cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Possible Wheel or suspension issue.

ghampton
Explorer
Explorer
I am having an issue with my fifth wheel that I am wondering if anyone else has experienced. When I accelerate from a stop while turning the wheel I am getting a bump-bump-bump in my truck steering wheel. Feels like an issue with wheels-brakes-suspension on trailer. It only happens when I am turning when accelerating like leaving an RV site or a gas pump. If I accelerate in straight line it does not happen. It also does not happen when moving, only when accelerating.
I have four new tires on the trailer, so I don;t think I have an issue with tire balance.
Any suggestions as to what this might be would be appreciated.
20 REPLIES 20

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like its the rear end of the truck kicking out. Limited slip rearend is doing what you think is the front end. Reason I say this my 2004 does the same thing if I turn and pull out under power at the same time. Does it without the camper. But the extra weight just makes it show up better.
One wheel is trying to turn faster then the other. And the rear ends of these trucks does make this sound at times.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well here is some apples and oranges. :h

I had a 2WD F 250 that shuddered when accelerating (way more pronounced when turning tight). Turned out to be drive line/shaft alignment. If it was sq1uatted a little that would happen.

Installed air bags to keep it level and that cured the issue.

I don't think it should have been that way but what it was.

good luck

greatwhitenort1
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
Allworth wrote:
Transfer case locking up under load? Push button range selector on a Silverado, right?

(Sway Bar on a fiver???? Maybe you should keep track of which forum you are reading.)

That was my thinking also. They also had a "pump rub" issue but not sure of the years, easy Google search though.

Pump rub issue went away when NBS trucks came out in late 07. And would have nothing to do with OPs problem.

ghampton
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions. I now have a number of good ideas to trouble shoot the issue.

Round_Topper
Explorer
Explorer
What about the rear end on the truck? If your truck has a limited slip differential, it could be popping when you turn and accelerate and be amplified by the extra weight of the trailer. If your differential fluid requires the friction modifier additive or is due for a change, it could cause this.
RTer

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Transfer case locking up under load? Push button range selector on a Silverado, right?

(Sway Bar on a fiver???? Maybe you should keep track of which forum you are reading.)

That was my thinking also. They also had a "pump rub" issue but not sure of the years, easy Google search though.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Has it happened when not towing? The reason I ask is depending on the pavement and turn I pick up a little. was told it has to do with the ABS system
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
What is the weight of your trailer. And what is your truck, year make and model. Sounds to me like your trailer is loading your rear wheels, and unweighting your front wheels.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
It almost sounds like your in four wheel drive on dry pavement. I would have your front end checked out.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Jim_Cindy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, double post.
PBH Portable Beach House

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison :C
2009 Cameo 34CK3
MorRyde IS, Disc Brakes, G614's
PullRite Super Glide Hitch
Propane fueled Yamaha EF 2400is

Jim_Cindy
Explorer
Explorer
ghampton, what type of hitch do you have and is it lubed properly?
PBH Portable Beach House

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison :C
2009 Cameo 34CK3
MorRyde IS, Disc Brakes, G614's
PullRite Super Glide Hitch
Propane fueled Yamaha EF 2400is

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lorinmc3 wrote:
My truck did the same thing. Come to find out, it was my sway bar on my trailer. I had it adjusted too tight. Unhook yours and move the truck while turning and see if the bump goes away.

There are no anti sway bars on a fiver, so can't be the same thing.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Lorinmc3
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I said sway bar on trailer is, my truck was doing the same thing. I would have bet anything it was coming from the front end of my truck. But sometimes a noise will fool you. Turned out to be the opposite from where it sounded like it was coming from. Doesn't hurt to check everything.