cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie 5th Wheeler

Miss_Ellie1
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased a new 5th wheel and haven't even picked it up yet. Will be going from Maryland to Florida in early January and have rented a spot in an RV park. Hopefully you all will not think this too dumb but the place has sewer hookups and hard wired for computers. Does sewer hookup mean I can just connect a few hoses and it will work just like the toilet at home and I will not need to do the dreaded black tank thing? Also what does the hard wired mean for the computer access. Can I just plug that in like I do at home where I have a server or do I still need to take the hot spot?
16 REPLIES 16

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
R12RTee wrote:
The hardwired computer connections I have had at parks is through the cable TV coax. The wifi provider/installer comes to our site and completes the connections by installing a router in the camper. Check with the campground and ask if this is what they mean.

that is the way the park I am going to in FL does it, only you have to go and rent the modem and hook it up yourself. That being done, the modem has wifi so i do not hard wire the puter to it.

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
To keep food particles from getting into the gray tank we use screen covers over each drain, keep the odor down.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
The hardwired computer connections I have had at parks is through the cable TV coax. The wifi provider/installer comes to our site and completes the connections by installing a router in the camper. Check with the campground and ask if this is what they mean.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Miss Ellie wrote:
Purchased a new 5th wheel and haven't even picked it up yet. Will be going from Maryland to Florida in early January and have rented a spot in an RV park. Hopefully you all will not think this too dumb but the place has sewer hookups and hard wired for computers. Does sewer hookup mean I can just connect a few hoses and it will work just like the toilet at home and I will not need to do the dreaded black tank thing? Also what does the hard wired mean for the computer access. Can I just plug that in like I do at home where I have a server or do I still need to take the hot spot?

Lots of good advice, so far. You might also check with your dealer to see of they offer an overnight at their lot for a "test drive". Whatever you do, when you pick up your FW, if you don't spend =at least= 2 hours going over everything, and I mean =everything=, you're getting short-changed. I've seen people on here post about 4-6 hour PDIs! Look up videos and articles on doing a "PDI", or pre-delivery inspection. Some people will do an unaccompanied inspection on quality issues, then do the "systems" PDI with the dealer rep. If you notice =anything= that is seriously out-of-whack, do NOT sign the paperwork until it's fixed. Take notes about small issues that will need to be addressed and even video the entire thing. Better yet, if you have family or friends that are experienced RVers, take them with you to help you go over the rig to make sure everything is working properly and to help you learn how to use everything. You might even caravan down to FL with another RVer to have them help you.

Lyle

Excellent PDI checklist from 2010 - see 2nd post by "SooperDaddy".

Good then - just as good now!..:C

PDI checklist

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Miss Ellie wrote:

Lots of good advice, so far. You might also check with your dealer to see of they offer an overnight at their lot for a "test drive". Whatever you do, when you pick up your FW, if you don't spend =at least= 2 hours going over everything, and I mean =everything=, you're getting short-changed. I've seen people on here post about 4-6 hour PDIs! Look up videos and articles on doing a "PDI", or pre-delivery inspection. Some people will do an unaccompanied inspection on quality issues, then do the "systems" PDI with the dealer rep. If you notice =anything= that is seriously out-of-whack, do NOT sign the paperwork until it's fixed. Take notes about small issues that will need to be addressed and even video the entire thing. Better yet, if you have family or friends that are experienced RVers, take them with you to help you go over the rig to make sure everything is working properly and to help you learn how to use everything. You might even caravan down to FL with another RVer to have them help you.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fulltime5er
Explorer
Explorer
Miss Ellie wrote:
So do I need to move the trailer to the dumping station every week or so and clean out everything or can I leave it parked and with the full hook up can you dump it right there?

Yes, with full hookups, you do not have to go to a dump station. Just leave the sewer hose hooked up, and pull the tank valve open when needed.
2013 Ford F350 Crew Cab, 4x4 Long bed, DRW, 6.7 Diesel, 3.73,
2014 Cedar Creek 36ckts
B&W Companion hitch (puck type)

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Also YouTube videos are a great resource. You and hubby should both watch them.

Miss_Ellie1
Explorer
Explorer
Not going alone but will probably be taking a short hop Thanksgiving to test out the process. I have a husband but need to know how to do these things and understand what is going on. We are both new to Rving.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Miss Ellie wrote:
So do I need to move the trailer to the dumping station every week or so and clean out everything or can I leave it parked and with the full hook up can you dump it right there?

Not if you have a FULL hookup site

As mentioned FULL hookup is water, electric and SEWER

You will be able to dump black/grey waste tanks right there at the site

IS this your first RV?

Are you going alone?

Talk to campground neighbors when you get there about setting up and how to do things.
THEY WILL HELP all you have to do is ASK.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Miss_Ellie1
Explorer
Explorer

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of people seem to think it is ok to leave the grey tank "open"? First, if you leave the grey tank open, you leave a way for bugs and other creatures to crawl up into your tank. This will cause problems. Two, when washing dishes, even if you are careful, garbage will be washed into the tank. Over time this garbage will build up in the grey tank, and rot! Ever been in a city when there was a garbage pick up strike? Not pretty, and in some ways a worse smell than from your black tank. Third, the water in the grey tank tends to be soapy, from dish washing, hand washing showers, and shampoos. I use this to my advantage, by draining the black tank first, then draining the grey tank. It helps clean the plumbing with the soapy water. BTW, the tanks, both black and grey are called "holding tanks"! There is a reason they are called holding tanks, it is because they are designed, engineered, and manufactured to HOLD there contents until dumped! When you pick up your fiver, you will do a walk thru, pay attention take notes, have someone video it if possible. During this PDI, make sure they show you how to connect the sewer hose, which valve is for the black tank, and which is for the grey tank. It is only a 5 or 10 minuet "drill" that you will have to do at least once a week, but it is no big deal! Good luck on your purchase!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is the routine I have developed over our winters in Arizona.

1. Get a clear sight adapter and put it between the trailer and the sewer hose.
2. I leave the black tank closed for a week at a time. Grey tanks open.
3. I form a pee trap in the sewer hose with a couple boards, one 2x and a 4x4.
4. To dump and flush, I remove the pee trap boards.
5. Close the grey water tanks.
6. Open the black water tank and turn on the hose to the built in flush system.
7. Watch the sight tube until I am down to just hose water coming out.
8. Go inside and do two full bowl super flushes. "Bomb the Pile!" Note: Full bowl means filling the bowl to the bottom of the upper rim.
9. Go back outside and view discharge.
10. Close the black water tank and run the flush water in for four(4) minutes. Do not let anyone distract you at this point.
11. Open and drain and repeat 10 again.
12. Flush a bit and verify that you have nice clear water coming out of the tank. If not go back to step 8 and start again.
13. When you have nice clear discharge, put the pee trap boards back the sewer line and fill the pee trap.
14. Close the black water tank and add about a minute worth of water to the tank with the flush hose.
15. Secure the flush hose. I have a little inline valve adapter at the side of the trailer and the other end get turned off.
16. Open the grey water tanks and go add your chemical to the tank.

I have had the burping a couple of times, however the super flushes seem to have fixed that issue.

Having piles in not good!!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
When you pick up they will go over all the systems with you. Reason you don't just leave your tanks open is the liquids will go down drain and solids will remain. Lol yuck. Also hopefully your new fiver will have a black tank rinse. Hook hose and let it do its thing. I've never had tank smell with the rinse.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Miss Ellie wrote:
Also what does the hard wired mean for the computer access.
I'd suggest asking them. I don't know.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman