cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overflow hoses??

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2005 Jayco 305 BHS. When filling up the fresh water tank, instead of the water coming out through the little vent at the filler cap....it begins to drip out of two hoses which stick out from the underbelly. Is this normal? I have always expected the excess water to come out through the vent situated near the fill cap.
11 REPLIES 11

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Alpenlite with one 100 gallon water tank and it has two over flow hoses.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, Dewey, for the education. Going to have to look at my Jayco Designer to see if I've got that setup. I suspect I do as mine also has a 90 gallon capacity. The tip off will be if I see two overflow hoses.

Learn something new every day!
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of Jaycos and Starcrafts have two FW tanks. Mine has 90 gallon total capacity.
Yes, they are tied together, but it is a fairly complicated set up. There is one fill port. There is an equalizer tube that allows water to flow and equalize levels between the two tanks. The draw from the tank into the RV actually pulls equally from both tanks at the same time. There are two overflow hoses, which for some reason siphon water out. After filling the tanks and traveling to a campground, I would lose 1/3 of the water through the overflow tubes. I put valves on the tubes and solved the problem.

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
AZ... Interesting piece of information you offered up. Never heard of a rig having two fresh water tanks. Are they tied together, or each dedicated to a single purpose (e.g. one for the bathroom and one for the kitchen)? Just curious...
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
AZ T&T wrote:
That is normal for Jayco. My water was syphoning out when I traveled so I tied them together with a T and extended the hose over to the side with a spigot. Now I just have to have the spigot open while filling and closed the rest of the time.

Thats a good idea. I think I am going to do this as well. Back to OP....that is normal but I am not getting where you have 2 vent hoses. Mine only has one, and as stated before. When the water starts running on the ground you know the tank is full. I dont even know where my fresh water tank is. I just know that it runs out the bottom of the trailer when it is full.

My Jayco has 2 fresh water tanks, they each have a overflow hose.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
AZ T&T wrote:
That is normal for Jayco. My water was syphoning out when I traveled so I tied them together with a T and extended the hose over to the side with a spigot. Now I just have to have the spigot open while filling and closed the rest of the time.

Thats a good idea. I think I am going to do this as well. Back to OP....that is normal but I am not getting where you have 2 vent hoses. Mine only has one, and as stated before. When the water starts running on the ground you know the tank is full. I dont even know where my fresh water tank is. I just know that it runs out the bottom of the trailer when it is full.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
On our Open Range Roamer the only way to tell if the fresh water tank is full is to see water coming out the overflow. Do not see why water coming out the overflow would be a problem Just doing what it is supposed to do.

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
double check the hoses you are concerned with .... if they have caps on the ends or valves inside they are low point drains .... if not, they are overflow hoses from the fresh water tank .... as noted in the original post, in the past overflow came out of a vent hose that was usually located beside the fill cap .... that has changed but I'm not sure exactly when the change took place

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure that the hose that's stick in the hole has enough clearance so water can come out the fill hole as well. Just relying on the vent for excess water to come out of could cause problems. What if the vent tube gets clogged.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
It should come out the vent near the fill cap when the tank is full. The lines that hang down are drain lines. It sounds like they are leaking a bit. I had to put the caps on mine when they started to drip, just because I hated seeing the drip. It does no real harm other than the drip.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"