cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Planning Yellowstone Trip

Lewii
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a Yellowstone trip in late August 2017. We've never been and would like advice on whether to try for reservations at Fishing Bridge Campground or one of the private campgrounds outside the park.
Pulling a 30 foot Keystone Laredo with a long bed quad cab RAM 2500.
Thanks in advance for advice.
2012 Keystone Laredo
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L Hemi
26 REPLIES 26

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
Yes a lot of people see the posted speed limit of 45 and expect to drive that thru the park..Really.. why bother to go if you wanna race thru the park...

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
tropical_ron wrote:
We stayed at Yellowstone Grizzly Bear Rv Park. Great access to the parks west entrance

Stayed here as well late August Into Septemebr 2016.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Lewii
Explorer
Explorer
Roger10378 wrote:
Your idea that Yellowstone will be less busy after labor day is a dream. We were there in mid Sept. this year and it was very busy. If people would just obey the rules and not block the road when they stop to see the wildlife it would be much better. It is not uncommon to get a 20 minute back up because of a small group of some animal. You have your reservations already so enjoy the park.

Yeah, that was meant as a tongue in cheek kind of comment. The date is more a function of when we can go than it is any expectation of smaller crowds. Doesn't hurt to be optimistic though!
2012 Keystone Laredo
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L Hemi

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
This a good info write up on the park.

http://www.rvtechmag.com/travel/4_yellowstonebyrv.php?pg=all

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
jalichty wrote:
I noticed a couple of folks complained about the "animal jams" in the Park. While Yellowstone itself is spectacular, the animals are very intriguing as well. If it is so important that a person "scream" through the park and not take the time to look at as many of the features, including animals, why do they even go to Yellowstone? I have never been in a two hour "animal jam" but in plenty of 15-30 minutes one and I wouldn't trade one of them for the ability to get through the Park as fast as possible. Go to the Park and enjoy all that it has to offer, which is a lot.

I remember the animal jam fondly, just not at the time. The buffalo like to travel the roads too, and when the herd takes the road, nobody ushers them off; it theirs for as long as they want it whether their moving or not. I highly recommend the guided bus tours. One of the things the guide delighted in pointing out was the many wounds on the trees beside the road that come from Class A owners knocking off their mirrors. The roads to the different parts of the park are very narrow. Some only 8-10 feet. Have a good time.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed a couple of folks complained about the "animal jams" in the Park. While Yellowstone itself is spectacular, the animals are very intriguing as well. If it is so important that a person "scream" through the park and not take the time to look at as many of the features, including animals, why do they even go to Yellowstone? I have never been in a two hour "animal jam" but in plenty of 15-30 minutes one and I wouldn't trade one of them for the ability to get through the Park as fast as possible. Go to the Park and enjoy all that it has to offer, which is a lot.
John A. Lichty

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your idea that Yellowstone will be less busy after labor day is a dream. We were there in mid Sept. this year and it was very busy. If people would just obey the rules and not block the road when they stop to see the wildlife it would be much better. It is not uncommon to get a 20 minute back up because of a small group of some animal. You have your reservations already so enjoy the park.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody stays at Fishing Bridge to camp. You stay there because it's 1/2 mile to the loop, and it has full hookups. When I was there my truck was literally 3 ft to my steps and my neighbors slide was 3ft from mine..... did I care? Absolutely not because I left at first light and got back after dark every single day.... it's just a place to sleep. You won't be rolling out the outdoor rugs and BBQ grills at this place.

And Colter Bay is phenomenal. I actually liked Grand Teton better than Yellowstone.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Fishing bridge with almost identical gear. Very tight, no fire ring or table. However its location in the park is good and you won't be at your trailer much. We stayed there because of reservations and full hook ups. The park was slammed with people and we stayed in October, the last week Fishing Bridge was open for the season. Arriving in Yellowstone without a reservation would sure raise my blood pressure.

We departed through the West entrance. A few miles in from the entrance a number of elk were bedding down. People stopped in the road to take pictures and created a backup that looked like about 2 hours. I understand this common. No way I would want to deal with that daily to see the park. I guess staying in West Yellowstone might work if you are an early riser.

Enjoy your trip as the sites are spectacular. Dittos on the comments about Coulter Bay and the Tetons.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
tropical_ron wrote:
We stayed at Yellowstone Grizzly Bear Rv Park. Great access to the parks west entrance

Same here, don't camp inside Yellowstone. It's way to cramped.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
We camped at Fishing Bridge one year just before or just after Labor Day weekend, and it worked out well. The CG was quite full, and we did have an interesting time getting into our site. However, that's a good time of year to be there. A few of the places in the park close the day after Labor Day, but most places to eat, buy souvenirs, etc. will still be open then.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Lewii
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all replies. I made reservations for Fishing bridge for 1st week September. My plan is to arrive when labor day crowd going home. ๐Ÿ˜‰ We'll see how that works out.
2012 Keystone Laredo
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L Hemi

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at rainbow point outside of West Yellowstone and enjoyed it. If I was to go back I would stay at different areas of the park to limit drive time. Don't skip the Tetons, we stayed at the Colter Bay and enjoyed it.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
4huskers wrote:
Call now if you're thinking about Fishing Bridge inside the park. Since you're under 35' there may be some sites left. Staying inside the park is a real time saver. We're going in August also and got a spot at Fishing Bridge, so we'll have hookups.

Ditto on that, you'll cut at least an hour in the morning and another hour in the afternoon off driving time if you stay inside the park. Yellowstone is big, the same size as Maryland, and you'll be doing a lot driving anyway.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper