cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picky Choosing

mtnguy
Explorer
Explorer
The missus and I are looking for a 5th wheel. We plan to hit the road a couple of months in the spring and again in the fall every year. So far, I haven’t been able to find exactly what we want, so I thought I would put it out to the forum. We would prefer a unit that has:

A regular length queen bed on a slide, with windows and a night stand on each side.

A wardrobe all of the way across the front cap.

2 recliners facing the entertainment center…..not a unit where you gotta crook your head to see the TV.

A fully usable unit with the slides closed (TV viewing would not be necessary). We want to be able to get to the bathroom, access the fridge, and eat at the dinette with the slides in. 1 slide in the living area would be good, and we would prefer that the fridge or stove not be on a slide.

We would like to keep our length down to about 32’ overall.

Don't want much, do we ?? 🙂

Thanks in advance.
18 REPLIES 18

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
At just under 36'LOA the only problem with state parks has been finding class Bs or class Cs in the few over 30' sites..

Many reasons the big sites may be full. Perhaps they were the only available sites the day those smaller B and C RVers arrived.
Or they got there early and liked the view or location.
Or they preferred the site because it was much more level.
Or the site was closer to a restroom for a person with a disability.

It's unrealistic to expect a big, beautiful site to be left awaiting some big rig's eventual arrival and ridiculous to get peeved at finding smaller rigs in "your" sites. Just plan ahead - arrive earlier in the day or stick with site-specific reservable campgrounds, public or private.

Big trailers give you plenty of living room inside, smaller motor homes have less living space, often get better fuel mileage and fit in more sites. It's the trade-offs you consider when you buy.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought with state parks & NFS parks in mind. We also started with the 32' limit. We also intended to make our first trailer our last trailer. We have done that though the 32 went to a 34, by model number.

Almost 8 years, more than 130,000 miles, over 1000 nights, hundreds of different CGs later, we are still very happy with our Alpenlite 34RLR. It happens to meet all of the criteria of the OP, except for the usability of the table with slide in. Even that could work with the slide only partially out.

At just under 36'LOA the only problem with state parks has been finding class Bs or class Cs in the few over 30' sites. Anywhere that max length has been listed at 30' we have gotten in, usually by having the back of the trailer hang out past the pad.

Getting into tight sites with large trailers is about good spotter guidence & yes, some driver skill.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
We are also looking for a new unit, and our "wish list" is similar to yours.

We want to stay in the 31-34 foot range, preferably 32' overall. The Keystone Laredo we have now is 32', and we are trying to avoid "length creep". We camp a lot in COE parks, state parks and National Forest Service parks. Many of these parks are older, and have shorter sites. We already find many (10-20%) campsites too short for a camper longer than 32' to comfortably fit in and leave room for the truck. Unfortunately, most manufacturers have gone longer to offer popular floor plans. That makes for a limited selection in a quality unit.

We also would like to stay with two slides if we can find the right floor plan. When you add a third slide on the passenger side, it takes away from camping space under the awning, and I LOVE a long awning. We spend more time outside than we do inside. This is something we may have to give in on, though.

We don't mind paying for better quality, but again, many of the manufacturers of these units have gone to longer floor plans to compete with the "WOW" factor.

Some of the units we have been looking at are:

Arctic Fox 29-5T: With a queen size bed I think you can get a nite stand beside it - not sure. It does have windows on either side of the head of the bed. With the slide in you can get to the fridge, the dining table and the kitchen are usable. Nice long awning. Plenty of closet space across the front. We love a large rear window like this one has. The downsides are there are only two smaller windows on the passenger (camp) side, and the view of the TV is obstructed for one of the easy chairs by someone working in the kitchen. Limited counter space. The overall length is 33'11". I can't find one in the Southeast to look at, but this looks like an interesting unit.

Keystone Montana High Country 293RK - I like the bathroom layout better on this one - everything in one room allows for better "shared space" for each component (shower, toilet, sink). Again, everything is usable with the slide in, but I'm not wild about a rear kitchen. Huge closet space if you don't use it for a washer/dryer (we wouldn't). No nite stand beside the queen size bed. The overall length = 32' 11". Questionable quality.

KZ Durango D296RL - I like the quality for the price and want it to work, but haven't seen one. Cant find one any where around the Southeast. Has a window above the queen size bed and has a nite stand beside it. Lots of closet space both on the front of the unit and in the bedroom slide out. Good bathroom layout. Looking at the floor plan, it appears the TV is not viewable from the dining table, however, the TV enclosure (frame) is on a hinge and it can be turned for viewing. The unit has excellent space utilization (based on a similar KZ model). Downsides - the bathroom door is covered when the bedroom slide out is in!! Dang it!! However, after thinking about it, the world would not come to an end if I have to open the BR slide a little to get into the bathroom at the dump station, and I can't remember but a few times we had to open it while stopped on the road - maybe only a few Walmart nites. Everything else is accessible when the large slide is in. The awning does not cover the outside storage access - why did they do this? There may be a way to install a longer awning (?). The overall length is 33'10". There are several KZs in the Durango 1500 series (so called half ton towable), but they don't have as much basement storage space, and there are other compromises. I called KZ to try to locate a D296RL. They were very helpful and searched all their dealers. The closest one they found was 800 miles from me, but did check on dealer orders and found one coming in fairly close to here in a few weeks.

In general, we have not entertained any "half-ton" towable units, although there are several good floor plans. It seems like the weight savings is at the expense of construction and heavier duty components (axles, frames, etc.).

Like you said , there are several floor plans out there that require angled viewing of the entertainment center from the primary seating. We are also not interested in those.

As I said, we presently have a Keystone Laredo 29RL. We love the living area floor plan and the overall length which is listed as 31' 10", although it actually measures 32' 4", except we would like more closet space and an "East-West" bed to allow for a flat floor and a nite stand for a CPAP machine. The difference is a couple of feet - funny how that works out! We have had to modify our desire for a shorter unit to accommodate the floor plan we want and add still length for the closet. Now if we could just change the law of physics, we would be in good shape.

We are also considering a trip to the Hershey show. Keep us posted on what you find. I'll be following this thread.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
mtnguy wrote:
When we stop for lunch at a rest stop, we like to eat at the dinette table. Extending a slide would be optional, but the tractor trailer pulling in next door could remove the slide for us.
It's more likely they'd urinate on it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
My .02: Our bed is in a slide with windows on each side. We put foil on the windows because they let in too much light. 😉
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

swift1972
Explorer
Explorer
i really do love out jayco ht we have the same layout as the other poster has the rls- we love it 🙂 i think the 2014 and 2015 have a double slide out now
too 🙂 cant wait to see what you get!!

mtnguy
Explorer
Explorer
swift1972 wrote:
Not sure if my post was posted- but check out the grand design reflection models! They are gorgeous inside and seem to match what you are looking for. We went to general rv the other day during an open house and fell in love!!! Someday.... But I do love our fiver- we have a Jayco eagle ht26.5 but when the slide is closed you really have to squeeze to get to the bathroom.

We have friends with a Grand Design. Great trailer, with the manufacturer really taking care of our friends when problems arise.

jalichty wrote:
I know some, if not all, of you will poo-poo this, but our Jayco Eagle SuperLite HT 26.5 RLS has most of what the gentleman is looking for. The chairs in the rear of the FW face the television without having to crane our necks, the bathroom, stove, sink and bedroom are available with the slide in, Unfortunately, there is not enough room in the bedroom for a full-size wardrobe in the front, but the wardrobe slide has four doors and a lot of room in it. As well, there are two wardrobes, one on each side of the queen bed. I do believe, however, he is looking for a little higher end FW than our HT. Our HT is slightly less than 30' long also.

High end is not needed for this good ol’ boy.....just a comfortable, usable trailer that is small enough that my wife and I will be comfortable towing.

The Jayco 26.5 RLS has a great layout, and is on our list of possibilities. The missus wants windows on both sides of the bed, and with the extra wardrobe on 1 side there is no cross through ventilation.

We looked at a Jayco 28.5 RLS which has about the same layout as the 26.5 RLS,, and for the time being that is our top pick. But losing the wardrobe to the window is a big trade-off. 😞

Veebyes wrote:
Lots of wants there. The biggest one is "fully usable with slides in". How many of them are actual needs? Why does the dinette need to be usable with slides in? Understand the TV thing. So many have TVs at awkward angles.

When we stop for lunch at a rest stop, we like to eat at the dinette table. Extending a slide would be optional, but the tractor trailer pulling in next door could remove the slide for us. :E

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like our trailer. 2004 NuWa Hitchhiker 33LKTG. Has everything you are looking for.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
No longer in production...look at the HitchHikers by NuWa. Kansas RV Center in Chanute , KS has a lot of refrurbished HH trailers. Problem is the HH trailer are not light weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
No longer in production...look at the HitchHikers by NuWa. Kansas RV Center in Chanute , KS has a lot of refrurbished HH trailers. Problem is the HH trailer are not light weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of wants there. The biggest one is "fully usable with slides in". How many of them are actual needs? Why does the dinette need to be usable with slides in? Understand the TV thing. So many have TVs at awkward angles.

Hope you don't want all this in a 30' package. Ain't gonna happen.

Doing a few big shows is a good idea if you plan to buy new. Nothing wrong with buying lightly used & almost new too. Search the used listings online. More floorplans there than any show.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
I know some, if not all, of you will poo-poo this, but our Jayco Eagle SuperLite HT 26.5 RLS has most of what the gentleman is looking for. The chairs in the rear of the FW face the television without having to crane our necks, the bathroom, stove, sink and bedroom are available with the slide in, Unfortunately, there is not enough room in the bedroom for a full-size wardrobe in the front, but the wardrobe slide has four doors and a lot of room in it. As well, there are two wardrobes, one on each side of the queen bed. I do believe, however, he is looking for a little higher end FW than our HT. Our HT is slightly less than 30' long also.
John A. Lichty

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Reflection, but you can't sit at the table or get to some of the kitchen with the slides in. You can get to fridge.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

swift1972
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if my post was posted- but check out the grand design reflection models! They are gorgeous inside and seem to match what you are looking for. We went to general rv the other day during an open house and fell in love!!! Someday.... But I do love our fiver- we have a Jayco eagle ht26.5 but when the slide is closed you really have to squeeze to get to the bathroom.