cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need opinions on a used model...length and weight

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
I saw an unusual front kitchen model that we are going to see today. A 2006 Prowler Regal.

I called and they said that it was 40' long and 12,442 lbs. We were really trying to stay within 38' or so (for National parks and such), but this one has everything that was on our list (except for the front kitchen part...did not know that it existed, but it is interesting enough for a drive to go see it).

What I would like to know.... 40' seems to be really on the long side...not knowing much as a newbie. I wonder if this is overkill for starters and how difficult it would be to maneuver and get into most of the parks? Also, can we tow it with a one ton truck?

Thanks so much for all your help!
15 REPLIES 15

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Tin Pusher wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
Thats a lot of trailer for the first one and there will be limits to where you can take it.

Agree 100%. Full time maybe, weekends, no.

Well...we are considering that we MAY go full time very soon, so we are trying to hit a sweet spot with our first purchase, but 40' feels too long for our purposes....so we are glad that we did not like the rig.

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcaneer wrote:
OK...Mookie. What is your next challenge for us? Just want to say that you are looking at a lot of different things out there. And your quest, is pretty active. And as your interest develops in the different models/floorplans/sizes, you are doing the right thing in your due diligence, by asking others for opinions. And you are putting us to the test of our knowledge/opinions.

I don't know about the others but, I am enjoying being part of your search. What concerns me is that as you go through the process, if you finally do buy one and it gives you problems, you will blame us. :W

Just remember the final buying decision is yours.

Of course! No worries! I am a researcher. That means that I take in all the information necessary before making my own decision in making a purchase. When I shop for other things, I read all the online reviews, consumer reports, etc. I gather as much info as possible and make my own informed decision and it has served me very well. Because I do this, my friends ask me for advice on what to buy, because I will have researched anything thoroughly prior to making a purchase.

No one has told me what to buy, and I have not asked for "advice" on what to buy. I ask for experience and opinion.....which is NOT advice to go in a specific direction. Unless you are standing next to me with a gun to my head demanding that we buy a particular rig, I don't see how you could be blamed! ๐Ÿ™‚

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
OK...Mookie. What is your next challenge for us? Just want to say that you are looking at a lot of different things out there. And your quest, is pretty active. And as your interest develops in the different models/floorplans/sizes, you are doing the right thing in your due diligence, by asking others for opinions. And you are putting us to the test of our knowledge/opinions.

I don't know about the others but, I am enjoying being part of your search. What concerns me is that as you go through the process, if you finally do buy one and it gives you problems, you will blame us. :W

Just remember the final buying decision is yours.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, for your generous support! It has been wonderful to have you guys walking us through the process! ๐Ÿ™‚

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Problem solved! We decided to pass on it. It was not for us. The floorplan made the living area feel way too tight!

Thank you!! This was a learning experience!

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
fla-gypsy wrote:
Thats a lot of trailer for the first one and there will be limits to where you can take it.

Agree 100%. Full time maybe, weekends, no.
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
When we purchased our present fifth wheel our goal was to stay below 34 feet. We camp in NY state parks allot and anything longer then 34 feet I start to have problems getting into many of the campgrounds.

Also I did not anything with more than 2 axles - toll roads get pretty expensive - especially in New York State.

Make sure you have the right truck to pull it - fifth wheels in the 38-40 foot range usually need a dually.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Quote " I wonder if this is overkill for starters and how difficult it would be to maneuver and get into most of the parks? Also, can we tow it with a one ton truck?"

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!! Thanks so much for your expert advice!! I will get the pin weight and post.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
It may have quite a bit more pin weight than a front BR fifth wheel. So make sure you have a good strong truck. Maybe think about a 3500 dually. I would expect they should construct the front of the 5'r with more gusseting to accommodate the extra needed strength in the frame. But see if you can check that out. I agree, that mid 2000 Fleetwoods/ Prowlers didn't have the best reputation.

If you are familiar with backing large trailers the length probably won't present a handling problem. It might not fit into a lot of state parks, COE,s, or county parks.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

SuperDutyFiver
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO-Quality control was a bit of an issue with the Fleetwood trailers in the mid 2000s.

With that said, if the unit physically looks good and isn't falling apart or showing any stress cracks around the pin area scoop it up-you can get a lot of bang for your buck if it was one of the good ones!
36' Carriage Carri-Lite 35rl3
PSD 4x4 Custom Tow Vehicle-the 550
PSD 4X4 2017 CC short box
PSD 4x4 SUV-the X

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't let 2 ft stop me from buying something I really wanted. if you feel like you would be comfortable with a 38 footer, go for it.
bumpy

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 12K lbs 36 footer with a 1 ton diesel dually crew cab and it is a well-behaved combination and completely within towing specs. But it is not a Prowler, it's a Cougar.

That 40 foot length would be challenging at times. We were at one campsite where we had to remove the spare tire and dig a small hole to accomodate the bumper because the site was not level. That site was not a problem for the smaller rigs. So your observation on length is a good one, but also ask how often you expect to be in that situation vs how often will you miss the things you don't have in a smaller unit. Life is full of choices. Good luck.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
you will not like it.the cabinets had a problem staying together due to frame flex.you will not like thebpin weight very hars on a truck.good luck getting a 0ft trailer in most state parks.