cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overnight Stops

Deb_and_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
Retirement - finally! We have only taken local camping trips so far. We are going on a trip from Michigan to Wyoming and plan to do overnights at campgrounds along the way. Is it okay to stay hitched to the truck and put slides out if we are fairly level? Would we put the front/back jacks front down to the point of touching or a little more to take pressure off the truck?

The trip after that, we want to try overnight boon-docking a couple times. When boon-docking, we can use propane to operate the refrigerator, correct? Our concern is not being hooked up to power, putting out slides and not having power to put them back in the next morning. Do you leave electric from the 5th to the truck hooked up or would that drain the truck battery?

We noticed that Indiana rest areas say no overnights. Is that common?

Sorry for our ignorance - any help would be greatly appreciated.
35 REPLIES 35

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
We travel from Canada to Southern California every winter. We stay hooked up for the whole trip. I put jacks down just to stabilize the trailer, not to take weight off the truck.

If you are worried about draining the truck batteries, just unhook the electrical connection to the truck. If your trailer battery is low in the morning, just start your truck and hook the electrical back up, the truck alternator and batteries will then provide enough power to retract your slides and jacks.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We will usually try to stay hooked up for an overnight, just put the stabilizers down to keep the shaking to a minimum, plug in the power and that's usually it. If we want to shower, we will hook up the water, otherwise, we usually carry a gallon or two of water to flush with (we don't normally carry water).
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
When we has a TT the issue I frequently faced was the lack of a pull-thru space long enough to stay hitched up. Changed to a motorhome partly because after a day of driving I just hated to unhook (and rehook in the morning).

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I stay connected to the truck but use the legs to level it. I do not use the stabilizers in the rear if we are just stopping overnight. I would keep an eye on the battery level and when it go low, I would hook back up to the truck and run it. I have a Ford so I guess there is only power when the key is on. I have never checked, but then again, the truck is only two and a half months old. Good luck and enjoy. Sounds like some good times are ahead.

greende
Explorer
Explorer
It is perfectly fine to stay hooked up for onernight stays. If you traveled through the night or parked it for the night, it would be hooked up. Absolutely no problems. As above, it should be level.

Yes, you can use propane for fridge and for water heater and 12V for water pump. If staying more that a day or so, you run the risk of draining your RV battery. I usually do not stay hooked up to my TV because I do not want a dead truck battery. GM is live all the time. Ford only when key is on. I would think about another 12V battery or at least two 6V batteries to give you more amps. You could also get a small inverter generator if you will boondock in a place where they're allowed. Hope this helps.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need to get the weight off the truck.
You need to be as level as possible for the fridge and for your comfort.
If the campsite is fairly level just put the jacks down to stabilize the RV.