cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

possibly a deadly situation with a corroded battery terminal

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
While driving my 1998 Chevy Dually yesterday, the engine died. I wqas left with no brakes and steering was next to nothing. Got it off the road and found that the positive side terminal on the battery was corroded inside the cable boot so there was no power at all in the truck. Now, if I had been towing my 18K 5th wheel down hill when this happened I would have been toast since the brake pedal could not have sent a braking command to the 5th. This has me concerned that a simple thing like a corroded battery terminal can about do me in. I will definitely make sure my serpentine belt is like new, battery terminals are clean and all power cables and grounds are good.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3
28 REPLIES 28

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
scrubjaysnest wrote:
Not to mention the possible fire hazard.
Fire hazard from what? There was no power coming out of the battery, what could start on fire??

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
What an odd coincidence. My Chevy (that is a great starter) did not want to go yesterday. Put my meter on the battery bolts to check the battery charge, and couldn't even get a reading. Turns out the ground bolt on mine was corroded and not making contact. For me, that was the first time I've ever seen that.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
A little maintenance will go along way... We learned along time ago there is more to it then just jumping in behind the wheel and drive...

Roy Ken

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that Roy.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
Charging voltage is about 13.2 volts. This truck flat stopped running when the battery terminal circuit opened up due to the resistive corrosion. In the old days, I too have pulled a battery out while the motor was running. Perhaps with the newer alternators, field excitation current is required from the battery. Regardless, the truck quit. I cleaned the terminals, and everything is now fine. The accumulator in the Hydraboost provided about two pumps then the pedal went to the floor. This is a single point failure that can possibly do one in.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
When you run the truck, disconnect the battery cable. See if it continues to run. Or, take the truck to a parts store and have them check the charging voltage.
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps the alt quit and with no voltage going to the battery it (the battery) was consumed trying to provide voltage for the spark plugs.
Just guess,
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the original post - even with a dead engine you should have 5 to 7 power assisted brake applications in reserve. "No brakes" suggests you pumped them and exhausted that reserve.
Steering - yup, it would be VERY heavy!
But I still don't understand why the engine died in the first place.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I'd pull that acid tub out of there and replace with AGM.

After having an AGM marine battery for running a electric motor for inflatable fishing pontoon I am impressed with them. I like the sealed part of them for all the handling I have to do with them, no worry about acid . As far as a permanent battery not sure they are worth the extra cost.Other then being sealed do they last that much longer then a good quality standard battery.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd pull that acid tub out of there and replace with AGM.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry B wrote:
While driving my 1998 Chevy Dually yesterday, the engine died. I wqas left with no brakes and steering was next to nothing. Got it off the road and found that the positive side terminal on the battery was corroded inside the cable boot so there was no power at all in the truck. Now, if I had been towing my 18K 5th wheel down hill when this happened I would have been toast since the brake pedal could not have sent a braking command to the 5th. This has me concerned that a simple thing like a corroded battery terminal can about do me in. I will definitely make sure my serpentine belt is like new, battery terminals are clean and all power cables and grounds are good.

You were running off the battery until it died, apparently you don't have an alternator light or gauge that is working. Sounds like an alternator or relay went out, and you were running on the battery until it went dead. Corroded battery terminal did not do you in, it could of prevented the battery from getting a charge, but then the truck would eventually not start.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:
Something else going on here - your alternator should have continued to power the truck unless it too shut down.

That is what I thought also.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Not to mention the possible fire hazard.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
A little maintenance will go along way... We learned along time ago there is more to it then just jumping in behind the wheel and drive...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Something else going on here - your alternator should have continued to power the truck unless it too shut down.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.