cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power awning motor failure

justme
Explorer
Explorer
My power awning motor failed with the awning closed in the travel position. I have instructions on how to replace the motor, but the instructions pertain to an awning that is not closed. My question is how do I manually unfurl the awning two turns without the motor? Every thing I have seen assume the awning is open and not closed after a motor failure.
4 REPLIES 4

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Double post

justme
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:
Have someone push the switch while you manually unrole the awning. It can be done. Even the dead motor can be forced with the current going through it. Be sure to cable tie the opposite arm so it will not come down.

That might work. I do hear clicking noise so maybe that is the brake releasing. The awning is a Dometic 9100 and I contacted Dometic and they could not advise me and suggested that I take it to a RV shop for repairs. I am surprised that they could not offer advise and assumed that the RV shop was more qualified than Dometic for this repair.
I now have little confidence in the reliability of auto/motorized awnings. I prey when the open or close the awning that the will operate again. I think I will go manual next time.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Have someone push the switch while you manually unrole the awning. It can be done. Even the dead motor can be forced with the current going through it. Be sure to cable tie the opposite arm so it will not come down.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are referring to a Carefree electric awning, then you have to destroy the plastic covers since you can't get to the screws on the back side. I used a flat blade screwdriver, wire cutter and pliers to break off pieces of the covers. Then you can access bolts for the motor/gear box. With that removed, the gas struts will force the awning open, but don't let it open more than a few inches. Install new motor/gear box and new covers. Did this about 7 yrs ago, so maybe someone has a better solution.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos