cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbies to 5th wheeling &need some advice

Curlida
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I did it! We bought a '16 Montana 3711 FL and pk it up next Weds. We are very green on this and will need to pk up some accessories, we were told, like tp and a sewer extension pipe and we're not sure what else. We heard there are check lists available online that we can print for all sorts of things like what you should have, what you should check, etc. Can anyone point me to these? Also, we need to join a club (Good SAMs??). Is this the best club to join? This community has been very helpful with our other requests and I thank you very much for that. Thanks for any insight you can provide a couple of old farts and their dogs starting a new life adventure!
18 REPLIES 18

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
For the dogs, carry a first aid kid for the canines.

- A can of non-spiced pumpkin is good for upset doggy tummies.
- Pepto-Bismol is also a good thing to have with you.
- PooPickup bags are essential.
- Extra leashes and even an extra collar - one of our dogs snapped the buckle on his collar and an extra collar would have been handy.
- Have your preferred stuff for cleaning and healing a cut. Dogs tend to get into things in new places.
- Doggy towels for drying off after a dip in a lake and before getting in the RV.
- We use those plastic wrapped cables to tie our dogs out at a campground. They can't be chewed through (one of our dogs could do a webbed leash in 30 seconds) and can't be broken if the dog charges at wildlife.
- For a water dish, I use a bucket with a lid. Then can seal it when we hit the road.

We also modified the screen door on our fifth wheel by putting a sheet of white PVC on the inside lower portion. Dog claws can tear the screen, and they can also see through the screen and get enticed by what is out there, and may charge through the door. With the lower door covered, they don't see it or think about it.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
tomthyme wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Be sure it has GoodYear "G" rated tires on it. If not play let's make a deal with the Dealer.

x2 on the tire conversation...(regardless of your brand preference). Be sure you have tires and wheels rated for your load. It has been an expensive lesson for many as it was for us. You will find lots of threads on this and other boards about tires that will provide insight.

We are only into RV'ing a few years and we have wwaayy more stuff than we need. We are in the process of purging already to lighten things up. We find it incredibly easy to buy stuff that is cool, fun or cute and never use it.

Congrats on the new rig!

Tom

X3, our "E" rated Marathons on our '11 Montana let us down on one of our trips a couple of years ago. What Cumins said might sound a little "corny" but he's got a real good point, try and upgrade right away with the dealer, you'll thank yourself later.

As far as all the "stuff" you're going to need. Take a short, close camping trip and a note pad, as you run into "needs" write them down and get them at discount stores INSTEAD of your dealer.

Dan

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Be sure it has GoodYear "G" rated tires on it. If not play let's make a deal with the Dealer.

x2 on the tire conversation...(regardless of your brand preference). Be sure you have tires and wheels rated for your load. It has been an expensive lesson for many as it was for us. You will find lots of threads on this and other boards about tires that will provide insight.

We are only into RV'ing a few years and we have wwaayy more stuff than we need. We are in the process of purging already to lighten things up. We find it incredibly easy to buy stuff that is cool, fun or cute and never use it.

Congrats on the new rig!

Tom
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)

kroghville
Explorer
Explorer
I strongly recommend you join the Montana Owners Club. There you will find a wealth of information about things that pertain to your unit as well as rving in general from the friendliest folks around. May your rving always be wonderful!!!

Bemota
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, We just got a FW also, reading all the helpful info and was wandering, what do you use for a jack? or use the truck jack? Thanks Dan
2017 Dodge Ram Big Horn 3500 HD Cummins
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2
Navy CPO Retired, Jan (DW), and Ziggy (Cat)

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Curlida wrote:
My husband and I did it! We bought a '16 Montana 3711 FL and pk it up next Weds. ............. Thanks for any insight you can provide a couple of old farts and their dogs starting a new life adventure!
Most important "accessory" would be a capable truck!
With a 16,500# GVWR and a dry weight almost 13,000#, make sure you have a stout enough truck to handle that 40 footer!!
Hint - you are probably into dually territory!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

ttempleton
Explorer
Explorer
Truck
Templeton
2003 DP Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PST

Curlida
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you ALL for your input. It's nice to have a resource of knowledgable people that are willing to share. I hope we get the chance to meet some of you.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!!!! If you're going to use RV parks, I'd add a 50 to 30 amp adapter to your list. ๐Ÿ™‚ Otherwise, for things "in the home".....think of what you have in your stick home...now reduce that by 75% ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the stuff listed above plus deodorizer for black water tank, OFF or other bug spray, a tool set since things do break while camping at times, WD40 or other lube for fifth wheel hitch, always have duck tape for emergency repairs, ice cube trays unless you have an ice maker, a flashlight since you may need to check on things at night, all your normal bedding, all your normal kitchen stuff, we tend to use paper plates to minimize dishwashing, highly recommend a surge protector at some point sooner than later, a voltmeter that you plug into socket and shows voltage.

Probably forgot some other stuff but others will add. The most important thing is to enjoy. Good luck. Keith

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with not stuffing yourself with stuff. Two small items that you need are a water pressure regulator and 90 degree ell for the (white) water hose and also a length of video cable to hook to a campground's TV/video feed.

Congrats and Happy camping !!!!
magic43

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer should be more than happy to sell you what you need (and some things you don't). Do a lot of reading on the forum and you will pick it up pretty quick.

The one check list you NEED - make a hook-up check list and use it faithfully. List every step of your hook-up process and review the list EVERY time and last thing before you put the tow vehicle in gear.

Our hook-up check list has 32 items. Things like hitch locked; jacks up; elec disconnected; water disconnected; TV antenna down; door locked; etc. It is the most obvious things that you tend to forget.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rv checklist is the app tour looking for.
As for stuff you need? Paper and pencil are number one.
Lawn chairs, BBQ, potable(whire)water hose,sewer hose, sewer hose connectors. Thats the basics. From there on it is up to you.
As for toilet paper? We have been using Costcos Kirkland brand and pleased with it. Basically any brand that is septic approved is fine.
Dishes? Lots of us use Corel. We bought a food set of pots and pans for the trailer. Others srock up from salvation army stores. Dont skimp on the kitchen. You will just have to buy it twice if you do.