cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy Dometic Refrigerator Fans

flrp
Explorer
Explorer
Prior to our current 5TH wheel RV we had a Dometic refrigerator in that unit and it exceeded our expectations. Everything in the refrigerator was cool or cold and the temperature remained in the 33-34 degrees range on the hottest of days. NO FAN NOISE

Last November we purchased a new 5TH wheel RV and this unit also has a Dometic refrigerator model DM2862lbFX and it does maintain the temperature in the 33 to 34 degree ranges also. But on hot days evidently there are two fans in the unit that are activated when the temperature reaches a certain level. These fans continue to run well into the night and we can even hear them in our bedroom. Needless to say they are really noisy when one is setting in the living room area. So I took the RV to the dealer told him about the fans being extremely noisy and the RV dealer replaced the fans. Well the new fans are still very noisy with a medium to upper pitch sound. Again easily heard in our bedroom during the night until they shut down.

Is there a solution to the noisy fan problem? I can not understand how Dometic would let a product like this be marketed to the RV industry. Has anyone else experience the noisy Dometic Fans in their unit.
flrp :h

2015 34 foot 5th Wheel Cedar Creek Silverback
2011 2500 Chevy Diesel
10 REPLIES 10

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our fan was okay for a year or so but started making a high pitched noise. I searched online and found some waterproof computer-type fans and replaced the one that was there with two waterproof fans. Now there is no noise and the fridge works like a champ.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

randygk
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, but what about the blue light? On a serious note I did complain to Dometic and they are sending me a white replacement interior light. I have to figure out whether I want the dealer to try and fix the fan noise or (likely) deal with it myself.

Budman1962
Explorer
Explorer
Did the computer fan mod on a dometic fridge today. Two 120mm computer fans from best buy. $10.00 each. Works great and very quiet.
2000 F250 V10
2006 Aljo 25ft.
1998 Yamaha GP1200
2000 Polaris Genesis
1994 Kawasaki St750
2006 Polaris X2
1986 Honda Magna

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
The fan can be replaced with a computer fan - I added a second fan and the original one runs less.

Ours has a high pitch tone too.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
armyvet wrote:
Dealer replaced our noisy refer fan
Under warranty. New fan can barely
Be heard. Don't have to turn tv up
When fan kicks on any more.

Sure wish I would have had our fans replaced... Was told by the dealer that noise was normal for a refer mounted in the slide.
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

armyvet
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer replaced our noisy refer fan
Under warranty. New fan can barely
Be heard. Don't have to turn tv up
When fan kicks on any more.

MIKECBROWN
Explorer
Explorer
My Dometic (not in a slide) has a fan located out of reach, high in the cooling tubes, that runs for a minute every couple minutes. The fan blows directly on the thermostatic switch, causing short runs. It sounds like it is solidly mounted to the cooling tubes, which make a great resonator - drives me nuts! Some day I will pull the fridge, rubber mount the fan, and move the thermostatic switch out of the airflow. Meanwhile I installed 2, near silent, 12v computer fans hanging on shock cord, pointed up the stack. It helps. Check CFM and DB ratings - all fans are not created equal.

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a noisy temp activated fan but doesn't really bother me. I did some research and found that some have replaced the cheap OEM.fans with simple computer fans. Apparently, the use the same voltage and are silent. They are also quote inexpensive. I also read that they are located in a very difficult spot to remove and replace.
I'm thinking of changing mine someday soon.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Fishhawker
Explorer
Explorer
We also had the noisy fan issue with our Cougar
Any camper models with the frig in the slideout
will have no venting to the roof
So the frig unit is cooled by these fans
and are activated on a hot day by a thermostat

For us, having the frig in a slideout was new so we went from
no frig noisy at all to the hi pitched fan running

My dealer told me that this noisy was normal for Dometic

I didnt believe it so I contacted Dometic
They responded with telling me the fan should not be noisy
Told me the correct order # to give to my dealer and have him replace the noisy fan

The dealer ordered the new fan, replaced the old fan
and all is good now

Hope this helps you

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering...are you sure they are refrig fans and not the converter cooling fan that you are hearing?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro