cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie here - Stupid question perhaps.... 2 Actually

jbstack28
Explorer
Explorer
1. Question one. My rig is still in storage have not set off on Maiden voyage. My slide in Kitchen leaves a trail from a roller I suppose when I move slide in or out. The rig is only on the front jacks. Eye balling it, it seems level. Must the rig be 100% in order to run slides?

2. I have the newer six point leveling system. It has round feet beneath each of those points. Is it necessary to put wooden boards or something beneath those points when extended? Or do the feet safice ?

Thanks

Charlie Stackpole
jbstack28
2015 Montana 3791RD
8 REPLIES 8

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
I have the 6-way leveling too. I use plastic jack pads if in dirt, gravel or asphalt. Asphalt can get real hot and soften.

The legs will only go out so far. So if you set up and you are too far off level, the system will get as close as it can, but you may still not be level. So I carry a couple sets of jack pads. If setting up on a slant, I put a couple under the legs that will extend the furthest just to make sure they will be able to level the rig.

X2! It all depends on where you camp, dirt, ashphalt, or uneven campsite will dictate weather to use some sort of extra support! I use pressure treated 2 x 10's and I have enough to handle any situation. Good luck.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Our slide always left a black streak too and then while doing some other work to it i found out why. It wasn't a roller like I thought, it was the bottom edge of the slide rubbing against a black rubber seal and then depositing that black onto the carpet. I trimmed the seal a bit so it wound't rub on it anymore and solved the problem.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 6-way leveling too. I use plastic jack pads if in dirt, gravel or asphalt. Asphalt can get real hot and soften.

The legs will only go out so far. So if you set up and you are too far off level, the system will get as close as it can, but you may still not be level. So I carry a couple sets of jack pads. If setting up on a slant, I put a couple under the legs that will extend the furthest just to make sure they will be able to level the rig.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
The slide rollers should not leave any real noticeable marks on your floor. You should take it back to your dealer for adjustment under your warranty.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
1- no need to level unless the owners manual indicates it needs to be level

2- The round pads will be ok under most conditions (hard pack, cement and asphalt). I use two 2X6 boards under each pad just in case.

Asphalt gets soft in heat.... Hard pack turns to mud with rain.

RWjSIM2003
Explorer
Explorer
you should be fine putting in and out the slides without all the leveler legs down. The roller marks may require that you get sliders that protect the floor. Not sure if you are referring to the carpet or tile areas?

Wood under the Jack feet is a preference and depends on the location in some cases you may need the wood in order for the feet to hit the ground for support.

Safe travels

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Not stupid ...

1) Try to be as level as possible so the loads and stresses of the slide moving are where they are supposed to be.

2) I only use "boards" on soft or really rough ground.
2a) I DO put smooth landing pads under the front two (that are on an slight angle) to facilitate the slight slippage as they extend.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

Leonandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
1. Just have it close to level to open slides, but doesn't need to be perfect, level enough so that it doesn't bind on anything.

2. It depends on the surface you are lowering them on, the bigger the footprint or wood board, the more support. If you are lowering them onto a concrete or hard surface the feet will work just fine.

Just my opinions and how I do it.