, for only 14,000# GVW, you should be able to tow that easily with a 3500 SRW truck

I personally LOVE the looks of the dually and the stability it offers on mountainous, curvy secondary roads is a major plus..but not necessarily needed for a 5er with GVW of only 14,000#.....also again, E rated tires will work just fine.

What NC said.

BTW - I tow approx the same as the OP and NC - with a SRW (short bed) - often in the west coast Mountains.

No dually desired, however -

*IF* I ever have a seriously *heavy* 5th - the "dually" will be a singled class 8 tractor (HDT).
Real Jake brakes are hard to beat anywhere - especially in the mtns..;)

So - if a dually rings *your* chimes - go for it!..:C

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
rtate wrote:
Bamaman1 wrote:
A fifth wheel with a dry weight of 11.090 and a dry pin weight of 2300 maxes out the capability of a single rear wheel truck. I would suggest you go to a 1 ton dually truck.

You could certainly go to G rated tires, however it's probably not needed. Yes, the Sailun tires are good, but you'll have to look far and hard to find a dealer if you need a replacement tire.
You'd just as well to go a high quality LT/E tire like the Bridgestone Duravis R250 ribbed tire, the Michelin XPS ribbed tire or even the G614 Goodyear tire.
If you go to such a tire, don't worry about stickers or insurance. You'll be perfectly within weight limitations.
If you have a question about legalities and LT/E tires, you should contact the authorities in Ontario for the answer.

Sorry, but thst wouldnt come close to maxing out my SRW. I have a payload of 4200 lbs.

Agree:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Is it over kill to go to G rated tires?
We have heard great things about Sailun tires. Heartland puts them on all their new rigs. I have heard them referred to as an LT/ST tire whatever that means.

Your 14000 lb GVWR trailer with 6k axles may be close to max loads on a 3042 lb capacity LT load E tire. The Sailuns S637 LT would be a good upgrade. Just make sure your present wheels are 110 psi rated.
The Sailun S637 G load range LT tire and (3750 lb capacity) is a commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire and is a upgrade in every way to any ST tire brand.

If we upgrade to G tires does it matter that the sticker on the rig won't match? Will we be legal? Does it affect insurance?

I understand that it is illegal to run LT tires on a rig in Ontario. Again sticker won't match.

There is nothing legal about the tire placard when tire replacement time comes for the vehicles owner in Canada or the USA.
Lots of internet myth about the tire placard having some type of legal aspect for the trailers owner when he chooses a tire.
Just make sure the tire meets or exceeds the load requirements per the gawrs.

Same with insurance requirements. Hell if using LT tires on trailers was any law anywhere trucking would be shut down.

Also heard G rated tires run rough if over inflated for the load.

What tires should we have put on this rig?

Yes the G tires at 110 psi will ride rough however which pressure to use depends on how much load is on the tire. Tires on the trailer work better when operated at their max pressures so over sizing the tire at some point creates issues.

I always weigh my trailers separate axles so I know for sure which tire would give me some (10-20%) reserve capacity as a minimum.
If your trailer axles weights were in the 2800-2900 lb range the Michelin XPS Ribs or Bridgestone R-250 in a LT235/85-16 E at 3042 lbs capacity would be a good upbrade over any ST tire.
Both tires are also another commercial grade all steel ply carcass and even recommended for commercial trailer service which makes them tops for a RV trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
To the OP my unit lists G-rated LT tires on the placard as OEM and H rated LT tires were installed before leaving dealership.

This is a recent (JAN 2014) bulletin released by Goodyear Tire which will have been blessed by their corporate lawers and legal counsel for both Canada and the US.

I am quoting the following bullet from it
• Light Truck (“LT”) designated tires do not have the same load carrying capacity as ST tires.
If LT tires are used on trailer applications, the inflation pressure and/or tire sizing will need
to be adjusted to match the load carrying requirements of the trailer.

I will never trust the inflated ST tire rating capacities that at set at a lower speed rating than LT Tires for a single moment so this comment is entirely inline with my belief that Goodyear does understand the concept that properly rated LT tires are a perfectly acceptable application on a recreational trailer.
Keeping in mind that there is no law on the books in either country that refers to anything other than the sum of the tires equal or exceed the GAWR they are on.

This trailer towing guidelines reference is from the province of Alberta Min of Transportation.

And I quote from it
Tires
• The original manufacturer of your vehicle and trailer will designate acceptable tire
sizes and type; any replacement tires should meet these requirements. A couple
requirements that apply to tires to be aware of:
o On-highway vehicles must use tires that are designed for on-highway use
o Tires have a rated carrying capacity, the sum of the total rated capacity for
the tires on an axle must be greater than the GAWR
o Alberta Transportation recommends that all tires that share an axle be the
same

I interpret the comment "meet these requirements" to mean that if I choose to exceed them I am perfect able to.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

rtate
Explorer
Explorer
Bamaman1 wrote:
A fifth wheel with a dry weight of 11.090 and a dry pin weight of 2300 maxes out the capability of a single rear wheel truck. I would suggest you go to a 1 ton dually truck.

You could certainly go to G rated tires, however it's probably not needed. Yes, the Sailun tires are good, but you'll have to look far and hard to find a dealer if you need a replacement tire.
You'd just as well to go a high quality LT/E tire like the Bridgestone Duravis R250 ribbed tire, the Michelin XPS ribbed tire or even the G614 Goodyear tire.
If you go to such a tire, don't worry about stickers or insurance. You'll be perfectly within weight limitations.
If you have a question about legalities and LT/E tires, you should contact the authorities in Ontario for the answer.

Sorry, but thst wouldnt come close to maxing out my SRW. I have a payload of 4200 lbs.
2014 Ram CTD 4x2 SRW 3.42 68 RE auto trans
Big Horn 3055RL

Restless

San Marcos Tx

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Bamaman1 wrote:

Why do you use dry weights?...they're good for only one thing, to figure how much CCC the 5er has ..dry pin weight is REALLY a joke...Take the GVW of the 5er, figure 20% of that and you'll be close until you do the weighing.

If I'm not mistaken, the 5er the OP is talking about has a GVW of 14,000#, (that's loaded to the max), and that would equate to a pinweight of 2800-3000# (worse case if 5er is loaded to it's max GVW.. again, E rated tires will work just fine.

Ford, GM and Ram ALL make a 1 ton SRW truck that will handle a 5er' with a GVW of 14,000...easily.....the newer 1 ton SRW trucks have higher GCWR's, RAWR's and higher GVWR's...The Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4X4 has a GVWR of 12,300#...same GVWR as my 2012 1 ton crew cab, long bed 4X4 truck had and a GCWR of 25,00#..( I used that truck as an example because I have the brochure with all the information on the trucks).

Yeah, the newer 1 ton SRW trucks manufactured and sold in today's market should be able to easily handle a 5er with a GVW of only 14,000#...
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet