cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Cougar

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All. We bought a 2015 Cougar 28sgs in August and are having nothing but problems. The worst of which is a constantly leaking bedroom window that they can't seem to fix, a week and a half ago I called the service dept & they said that the window might have to be replaced and he would call keystone, so I have been waiting for them to call me back .. Well I went into the dealers today for an update and now they tell me that there never is/was a plan to order a new window and that I have to bring it in first , so I have been waiting for a call back that would have never come.. Why not tell me that in the first place??? In the meantime water has been streaming down the inside wall whenever it rains , who knows what damage it might be causing. We are now worried about delamination a few years down the road when there is no warranty. Has anyone else had this happen? I now have an appointment to take it in today at 1:00 pm. Should I be concerned about it delaminating in a few years time ? Another thing they are going to fix "again" is a screeching wheel at low speed. Now the service guy is going from being nice to off-handish so I am also getting annoyed by the attitude as well.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0
15 REPLIES 15

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at the lemon law in your state. By now, I would be talking to an attorney about forcing them to give me a new trailer or refunding my money.
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Martin, I'd bet that someone at Keystone is already monitoring this on the fora. I'd also suggest that you post on the Keystone owner's forum. If anyone at the factory does get back to you, politely, not threateningly, let them know that you are documenting this and posting updates to the Net. Keep it professional and factual and make sure you give adequate props to anyone that helps you.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
First off thanks to everyone for the support and suggestions.
I Sent an email to Keystone outlining the problems hopefully they will respond sooner than later. The dealer will have the unit for the time that it takes to get the parts in . As I was leaving it occurred to me that they may not keep it indoors for the next 2 wks or however long it takes , so I went back in and asked service guy if they were keeping it undercover , he said no and it seems that he hadn't even thought of it and said they would have to do some temporary repair so it would stay dry in the meantime….. What if I hadn't gone back in ? I had taped up the upper part of the window but it wasn't meant as a long term temp fix only to get it to the dealer, but now they need it to measure the window and to check out the other windows for leaks. The more I think about it the more I worry . The reason we bought new was to avoid delamination in the first place , now it seems to wants to happen to us anyway. We are taking notes and pictures and documenting everything but I don't know if it will do any good. I don't think our consumer protection laws are as good in Canada.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl

path1
Explorer
Explorer
"In the meantime water has been streaming down the inside wall whenever it rains , who knows what damage it might be causing.

I know what damage it is causing. Your lucky in that you caught it early when you can get some help

"We are now worried about delamination a few years down the road when there is no warranty".

That's why the warranty is as long as it is. You should be worried. You have to get it fixed right. And I mean fixed to not have any more water penetration. Not "fixed" In their opinion to get them over warranty period.

Brought home new Holiday Rambler. No signs of any leaks for 3 years. One day see light reflection on wall look just a little bit different. Warranty is over at this point. Took wall apart. For some unknown reason behind the shower panel somebody decided to pop a staple into a pipe. Had to be done when it was made.
Only time wall was apart. Just barley made a drip and only when shower was used. But after 3 years a little drip destroyed a wall and part of the floor. Took pic's and talked with Holiday Rambler. Holiday Rambler was very apologetic. Apologetic to the point of giving a whopping 10% discount on the parts needed. (New plastic pipe and 1 sheet of laun and 1 roll of wall paper). And the dealer was also apologetic and would work on it "as soon as possible".
Was Holiday Rambler's bust from the beginning but took 3 years to show up.

It could happen to anybody, I've been told.

Glad you caught it early, get it fixed right to prevent problems later.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

path1
Explorer
Explorer

path1
Explorer
Explorer
In the meantime water has been streaming down the inside wall whenever it rains , who knows what damage it might be causing.

I know what damage it is causing. Your lucky in that you caught it early when you can get some help

We are now worried about delamination a few years down the road when there is no warranty.

That's why the warranty is as long as it is. You should be worried. You have to get it fixed right. And I mean fixed to not have any more water penetration. Not "fixed" I their opinion to get them over warranty period.

Brought home new Holiday Rambler. No signs of any leaks for 3 years. One day see light reflection on wall look just a little bit different. Warranty is over at this point. Took wall apart. For some unknown reason behind the shower panel somebody decided to pop a staple into a pipe. Had to be done when it was made.
Only time wall was apart. Just barley made a drip and only when shower was used. But after 3 years a little drip destroyed a wall and part of the floor. Took pic's and talked with Holiday Rambler. Holiday Rambler was very apologetic. Apologetic to the point of giving a 10% discount on the parts needed. (New plastic pipe and 1 sheet of laun and 1 roll of wall paper). And the deal was also apologetic and would worm on it "as soon as possible". Bunch of crap.
Was Holiday Ramblers bust from the beginning but took 3 years to show up. And by that time they say;

Yep, had to be done at factory. Sorry, but warranty is over.

So sometimes I post with my sig line and sometimes not. Please read sig line.

It could happen to anybody, I've been told.

Glad you caught it early, get it fixed right to prevent problems later.

Has anyone else had this happen? I now have an appointment to take it in today at 1:00 pm. Should I be concerned about it delaminating in a few years time ?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
shepstone wrote:
VegasBT wrote:
I just picked up my 28SGS from a dealer in Phoenix over the weekend. On the ride home, or when I extended the awning upon my return to Las Vegas, the awning began to separate from the trailer at the rear. The awning is now at least 2" away from the trailer at the end, and the screws that are supposed to attach it to the trailer have pulled completely out. I just emailed Keystone Customer Service asking where I can take it for service locally. I hope to hear back soon, and that this is a quick repair!

Yep same thing happened to mine as well except it was at the front. When they fixed it Keystone added a message to the owner (me) " When retracting awning, keep a close eye on roller, stop before it starts pulling against wall again".So that means that there is no automatic stop for these awnings.
So I took it into the dealer today and they said that they are going to order a whole new window , while he was at it he noticed that one of the fixed picture windows may also be leaking but water was only on the inside of the metal window frame itself . After thinking about it it occurred to me that it may just be from condensation. But anyway they are going to check all windows now for any signs of trouble. We love the trailer it has the best floor plan/price for us and is nicely loaded with options we wanted. Just have to get these problems out of the way.

Sounds like the dealer's taking care of you, but I'd want something IN WRITING from Keystone directly, about any possible delam issues in the next few years. This is a brand new rig and if a manufacturing defect causes problems, say 5 years down the road, they should still warrant it.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
VegasBT wrote:
I just picked up my 28SGS from a dealer in Phoenix over the weekend. On the ride home, or when I extended the awning upon my return to Las Vegas, the awning began to separate from the trailer at the rear. The awning is now at least 2" away from the trailer at the end, and the screws that are supposed to attach it to the trailer have pulled completely out. I just emailed Keystone Customer Service asking where I can take it for service locally. I hope to hear back soon, and that this is a quick repair!

Yep same thing happened to mine as well except it was at the front. When they fixed it Keystone added a message to the owner (me) " When retracting awning, keep a close eye on roller, stop before it starts pulling against wall again".So that means that there is no automatic stop for these awnings.
So I took it into the dealer today and they said that they are going to order a whole new window , while he was at it he noticed that one of the fixed picture windows may also be leaking but water was only on the inside of the metal window frame itself . After thinking about it it occurred to me that it may just be from condensation. But anyway they are going to check all windows now for any signs of trouble. We love the trailer it has the best floor plan/price for us and is nicely loaded with options we wanted. Just have to get these problems out of the way.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would call Keystone customer relations directly and explain the problems to them. Hopefully they would get involved and help solve the service issues.

VegasBT
Explorer
Explorer

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Duct tape suggestion…. Now Done. Thanks guys (although I used painters green tape)

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Yes, you should be concerned about future issues related to the leak.
If I were you, I would duck tape some plastic over the area to keep it from getting wet inside until they can fix it.

x2

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I would also document =everything=, including recording phone calls, pictures of the water coming in (video, too), every call/visit/email/letter you've exchanged with the dealer. I'd also call Keystone NOW, and start a conversation with their customer service people and see if you can get someone assigned to deal with this. Worse comes to worse, schedule a trip to the factory and have =them= fix their =own= shoddy work. HAMMER them on the delam possibility, too.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, you should be concerned about future issues related to the leak.
If I were you, I would duck tape some plastic over the area to keep it from getting wet inside until they can fix it.