cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New truck.....now what?

BusaGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new to me 2012 Ram 3500 Dually 4*4. This truck sits higher than my 2004 ram did. I am going to have new 5th wheel rails installed but how do I get the correct highth to clear the bed of my new truck?
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DWR Cummins Powered
2014 Wild Wood Heritage Elite
DW, DD's, DS, and our 2 little dogs!!
23 REPLIES 23

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BusaGuy wrote:
Well, I lowered my hitch one notch and hooked up the camper. The truck squated and I have about 7inches of clearance between the camper and the bed rails so I should be good to go. I sure do feel better. The setup looks level so I don't have to worry about the camper riding too high either. What a relief!!!

Perfect example of check it out first before spending a bunch of money.

Happy it worked for you!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
The new trucks settle more with load vs older trucks. Hitch up before you get to worried. Chris

That is fact! That is how they newer trucks ride better.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
New truck.....now what?

Hook up the trailer "first" and then see what it if anything it needs. ou may be worrying about nothing.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
glazier wrote:
MtnRanch wrote:
I'd like to buy a 2015 Chevy/GMC 2500HD but I measured the height from the ground to the top of the bed rails and it is 59 1/2". That's 1/2" more than the distance from the ground to the bottom of my 5th wheel and I don't think my 5th is unusual. I understand that the truck will sag a bit but not until I connect and certainly not enough to give me reasonable clearance with a level trailer.

If anyone knows of a lowering kit please speak up. The trailer is already spring-over-axle so not much room to go there. It has a MorRyde suspension so I can't use the wheel alignment kit that raises the trailer by 2".

What were GM engineers thinking? I asked a dealer about this and they pulled out a tape measure, made the same measurements that I did and then just gave me a befuddled, glazed stare.

I thought I'd ask some owners while I'm on this cross country trip. So far I've stayed in about 20 RV parks and I've yet to find a late model Chevy with a fifth wheel. Maybe that says it all.

I don't have a problem with my current setup.

MtnRanch
How did this work out for you? I have the identical truck to glazier but it is not here yet from Michigan. My theoretical numbers differ than glaziers but it appears I will be ok as well if my truck reacts like glaziers.
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
MtnRanch wrote:
Glazier - what is the distance between the bottom of the trailer and the ground when the trailer is sitting level? How much clearance are you getting?

My truck pulls almost perfect level with my pin weight. My trailer is about 1" Nose High.

No Pin weight on my truck, just my hitch and full tank of fuel, no passengers- Top of Bed Rails in Rear = 57-1/2"

Loaded With Pin Weight, Top of Bed Rails in Rear - 55-1/2

Truck Squats 2" under Pin Weight

Bottom of trailer after hooked to hitch, ready to roll - 63-1/2"

Bed Clearance = 8"
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

MtnRanch
Explorer
Explorer
Glazier - what is the distance between the bottom of the trailer and the ground when the trailer is sitting level? How much clearance are you getting?

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
MtnRanch wrote:
I'd like to buy a 2015 Chevy/GMC 2500HD but I measured the height from the ground to the top of the bed rails and it is 59 1/2". That's 1/2" more than the distance from the ground to the bottom of my 5th wheel and I don't think my 5th is unusual. I understand that the truck will sag a bit but not until I connect and certainly not enough to give me reasonable clearance with a level trailer.

If anyone knows of a lowering kit please speak up. The trailer is already spring-over-axle so not much room to go there. It has a MorRyde suspension so I can't use the wheel alignment kit that raises the trailer by 2".

What were GM engineers thinking? I asked a dealer about this and they pulled out a tape measure, made the same measurements that I did and then just gave me a befuddled, glazed stare.

I thought I'd ask some owners while I'm on this cross country trip. So far I've stayed in about 20 RV parks and I've yet to find a late model Chevy with a fifth wheel. Maybe that says it all.

I don't have a problem with my current setup.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

MtnRanch
Explorer
Explorer

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2003 3/4 ton Ram 4x4, now I have a 2012 Ram 3500 dually 4x4. I still tow the same trailer without any issues. First I have the shackles on the suspension up to the top bolt hole and adjustment of the pin box. I also use a B&W 3300 and it sits at the top setting. I measured the other day and I have 9 in of clearance. My truck squats about 2 inches with the loaded fiver. It rides level. My hitch sits just below my rails with at the highest level. My old RBW hitch sat way low and this is the problem that can be fixed but you need the proper hitch.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

BusaGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I lowered my hitch one notch and hooked up the camper. The truck squated and I have about 7inches of clearance between the camper and the bed rails so I should be good to go. I sure do feel better. The setup looks level so I don't have to worry about the camper riding too high either. What a relief!!!
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DWR Cummins Powered
2014 Wild Wood Heritage Elite
DW, DD's, DS, and our 2 little dogs!!

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Put a lowering kit on the truck don't screw up the trailer.
HR

Alannyiri
Explorer
Explorer
I was concerned about this same issue. We purchased a RW 38GK last September at the Hershey RV Show, and the dealer agreed to store it a year since we don't start FT until the end of 2014. This gave me time to get the best TV for our useage. I had already decided that a standard pickup box would offer awfully low clearance and little lockable storage, so I started looking for utility bed bodies I could mount on a Ram 3500 crew cab chassis cab dually, and found the Knapheide Westerner body. The bed sits an inch higher than the standard pickup, but the rails are seven inches lower, so this should give me plenty of clearance while also giving us about 40 cubic feet of lockable storage for tools and stuff. This rig will be delivered in June and will go to the Knapheide dealer, where they'll install the body. They will have to fabricate some brackets for the 22K Reese's hitch, but this shouldn't be a big problem. The moment of truth will come when I get the TV and drive the 300 miles to the RV dealer to pick up the 5er. It may be perfect, we may have to adjust the height of hitch and/or pin box, or it may all go horribly wrong. I did the research for two months, but some times the best laid plans of men... ๐Ÿ™‚ If I had the $30K I'd have ordered a hauler body from Classy Chassis, but that was too rich for my blood. I'll let you know how it all works out.
Angele & Alan & the Four MusKateers
Redwood 38GK (42 ft)
Ram 3500 Crew Cab, Dually chassis cab: Knapheide Westerner body
Will start full timing 2015

Shepherd
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2" leveling kit installed and helped in my situation, as noted relocating the spring pack spacers well also lower the bed.:C
2018 Ram 3500 CC aisin/4.10
2014 Rushmore Monticello

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about the newer trucks but on the older one I had I pulled a spacer block out that was under the spring pack and put it on the top which lowered the rear of the truck almost two inches. Was great cause it was easier to work out of and was at no cost to me.
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax