cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Toy Hauler

KTMsc
Explorer
Explorer
We are trying to decide on a new trailer.
The current candidates are the Carbon 327 and the Torque 321.
These are very similar units and we are looking for personal experience with these models or at least these brands.
We are open to others as well if someone has a recommendation.
Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't want to give you the wrong impression but I would think it should do ok. Just do keep in mind I know the ford 6.7 has quite a bit more power than the earlier versions of the dmax in stock forms.

The carbon 327 was one of the lightest that we could find considering its features and as I said we are happy, but I know when it is time to replace the truck I will go drw....for now it is working just fine.

My father has a 07 dmax drw and tows a 40' cross terrain, his truck is stock and has never had an issue, I know his trailer is heavier than mine.

Also one thing if you do look at the carbon 327 I would consider having them install a second awning over the garage entry door. This weekend we got a lot of rain and found the main awning does a poor job of covering the main entry door.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
really looks like a nice rig.

the reason I asked about pulling is that I have an 04 Duramax 2500. I had airbag helper springs on my last truck. Food for thought if I were to upgrade trailers.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
similar situation I had dealers out on the east claims nobody wants toyhauler so they have very limitied stock. When we were shopping I wanted at least a 12' garage and nothing over 40'.
Carbon 327 was the first that we saw that we could both agree on and so far have been happy, although we do miss having a dining table and chairs like our previous trailer had.

KTMsc
Explorer
Explorer
I have checked a few of the larger dealers and their prices are pretty good, however I'm getting 4k shipping quotes that erase most of the savings.
There must be an aggressive dealer somewhere in the western half of the counrty?

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought. You could order from a big dealer in OH and have it delivered. It will probably still be much less expensive than local. We chose to travel there but many order and get theirs delivered. 35% off + is the norm...
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

KTMsc
Explorer
Explorer
Found a Carbon 327 to look at this week, now if I could find a Torque 321 somewhere close I'd be in business.
Anybody have a good dealer in Northern Ca. or reasonably close to they would recommend?
I don't mind traveling a few hundred miles either for the right package.

taken
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
I cant vouch for it being a derated 350

I can.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
I cant vouch for it being a derated 350, im not Ford, but I do know t is very similar.
As for how it pulls the 327, I was in the white mountains last weekend and it never missed a beat, the 6.7 diesel has zero issues when it comes to power. I am running air bags to help level it, yes I have band aids on my truck as some would say.

Also I think having the length of a crew cab long bed helps with the 38' trailer.

taken
Explorer
Explorer
LowRyter wrote:
1jeep wrote:
I recently purchased a carbon 327 paid $48k after some haggling, mine came loaded even has 3 batteries and generator. So far we love it and yes it is the lowest priced 5er toy hauler from keystone, but we really don't need a side by side fridge or stereos with 12 inch woofers.

how does a 3/4 ton pull that large hauler?

Well, since his F250 is just a de-rated on paper SRW F350, I'm guessing he's doing just fine.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
I recently purchased a carbon 327 paid $48k after some haggling, mine came loaded even has 3 batteries and generator. So far we love it and yes it is the lowest priced 5er toy hauler from keystone, but we really don't need a side by side fridge or stereos with 12 inch woofers.

how does a 3/4 ton pull that large hauler?
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

taken
Explorer
Explorer
KTMsc wrote:
I have been looking at units and really like the XLR ThunderBolt 340X12.
Pricing is in the ballpark, just wondering about how well these are made and how Forest River is for support.
I have also looked at the Grand Designs 348M which is nice , but a lot more money.
Are they really 20k better?
I don't want problems and will spend more if needed.
Thanks

I just went through this and bought an XLR so hope I can help. We bought at a distant dealer. Jeff Couch's RV Nation was over 9k less than my nearest dealer and were amazing to deal with. We opted to travel the 800+ miles to get ours. Was a fun road trip. However, others choose to have theirs delivered and from what I hear, Couch's has a very reasonable program for that. If you want to check your local dealers price, do a build and price on Couch's web site. It works just like a car website but they email you the quote at the end. No, they won't harass you if you give them your email, but if you do call, ask for Brannon. He's the best. Our XLR 395AMP was top notch and couldn't be happier. We did have some small warranty issues that some will tell you will be an issue if you buy out of state. Personally, I'd prefer to do my own warranty work as opposed to dragging 40+ feet of RV to some dealer only to have it sit two weeks waiting for some inadequate tech to fumble through the repair with his dirty shoes in my RV all the while forgetting to put a few screws back in. Anyways, Couch's has taken care of any issue we have had by sending warranty replacement parts and if they wanted the defective part back, they included a return shipping label. I have also dealt with Forest River directly. More specifically the XLR division on a couple of things. They have been OUTSTANDING in taking care of any issue I had. I've found them to be accessible from the standard warranty rep all the way up to the plant manager himself. Bottom line, all new RV's will have some issues. I have found, by dumb luck perhaps, that XLR and Couch's are just the best in the business at getting you back to straight ASAP. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me anytime. I'd be glad to help in any way I can...
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

KTMsc
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking at units and really like the XLR ThunderBolt 340X12.
Pricing is in the ballpark, just wondering about how well these are made and how Forest River is for support.
I have also looked at the Grand Designs 348M which is nice , but a lot more money.
Are they really 20k better?
I don't want problems and will spend more if needed.
Thanks

taken
Explorer
Explorer
jlud, the non AMP Thunderbolt XLR's are a little less money with a few less standards and options but still great rigs. If anyone wants a good way to find a competitive price on an XLR, (or any other brand they carry) go to Couch's RV Nation's website and do a build and price. It's just like you do with a car. They only difference is they email you the quote. Yes, they will now have your email address but they don't hound you at all like RV Wholesalers does.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

jlud
Explorer
Explorer
I almost purchased an XLR 300x12...loaded with auto hydraulic leveling system, remote controls for everything, generator, extreme weather pack, party patio with awning, 2nd AC, etc was under 45,000 (not counting tax)