cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newer Mountaineer Owners

Napria
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a 2012 or newer Montana Mountaineer would you post your thoughts, please? Are you happy with your unit? Any problems? Also please let me know if you have camped in it in the colder weather.

Thanks!
2014 Montana 3850FL
2005 Ameri-Camp F321QBS (Sold)
2004 Chevy 3500 crew cab long bed one ton with Alison
18K Reese Signature
Prodigy
9 REPLIES 9

rconkin
Explorer
Explorer
I got home from work Thursday a little after 7pm and the power was out. The interior was at 21 degrees when I ran the slides out and turned the furnace on. By 11 when we went to bed it was 66 degrees in the camper with just the furnace. I hooked my truck up to the camper battery using jumper cables and let it run for about an hour before going to bed to charge the battery. The overnight low was 17 degrees and I was impressed that the furnace kept up with no electric heaters. The low the night before was -3 degrees so I'm glad it wasn't Wednesday night.
2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
2007 Hummer H3 toad

"For those that fought for it, Freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know!" Semper Fi

Napria
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I'm really leaning toward getting the new toyhauler Mountaineer is coming out with this year. I'm assuming it will be the 367THT. Since it sounds like the quality is good and the cold weather camping is ok, now all I need to do is save up for a bigger down payment and wait for it to come out (I'm hearing the target is this summer)

I like the residential higher-end look of the Mountaineer and I'm excited to hear that they're planning to keep a toyhauler in their lineup.
2014 Montana 3850FL
2005 Ameri-Camp F321QBS (Sold)
2004 Chevy 3500 crew cab long bed one ton with Alison
18K Reese Signature
Prodigy

chips47
Explorer
Explorer
we have a 2011 347THT and no major issues. Not a real cold weather unit but with ceramic heaters you can save on propane.We really enjoy the 5fiver, Chevy 2500 long bed tows it just fine.Replaced China bomb tires with carlisle 10 ply, so far so good.Splende washer - dryer combo up front, Ultra classic in back.5th Airborne installed b4 we took it home, works real good to limit chucking between truck & trailer, less stress on overall unit.Saving up for spring break, this winter too cold.

denoel
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 and we've been full time since 2010. On ours there is no heat vent to the "toy-hauler" room but there is air. Ours doesn't have the bunks, instead it has an office desk setup which we really like. When parked for a month or more, we set up portable shelf's in there for our can goods and such(the Harley is outside). We also use it for a "mud room" most of the time. Coming in the back door with the door closed between the toyhauler room and the main trailer sure keeps a lot of cold air out and we can remove our shoes and coats out there. We've been in the high teens many times. The furnace works good, but draws down the battery. When dry camping we supplement heat with a mister heater with an outside 20# tank(the furnace will put a hurt'n on your battery bank). If in a camp ground, we supplement with two small ceramic heaters cause the electric is "free" and the propane isn't.
Fulltiming since 2010
2010 Montana Mountaineer 347TH
2007 GMC 3500HD Dually
2001 Harley FLSTS - (Heritage Classic)
LA Chock ( http://www.baxleycompanies.com/LAChock.html)
Honda 3000

rconkin
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 and are very pleased with it so far. I changed the door swing to the bunkroom so we could access it when the sleeper sofa was out and I've made some other mods and repaired some minor quality issues myself. We have camped into the low 20's upper teens and it did fine with the furnace and we also had two space heaters. The only thing I hate is that for 2014 they have our floorplan with the addition of a 5th slide in the bunk room I would love to have. DW said no already.
2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
2007 Hummer H3 toad

"For those that fought for it, Freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know!" Semper Fi

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2011 Mountaineer. Yes we are happy with it. There are things that I wish Keystone did different, but it works out all right. The only real trouble we have had was a bad hydraulic ram for the bedroom slideout. Dealer replace under warranty, other issue was a crack in the table, again replaced under warranty. As for cold weather we have used it into the low 20's. Use electric heaters and a 100-watt light in the storage bay. Once the trailer has been kept warm we don't need to use the propane furnace to keep the plumbing from freezing. I don't think that I want to go much below 20 though.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010. I've pulled it at least 25,000 miles, over the eastern mountains many times and to CA once. I've had few problems with it, all of them minor.

Cold weather: if I was full-timing I'd get something better. For limited use, down into the 20's, it's fine. I've used the furnace very little; I have two portable electric heaters. Also it has a built-in belly heater, which I've used.

allimax
Explorer
Explorer
You may have better luck with responses on the Montana Owners Club forum. Lots of knowledgeable people there.
2010 Montana 3455SA
Mor/Ride kingpin, wet bolts, Progressive Ind. HW-50C EMS,TST 507RV TPMS, GY G614's
'07.5 Silverado D/A LMM 3500HD
Extended Cab DRW 4x4 LTZ
Bilstein, Reese R20, Banks Economind tuner, Speedbrake, RamAir, Monster exhaust

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
well I don't have a 2012 or newer mountaineer but mine is a 2009 and I bought it used from some people who wanted to get into harleys. but he used it 3 times for elk hunting here in eastern Oregon and it gets pretty darn cold in the mountains that time of the year. He said he slept like a baby in a rug. the furnace works pretty good as far as I can tell.