cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal Lifespan of A/C Units?

riflegunbuilder
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 OpenRange 367 no warranty problems at all first year. In May of this year main A/C unit died. 15.6k Dometic with heat pump. Around the 4th of July the bedroom A/C 13k Dometic started acting up off and on. Got camper back yesterday with new bedroom A/C.

Open Range bent over backwards getting these replaced. Just wondering is this normal lifespan of A/C units, just a fluke,or what is the normal lifespan?
18 REPLIES 18

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Mine's still running fine - from 91. Like most things stuff happens - when your talking air conditioners lots of small/inexpensive stuff can impact whether they work right (thermostat, fan motor, capacitor etc) and "die" usually means something expensive like compressor or freon leak. What happened to yours?

Running AC on low current is one method that results in premature death - always good to keep an eye on voltage when running your air conditioner.
Kevin

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
The AC on my fiver has been working for 14 years now. I keep my fingers crossed as it really gets a workout in the summer.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Quite odd I'd say.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
No....

We've received over 10 years on each of our A/C units that ended up needing to be replaced. We had one last 16 years and was still working when we sold the TT.

Maybe due to an electrical issue. Power spike or low power at campground(s) That's why many RV'ers use power conditioners.