cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PO'd Rv owner

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
Right now, I'm sitting here totally pissed off with Rv manufacturers. Last year while driving from the west coast to Toronto and back I had 2 major tire blowouts. This year, I'm planning on a longer trip. East. south, west and then north. So, I decided I needed 4 new tires for my Fifth wheel. I start my research online and talking with tire stores. I also check the forums here. I was a noob before I started this search. No longer. My Montana fifth wheel That max weight is 16,000lbs was delivered with Goodyear Marathon tires rated at 3000lbs. x 4 = 12,000lbs. So, this trailer was destined to fail. The blowouts were inevitable. Do these manufacturers not care one iota about the lives of the people who give them their money. I don't know how they can get away with this. I've only found two tires that would work on my trailer, both 14ply. Sailun and Samson. Sorry, rant over.
2011 Montana 3455SA
2013 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab King Ranch SRW
Gary & Jane Retired Toy Store owners
2 Sheltie Furkids Cammie & Stormy
44 REPLIES 44

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best tire in the world can not defend itself against a puncture. Go with run flats if you must like the high end sports cars and police vehicles. I don't know if they even make them in the right size/rating but when you hit **** in the road or debris in a parking lot you are still going to have to replace them.
I have NEVER seen anybody check tire pressures in a campground. I know some of us are running TPMS so we don't look like we are doing it even though we are.
Puma 30RKSS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might want to look past the tires. Check on barely good enough spring packs. Check on frame reinforcement in spring hanger areas. Check on balance from side to side. How much heavy stuff is on one side & what can you do about it?

Yeah, check the tires. Check them everyday. Check for ageing. Check for uneven wear. Check for inflation. Check the numbers & reputation before even buying. Buying cheap might be OK for the weekend warrior headed for the local CG each weekend. Buying cheap is asking for trouble for the long distance traveller.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
I checked my wheels and they're stamped 110psi on them, so I ordered the Sailuns. I wanted to buy them from Kal Tire but Fountain Tire will repack my bearings as well and Kal Tire won't. $1000 for the tires and $200 to hand pack my bearings and put on new seals.
2011 Montana 3455SA
2013 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab King Ranch SRW
Gary & Jane Retired Toy Store owners
2 Sheltie Furkids Cammie & Stormy

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
So get tires that cover the full GVWR. I did and they still fail ๐Ÿ˜ž

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Put Sailun S637's on and be happy. Been running mine for 2 1/2 years and they are still like new. BTW Kal Tire carries them here in BC.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

rich_and_char
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Pin weight is carried by tow vehicle so weight on trailer tires/axles should be less then max load rating of tires at max psi

GY Marathon 16" 'D'----3000# @65 psi (12,000# total)
GY Marathon 16" 'E'----3420# @80 psi (13,680# total)
2011 Montana should have come with 235/80R16E (3420#/each)

BUT RV tires are marginal especially IF:
Overloaded
Under-inflated
Run above speed ratings
Old (more then 5 yrs)

Changing to higher load rated tires is a good step....just remember wheels have to have same/higher load/psi ratings as the new tires

GY G614s ---good 'G' rated tire 110 psi-high dollar
Sailuns S637s have good reviews...again 110 psi-lower priced then GY

Sound advice,
2011 F-350/CC/LB/Drw/6.7L
2013 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS "Pearl Edition" Trail-Air Pin Box
Pullrite 20.5K Super 5th

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like it could be a class action suit. Seriously dangerous.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
16 years i've owned and operated my camp, seen a lot of tire failures as guests arrive, by the damage to the camper or the blow out in the back of the truck.
Never seen a Maxxis or Hercules fail

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pin weight is carried by tow vehicle so weight on trailer tires/axles should be less then max load rating of tires at max psi

GY Marathon 16" 'D'----3000# @65 psi (12,000# total)
GY Marathon 16" 'E'----3420# @80 psi (13,680# total)
2011 Montana should have come with 235/80R16E (3420#/each)

BUT RV tires are marginal especially IF:
Overloaded
Under-inflated
Run above speed ratings
Old (more then 5 yrs)

Changing to higher load rated tires is a good step....just remember wheels have to have same/higher load/psi ratings as the new tires

GY G614s ---good 'G' rated tire 110 psi-high dollar
Sailuns S637s have good reviews...again 110 psi-lower priced then GY
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I am not defending the Marathons as they have a history of blowouts, but I thought they are rated for nearly 3,500 lbs.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been told, and agree that the tires should be rated for the trailer gross weight, to have a margin of safety.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Figuring 20 percent pin weight, each of your tires is carrying 3200 pounds.

I also just put on the Sailun 235/80-16 tires for my 14k fiver. Each of them is rated at 4080 pounds at 110 psi. In your situation, I would suggest going with the 235/85-16 Sailuns if you have the clearance - they are .9 inch taller. They are rated at 4400 pounds each.

The 85 series tires cost only a little more then the 80 series.

* And I agree 100 percent with your rant.

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
They don't give you much safety margin. Put the Sailun S637 G rated 235/80-16s on mine last week. Makes me feel a lot better with extra reserve capacity. They are a lot heavier and more substantial than the GY Marathon that blew out.

rich_and_char
Explorer
Explorer
sailun's or Goodyear G614's
2011 F-350/CC/LB/Drw/6.7L
2013 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS "Pearl Edition" Trail-Air Pin Box
Pullrite 20.5K Super 5th

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Pin weight...... you don't travel with 16k on the axles.