cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PO'd Rv owner

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
Right now, I'm sitting here totally pissed off with Rv manufacturers. Last year while driving from the west coast to Toronto and back I had 2 major tire blowouts. This year, I'm planning on a longer trip. East. south, west and then north. So, I decided I needed 4 new tires for my Fifth wheel. I start my research online and talking with tire stores. I also check the forums here. I was a noob before I started this search. No longer. My Montana fifth wheel That max weight is 16,000lbs was delivered with Goodyear Marathon tires rated at 3000lbs. x 4 = 12,000lbs. So, this trailer was destined to fail. The blowouts were inevitable. Do these manufacturers not care one iota about the lives of the people who give them their money. I don't know how they can get away with this. I've only found two tires that would work on my trailer, both 14ply. Sailun and Samson. Sorry, rant over.
2011 Montana 3455SA
2013 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab King Ranch SRW
Gary & Jane Retired Toy Store owners
2 Sheltie Furkids Cammie & Stormy
44 REPLIES 44

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
ya just blew a marathon on my rushmore 15800lbs. Went to sailun no issues drove from Toronto to fredrickton nb in may. Smooth ride no fears

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
titleist wrote:
I just got back From Florida last weekend. Had 3 tires blow. 1 on the way down and 2 on the way back. 3 year old Goodyear Marathons. All were at 80 psi. I have written a letter to Goodyear so we will see what happens.

After the entire building recovers from their laughing fit, it'll hit the round-file PDQ, is my prediction.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

titleist
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back From Florida last weekend. Had 3 tires blow. 1 on the way down and 2 on the way back. 3 year old Goodyear Marathons. All were at 80 psi. I have written a letter to Goodyear so we will see what happens.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
garyp4951 wrote:
I have been told, and agree that the tires should be rated for the trailer gross weight, to have a margin of safety.

Look at any commercial gooseneck's tires, then check the factory weight sticker. I have as yet to find one that doesn't have tires that at least meet the GVW.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Rygar wrote:
Right now, I'm sitting here totally pissed off with Rv manufacturers. Last year while driving from the west coast to Toronto and back I had 2 major tire blowouts. This year, I'm planning on a longer trip. East. south, west and then north. So, I decided I needed 4 new tires for my Fifth wheel. I start my research online and talking with tire stores. I also check the forums here. I was a noob before I started this search. No longer. My Montana fifth wheel That max weight is 16,000lbs was delivered with Goodyear Marathon tires rated at 3000lbs. x 4 = 12,000lbs. So, this trailer was destined to fail. The blowouts were inevitable. Do these manufacturers not care one iota about the lives of the people who give them their money. I don't know how they can get away with this. I've only found two tires that would work on my trailer, both 14ply. Sailun and Samson. Sorry, rant over.

MONEY is what they care about. Everything else is far down the list.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

NWKomfort350
Explorer
Explorer
I am running Hercules H-901 235/85R16. Load range G.

Just another option for anybody looking for a G rated tire.
Chris & Stephanie
2 kids - 1 boy / 1 girl
Winston (boxer)
2016 Open Range Roamer 367BHS
13 F350 6.7 CREW LONG BED SRW
B & W Patriot

02 F350 7.3 SC LB SRW - SOLD
2014 Keystone Cougar 281BHS - SOLD

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Montana has not used GY Marathons for a few years now as they now have Saliun G rated tires as the Standard tire for the heavy Montana's it is to late for you but they Finally Listened,I had Marathons on my old 2012 Monty but changed them out quickly for G rated tires and never had problems
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
TenOC wrote:
eHoefler wrote:
Upgrade to a 17.5" wheel and tire combo. I did it 2 years ago and it was no more than the cost of replacing the 16" LT tires that I had on there. Now I am good for 6005 pounds per wheel and tire.

What measurements do you need to make to be sure the 17.5 wheel will fit with rubbing? I have a 2005 32 FKS Carriage Compass Travel Trailer. I want to upgrade to a larger wheel so I can us the same LT tires I use on my TV. This way my TV spare will be available as a TT spare.

The over all diameter is the same as the 16" I took off, so no worries.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
eHoefler wrote:
Upgrade to a 17.5" wheel and tire combo. I did it 2 years ago and it was no more than the cost of replacing the 16" LT tires that I had on there. Now I am good for 6005 pounds per wheel and tire.

What measurements do you need to make to be sure the 17.5 wheel will fit with rubbing? I have a 2005 32 FKS Carriage Compass Travel Trailer. I want to upgrade to a larger wheel so I can us the same LT tires I use on my TV. This way my TV spare will be available as a TT spare.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Rygar wrote:
I checked my wheels and they're stamped 110psi on them, so I ordered the Sailuns. I wanted to buy them from Kal Tire but Fountain Tire will repack my bearings as well and Kal Tire won't. $1000 for the tires and $200 to hand pack my bearings and put on new seals.

Great, you'll be very happy! Please let us know what your thoughts are when you get them; I think you'll be very surprised to see how beefy they are! 🙂
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Take a trip across the scales when your fully loaded and see some actual weights of each axle. Then disconnect and weigh your truck so you can calculate your actual weight and pin weight.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
I like it! Go big or go home. 😉
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a fact of RV life that ST tires will fail, at some point. It might be age or lack of proper maintenance, or it might just be a cheaply made or under-rated tire for the application. To the OP, if those were the original tires on a 2011 unit, you really got good service out of them. With 7k axles and 110psi wheels yaou can go to G-rated tires.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We always check the air and the lug nut tongue before departing a campground. it is part of our departure check list.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK