Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie questions: Tiny toy haulers

Tour1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, all.
I'd like to have a camper trailer that can haul some freight, too, like my full size motorcycle or a load of firewood to cite 2 obvious things. I've looked at some small trailer toy haulers "with living quarters" but they seem too big for my jeep. I have a Liberty that can tow 5,000 pounds when using an equalizer hitch.

Assuming I have to build my own, I see a 5x10 cargo trailer says 1200lb/2990 gvwr. I hope 1200 pounds is the empty weight, leaving 1790 for payload. A bigger one, 7x14, says 2108 lb/ 7000 gvwr. Could I register the trailer at 5000 pounds and get 2892 pounds payload? I'd like to feel safe from bears so thick metal walls are a plus.

Maybe you know of a good small toy hauler or maybe a small regular trailer that could be loaded with a bike, firewood, bricks, whatever, in safe quantities? The posts about larger trailers being maxed out as delivered are not encouraging.
34 REPLIES 34

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Take that 5000 pounds with a grain of salt. 1st, make sure you have a hitch rated at 750lbs tongue and 7500lbs towing. The Draw Tite on eTrailer is rated that way. I am towing around 4500 with my Diesel and I feel that I am near the limits of the Jeep, even though the same vehicle has a 7500lb tow rating in non-North American markets (Thank you lawyers). In fact, full of passengers, Fuel, Water, etc, I am 100lbs over GVW.

Biggest issue I have towing with the Jeep is Wind Resistance. The diesel, even being more powerful than the V6, can struggle in a good head wind at 60mph. There is a huge difference towing a 5000lb boat and a 5000lb box.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
People have done what you are thinking of - I once had a 22' travel trailer that had been modified with a swing out rear door and I carried a Mini-Cooper race car in it. Be aware that the tendency will be to build your "house" stuff at the front of the trailer, and your "toy" section at the back, and that with such a small trailer there will be a very real tendency to over-load the back. For example, a load of fire-wood - a cord of seasoned oak can weigh close to 3 tons. Get much of that behind the axles and nothing much up front, and you'll have an issue...

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

Tour1
Explorer
Explorer
I checked the owner's manual and the Liberty is definitely allowed 5000 pounds with the equalizer hitch and towing package. Mine came without the hitch, but I have the "tow/haul" button so I expect the towing package is there. I got my hitch at U-Haul, it bolted right in but isn't as pretty as one hidden behind the bumper.

My GVWR on the door sticker is 5600 pounds, and the weight on the registration is 4060. I've been to the dumps and had it weighed with /without trash in it, and it is 4000-something pounds, no doubt, so logically the GVWR on the door can only apply to the Jeep's load and tongue weight, or it could never be rated for even a 2000 pound trailer.

On the other note, the Lance trailers are real nice looking and apparently lightweight for their size. Are fiberglass exteriors and RV windows adequate to keep eastern black bears out? I've seen the trees scratched up in the woods I'm planning to stay in.

And, thanks for the answers, I'm not an insomniac, I work nights and this is my time off.

GT_Roach
Explorer
Explorer
The Liberty I looked at had a towing rating of 2,000 so I'm not sure about 5k with an equalizing hitch but it seems to me you are asking a lot of your tow vehicle, never a good idea in my opinion. If a salesman said you can haul that remember he only wants to make the sale. Toy haulers tend to be quite a bit heavier than the same size travel trailer then adding a 600lb motorcycle would be pushing that Jeep's and your safety to the edge IMO.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
You might look at the new Lance ToyHaulers They pride themselves on making sturdy lightweight Trailers and Truck Campers. Just an idea.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!