cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Open Range vs Jayco Eagle

jamieline
Explorer
Explorer
With out bashing thoughts between the Open Range Roamer and the Jayco Eagle.

Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

maps
Explorer
Explorer
jamieline wrote:
Decided not to go with either one.

Go with something else or are you not going to purchase at this time?
2003 Super Duty 6.0L, 4x4, some things added and some things missing
2005 KZ Sportsman Sportster 33P
2012 KTM 350XCF
2008 KTM 450XCR-W

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2011 Open Range 393RLS. Nothing but TROUBLE from day 1 til the day I traded it. Cannot recommend OR to anyone. Nicely appointed, but TERRIBLE build quality.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Have had an Open Range Roamer since early 2011 with no problems with the cable slides. I like that all the mechanism and motors are inside the trailer on top of the slide.

2112 wrote:
Does Open Range still use the cable slides?
I wasn't 100% comfortable with the cables.

The Open Range fifth wheel models we looked at a month ago ALL had cable driven slides . . They sales guy swears buy them... Funny , that's because that's what he IS selling ! :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for the Open Range, but then I already did.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
jamieline wrote:

We are contemplating the very same issue. The wife likes the Roamer, and it's interior. I like the Eagle and available running gear options. Personally, I would be happy with either.

So please keep the posts coming.

Every one helps.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

jamieline
Explorer
Explorer

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
LCI manufactures frames for OR and Jayco to their design. The majority of LCI frame issues come from manufactures that use a standard LCI frmae and build a unit to the frame specs. Montana was famous for that. As for which one....I toured both factories and from what I saw would buy the Jayco. Also never liked the cable slides....POS when introduced in the 80's and still not as reliable.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
rattleNsmoke wrote:

That's interesting...but I sincerely doubt Lippert would run a separate assembly line for Jayco when all other MAJOR customers would have to their noted sub standard workmanship.

Despite your beliefs Jayco is a major manufacturer of Rv. In their brochures they claim: "Jayco builds on custom-sized frames, designed specifically for each floorplan." But who knows they could be lying.

There are plenty of posts in various message boards documenting weld and frame failures. It's horrifying. I'm not doubting that you may have read or heard something around a campfire, but I'm sure we would all be interested in seeing it documented in an LCI or Jayco brochure

Sure, I have seen the reports of frame failures, but NOT in the last 4-5 model years. Old news.

If you want any further documentation, Goggle is your friend, go for it.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

bmet2000
Explorer
Explorer
We have had both and currently have the Roamer travel trailer. While it does have the cable slides, it has not given us any problems. Our Eagle had an intermittent working motor on the bunk house.
I will say that the Roamer appears to be better insulated as the air barely runs compared to our Eagle.
I wouldn't hesitate to get either one and would probably go with the one that has the preferable floor plan.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Does Open Range still use the cable slides?
I wasn't 100% comfortable with the cables.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
rattleNsmoke wrote:
From what I understand, Jayco used to manufacture their own frames and now they purchase(like most others) from LCI (which have been problem prone, aka crappy build quality and skimpy weld points).

If Jayco is using LCI frames it would be a moot point.

To my knowledge the frame problem has been rectified in other brands and Jayco is requiring a higher spec frame from LCI than others.

As Jayco now owns Open Range, It is my guess they will soon be using the same frames, if they are not doing so by now.

That's interesting...but I sincerely doubt Lippert would run a separate assembly line for Jayco when all other MAJOR customers would have to their noted sub standard workmanship. There are plenty of posts in various message boards documenting weld and frame failures. It's horrifying. I'm not doubting that you may have read or heard something around a campfire, but I'm sure we would all be interested in seeing it documented in an LCI or Jayco brochure.
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
No big issues with our Jayco 321RLTS and if we wanted a different rig would buy Jayco.Two year warranty to boot.

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Open Range but Jayco was our second choice. It really came down to the floorplans. I wanted a larger bathroom than we found in the Jayco's.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide