cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Popup Television is rear of Fifth Wheel

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of buying a new Big Horn 3010 with the popup TV in rear. The only concern I have is, is it hard to watch TV on such a angle with out being able to swivel the TV. I would love to hear from anyone with this similar setup.

Thanks
Dennis
20 REPLIES 20

SuperDutyFiver
Explorer
Explorer
An additional note-you'll likely find that the recliner closest to the TV is the one that experiences the viewing problem-the one further has an increased viewing angle that mostly solves the issue you're concerned about...
36' Carriage Carri-Lite 35rl3
PSD 4x4 Custom Tow Vehicle-the 550
PSD 4X4 2017 CC short box
PSD 4x4 SUV-the X

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
No issues getting comfy watching ours, love it right where it is in the back (comes up from behind the electric fireplace).
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
They do make versions of side TVs where the TV retracts into the cabinet. Could be the best all around option for some.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
sorry for the double post.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
grampscamper wrote:
We have the Laredo 312re. Very similar layout but TV is on a swivel. We do move the recliners out so they are in front of the TV. A little inconvenient but if you like the floor plan I wouldn't see it as a problem.

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Laredo 312re. Very similar layout but TV is on a swivel. We do move the recliners out so they are in front of the TV. A little inconvenient but if you like the floor plan I wouldn't see it as a problem.

texas_train
Explorer
Explorer
we don't watch tv that much, maybe a little in the evenings so its nice to have windows on both sides and rear. We go to places to see the places not the tv?!?! however in the evenings we can just run up the big screen, in rear wall cabinet (pops up from behind fireplace) and swivel recliners a little to watch.
2012 Cedar Creek 36 RE Touring ED, all avail options
2011 GMC 2500 HD Denali DMax
2007 Sea Ray 290
Don and Rosie, Annie the wonder DogMost excellent Sea-Ray "Sapphire Queen"
clicky to our photobook album

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
I really like the TV gone when we are not watching it. If it is on a wall, it is always their. When not watching TV it is retracted and the big window is available. I should admit we use the FW for recreation not a residence, so TV is not a big deal.
Big Bird 2

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 3010 with the setup you describe. I don't find it a problem. The two recliners do swivel so that is a plus. As someone else stated, maybe you can find a different mount that will allow the TV to tilt. Seems like that kind of mount has to be available somewhere. Also, this is a nice big TV. I would think it would take up a lot of space if mounted on a wall. And I might be wrong about this point, but maybe a large TV shouldn't be mounted on a wall hinge due to the size and weight of the TV. Couldn't the forces generated by the coach's up/down and fore/aft movements as it travels down the road cause problems for the wall mounts holding large TVs due to their weight ?

I think it's a plus that the TV can be viewed by anyone sitting in the recliners or the couch at the same time. I also like the fact that the TV hides behind the fireplace as opposed to being mounted on a wall and possibly taking up cabinet space. AND I like the fact that I have that big window available for viewing during daylight, but when it gets dark, it turns into TV time. I'd rather have the nice view when the sun is up. When it's dark, I pull the shades down anyway and then send up the TV.

And last - you might visit the Heartland Owners Forum and ask your questions, especially about a swivel mount.

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like most don't like the RE floor plans.

We have the rear entertainment style with the disappearing television.
The recliners can be moved out so viewing is no problem.

I personally like the view out of a full rear window when the television is down, and also having an unblocked view from either side.

We have had absolutely no regrets with our floor plan.

jay5er
Explorer
Explorer
Yes/yes/yes---not only is it hard to see but most of them block the large window in the rear. Most models also offer a similar floorplan with a side mounted TV.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
I think some of the model designers place TV's in trailers and never take the time to sit down and try to watch it for more than one minute, if that!!! No way would I want a TV on the rear wall with angled viewing in all the seats!!!

If we ever get a new trailer for snowbirding, which is now our main use, it will have two theater style recliners on a sidewall/slide that look straight on at the TV on the other sidewall/slide!

Chris

x2

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer
We had one in the old rig and would never have on again. I had to move chairs to the middle of the floor to watch and get a clear picture. When we bought the new rig that was one of the things that would break a deal. Ours now sits at and angle and can be seen clearly from the couch or recliners.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

SuperDutyFiver
Explorer
Explorer
My old unit had the rear entertainment with recliners in the slide-but they did swivel-I don't see a problem with it as long as the chairs swivel. I also would imagine that you could eventually upgrade the mount to a zero clearance that tilts left and right-this was you could swing the tv towards the side you're sittiing on...
36' Carriage Carri-Lite 35rl3
PSD 4x4 Custom Tow Vehicle-the 550
PSD 4X4 2017 CC short box
PSD 4x4 SUV-the X