cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 5500 dedicated starter battery setup ...

twvette
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short my electric fridge, heater, etc. still drains my bank of 6V overnight to point not enough juice to turn generator over in mornings and not much I can really do about this (out of battery room) so no real need to discuss this aspect.

Battery bank is not low enough that the fridge turns off or inverter cries, etc. so just need something to get me going in the morning before solar system takes over. Have been using an external generator for this currently but want another solution. I have my new lonely 12V battery that came with my new Fuzion so thinking of utilizing it as a dedicated starter battery and have room for this one battery. I assume just track down the generator wires currently connected to batteries and move to this battery.

But how to charge this starter battery? My solar charge controller actually has a two battery mode but not sure how often it would get a charge in reality since most will go to the primary battery bank. I am not using my auxilary solar connection so that might be an option but dont really care to install or setup a solar panel for this so would be a minor hassle. Maybe just easiest to use a battery tender or similar plugged into AC as I still will be running the generator each day several hours. Are there more dedicated/permanent install based yet simple chargers for this? Or, maybe there is a simple DC to DC charger to just connect to my main bank to isolate the starter battery yet charge it? Maybe I am overthinking all this LOL ... any recommendations appreciated.
- '16 Fuzion Chrome 420 (Previous: Weekend Warrior '05 LE3105 and '06 CL40005)
- '15 RAM 3500 SRW 4x4 Aisin Crew (Previous:'05 Dodge 2500)
- '17 Maverick X3 RS (Previous: '08 RZR 800, '13 XP 900, RC51 powered RZR, Hayabusa powered RZR)
23 REPLIES 23

MP_soldier
Explorer
Explorer
Huh, never knew that. Good to know!
I guess OP could jump start geny with truck battery if he wants to avoid lugging abound a spare battery.
2000 Volvo 770
10 speed Eaton autoshift transmission
Cummins N14

2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420amp Toyhauler
Featuring side and rear deck AND onboard Onan Genny

Rambino
Explorer
Explorer
MP soldier wrote:
The generator will charge the dedicated generator battery when it is running, no???

The house batteries will charge from the converter while the geny is running.

twvette wrote:
Long story short my electric fridge, heater, etc. still drains my bank of 6V overnight to point not enough juice to turn generator over in mornings and not much I can really do about this (out of battery room) so no real need to discuss this aspect.

Battery bank is not low enough that the fridge turns off or inverter cries, etc. so just need something to get me going in the morning before solar system takes over. Have been using an external generator for this currently but want another solution. I have my new lonely 12V battery that came with my new Fuzion so thinking of utilizing it as a dedicated starter battery and have room for this one battery. I assume just track down the generator wires currently connected to batteries and move to this battery.

But how to charge this starter battery? My solar charge controller actually has a two battery mode but not sure how often it would get a charge in reality since most will go to the primary battery bank. I am not using my auxilary solar connection so that might be an option but dont really care to install or setup a solar panel for this so would be a minor hassle. Maybe just easiest to use a battery tender or similar plugged into AC as I still will be running the generator each day several hours. Are there more dedicated/permanent install based yet simple chargers for this? Or, maybe there is a simple DC to DC charger to just connect to my main bank to isolate the starter battery yet charge it? Maybe I am overthinking all this LOL ... any recommendations appreciated.

The generator will charge the dedicated generator battery when it is running, no???

Yes. If the dedicated battery is connected to the converter. It will not charge if connected only to generator. This battery starts the generator only.

True.

MOST towable RVs with generators use house batteries to start the generator. When a dedicated starting battery is needed, separate charging circuits are required.
2016 Attitude 28SAG
2012 Ram 3500 CTD
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
2007 Kawasaki KFX 700

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
MP soldier wrote:

twvette wrote:

No...the generator does not have means of charging battery. It only makes 120volts...no alternator.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

MP_soldier
Explorer
Explorer

twvette wrote:

2000 Volvo 770
10 speed Eaton autoshift transmission
Cummins N14

2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420amp Toyhauler
Featuring side and rear deck AND onboard Onan Genny

twvette
Explorer
Explorer
Specularius wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:

Another option would be the Trik-L-Start

This is what I installed to have a dedicated generator battery. Been working for two years now. I definately recommend it.

Thanks for posting this. Somehow I overlooked this in Y-Guy's post. The Trik-L is exactly what I was initially looking for but since I have to redo a bit of wiring anyways as don't already have a dedicated starter battery will likely still go with the NOCO battery tender so can have it for dual purposes to charge the toys also if ever needed.
- '17 Maverick X3 RS (Previous: '08 RZR 800, '13 XP 900, RC51 powered RZR, Hayabusa powered RZR)

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:

Another option would be the Trik-L-Start

This is what I installed to have a dedicated generator battery. Been working for two years now. I definately recommend it.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

BigDogF250
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Blue Sea Systems Automatic Charging Relay on my boat: On Amazon

Keeps the radio battery charged, but won't drain the starting battery. That way I don't have to worry about leaving the radio on at a dock/beach since there are no pull starters for a 5.7l V8. I wanted something that was automatic and didn't require anything from me to work.
Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent.
06 Weekend Warrior FSC3200, Axles flipped, Bridgestone Duravis Tires
2005 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
07 Yamaha YZF450 White/Silver, 94 Husqvarna WXC610
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2011 Honda CBR1000RR & one Goffin Cockatoo

Rambino
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 12v gen starter battery and 2 6v house batteries. they are connected via a battery separator. The starter and house circuits are separate unless one battery system becomes weak then will get power from the other. Gen or shore power will charge each system as needed. the Separator switches charging to battery(s)based on requirements.

We have had no problems with this setup. We also have had no issues with a solar panel charging the batteries.
2016 Attitude 28SAG
2012 Ram 3500 CTD
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
2007 Kawasaki KFX 700

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Those big new refers are nice, cept they run on juice and not propane, taxing even the best battery setup. A stand alone starter battery is easy enough, but I'm surprised the fridge will exhaust a battery bank.

A small tractor battery would work fine with a small charger for it. Still propane seems better to me as a fridge.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

dedmiston
tinner12002 wrote:
I also think I would look at an auto start that would start the gen when voltage drops to low.

One of the problems with an auto-start is that the low voltage is usually in the middle of the night, and who wants their 5500 to fire up at 2:30 in the morning and wake up the whole camp?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
There's a marine battery switch you could use, it has on/off, 1/2/both selections. or an auto relay that isolates the gennie battery from the battery bank, once the generator starts it closes and the two are in parallel.

Look at marine applications, not unusual to do what you want to do. Will take a bit of large wire and some ingenuity but it can be done right.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I also think I would look at an auto start that would start the gen when voltage drops to low.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Bedlam
You could keep a dedicated 12V starting battery charged via the 7-pin to the vehicle and the 6V house batteries isolated to solar charging. If you needed extra power on either circuit, you could add a bridge switch that would temporarily combine all the batteries.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

twvette
Explorer
Explorer
The_real_wild1 wrote:
I would use a battery tender like you mentioned. I bought a NOCO 7 amp tender that works better then the battery tender brand tenders I have also. I think it would be big enough that you could get it to fully charge your battery in a couple hours.

Thanks for tip on NOCO as looked at them a while back for another purpose but had kinda forgot about them. It is more permanent and simple plus as thought about more I can mount it close to exterior so if ever need it to charge one of the toys can just buy the extension cable and temporarily disconnect form my starter battery to charge another battery, so is has two purposes in one and can get rid of my portable charger taking up a little space in the basementc storage.