cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

onan 5500 running AC

lightning_drive
Explorer
Explorer
Picking up my first Toy Hauler on Monday. KZ Montego Bay Sportster M-37CKS3.

For those of you used to dry camping in the southwest in the summer. I am curious if you run your Onan 5500 all night to run AC when heat is in the 100's?
Do you open the cabinet door? Anything special I need to do or Just head to the mountain's for cooler weather?
thanks
41 REPLIES 41

lightning_drive
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
There is more than the cost of gas to worry about if one intends to run their Onan 5500 24/7.

Here's some of the periodic maintenance Onan recommends for the Onan 5500:

Replace oil and oil filter every 150 hours (or every 6.25 days of 24/7 runtime).
Replace air filter every 150 hours (or every 6.25 days of 24/7 runtime).
Replace spark plugs and fuel filter every 450 hours (or every 18.75 days of 24/7 runtime)
Adjust valve lash every 450 hours (or every 18.75 days of 24/7 runtime).

Filter (oil, air, and fuel) and oil changes on the Onan 5500 aren't very difficult.

Anyone replace spark plugs on a 5500? Difficult?

What about adjusting the valves. Do you have to remove the generator to get access to the valves?

Not sure my original post was clear but My intent is not to run the gen set 24/7 endlessly. I was referring to running it all night to sleep. During the day won't be in the hauler so no reason to run genset. More like 8 to 10 hrs per day for 2 days. Race weekends. Longer summer trips are going to be to the mountains to escape the Az heat.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Spark plugs are easy.

Have never done valves.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is more than the cost of gas to worry about if one intends to run their Onan 5500 24/7.

Here's some of the periodic maintenance Onan recommends for the Onan 5500:

Replace oil and oil filter every 150 hours (or every 6.25 days of 24/7 runtime).
Replace air filter every 150 hours (or every 6.25 days of 24/7 runtime).
Replace spark plugs and fuel filter every 450 hours (or every 18.75 days of 24/7 runtime)
Adjust valve lash every 450 hours (or every 18.75 days of 24/7 runtime).

Filter (oil, air, and fuel) and oil changes on the Onan 5500 aren't very difficult.

Anyone replace spark plugs on a 5500? Difficult?

What about adjusting the valves. Do you have to remove the generator to get access to the valves?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
All I do is press the button. No doors,no hatches, no worries.
Ease of operation and ample power is the only reason to own an Onan.
Otherwise there are cheaper options.
If my 5500 lp is going to run overnight, I use my Genturi. Again, no worries
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

otrfun wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Interesting answers about the cabinet door....

I just got my first Onan last year, and while at the races, ALMOST every trailer with one had the door open ??
Lantley wrote:
I run my Onan with the doors closed. The only foolproof way to be safe from CO and exhaust fumes is to use a Genturi.
Otherwise you are taking a gamble. Not only are you gambling with those inside you own RV but you are gambling with those around you if you are parked close like at a race track.
There has been more than one incident of CO poisoning caused by the rig next door.
lightning driver wrote:
Lots of good opinions. I had heard they were designed to run with the door closed but not from a reliable source. Consensus here seems to be Door closed.

Good to hear many have run all night with AC on. Will look into the Genturi kit.
Usually Very disperest camping so not worried about trailers near me but oldest son and I do drag race a ford lightning so it will spend some weekends in the pits.
Just to clarify, what cover is everybody referencing? The all-metal front access cover (green in color) that mounts to the frame of the Onan 5500 generator itself? Or, the wood/fiberboard access cover that's part of the exterior of the trailer that allows access to the generator compartment?

FWIW, the Onan 5500 operator's manual has the following warning: "Operating the genset with the access cover off can lead to overheating of components. Always secure the cover after starting the genset."

I was talking about the trailer outer compartment door... The removable door/access panel on the generator must stay in place..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:

FWIW, the Onan 5500 operator's manual has the following warning: "Operating the genset with the access cover off can lead to overheating of components. Always secure the cover after starting the genset."

The cover that is part of the Onan; metal.

NOT whatever door or cover that is part of the RV.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
I run with everything shut.
Cover that comes with the genny.
Cover that is on my Toyhauler.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
Interesting answers about the cabinet door....

I just got my first Onan last year, and while at the races, ALMOST every trailer with one had the door open ??
Lantley wrote:
I run my Onan with the doors closed. The only foolproof way to be safe from CO and exhaust fumes is to use a Genturi.
Otherwise you are taking a gamble. Not only are you gambling with those inside you own RV but you are gambling with those around you if you are parked close like at a race track.
There has been more than one incident of CO poisoning caused by the rig next door.
lightning driver wrote:
Lots of good opinions. I had heard they were designed to run with the door closed but not from a reliable source. Consensus here seems to be Door closed.

Good to hear many have run all night with AC on. Will look into the Genturi kit.
Usually Very disperest camping so not worried about trailers near me but oldest son and I do drag race a ford lightning so it will spend some weekends in the pits.
Just to clarify, what cover is everybody referencing? The all-metal front access cover (green in color) that mounts to the frame of the Onan 5500 generator itself? Or, the wood/fiberboard access cover that's part of the exterior of the trailer that allows access to the generator compartment?

lightning_drive
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
lightning driver wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Bring lots of gas with you. I only ran mine 24/7 one time over Labor Day weekend at Fontana Speedway. I had the AC running the whole time and it was paradise inside. I went through a lot of gas though.

Onboard 40 gallon tank for the gen set. Of course we also carry 20 gallons of 110 Octane for the lightning.

Bring another full 5 gal jug or two in case you need the gas and so that you can go fetch more.

Was thinking of just bringing it with me. Of course I can always buy 87 octane fuel at the track.

dedmiston
lightning driver wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Bring lots of gas with you. I only ran mine 24/7 one time over Labor Day weekend at Fontana Speedway. I had the AC running the whole time and it was paradise inside. I went through a lot of gas though.

Onboard 40 gallon tank for the gen set. Of course we also carry 20 gallons of 110 Octane for the lightning.

Bring another full 5 gal jug or two in case you need the gas and so that you can go fetch more.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
40 gallon equals 40 hours...... Not quite a full 2 days out there.

I sure wouldn't waste 110 Octane gas in my genny!!!!!!

X2...@ higher outside temps I'm at 1 gal per hour.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
40 gallon equals 40 hours...... Not quite a full 2 days out there.

I sure wouldn't waste 110 Octane gas in my genny!!!!!!

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

lightning_drive
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

Bedlam
The only time I had problems with generator fumes was if the the wind was blowing them toward the RV. I also use the Genturi if I cannot position myself in another direction or the wind shifts directions.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
lincster wrote:
Whoops, dedmiston got me on the gas before I looked at page 2.

That seems to be happening more as I get older. Sorry.

AHAHAHAHAHA. I didn't realize I wrote it that way until now. Funny.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail