cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with B&W Hitch

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
Just pulled in to my campsite and tried to release my B&W 18K Patriot hitch and it will not free the pin. I must have damaged the mechanism as the release bar will pull back BUT the jaws stay fixed on the pin. I tried a gentle "push back and pull forward" but no go. I am dead level and straight and did take pressure off with extended front legs. Open to suggestions. Thanks in advance. P.S. I am waiting a call back from a local RV Doc but I likely need a "hitch" service.
73 REPLIES 73

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:
I've had the exact same problem as the OP a couple times with my B/W and for whatever reason it will finally release by pulling out of it with the trailer wheels well chocked. I don't know what "user error" I could be causing as I'm sitting on flat ground with all the weight off the hitch? Overall, I really like the hitch but it is a bit frustrating to spend well north of 2K for a hitch and have it bind.

Did you put the pin for the handle in the position that holds the hitch handle open?

I never knew there was such a hole... I just use a bungee cord and hold it open.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's funny how everybody thinks they have the best hitch whether it's a B&W, Anderson or what have you. None of them are perfect despite what owners want you to believe. I also love it when somebody say "I will never go back to blah blah hitch, blah blah engine, etc.", because my brand or type is so awesome and better that anything else out there. Yea, right as if that going to convince me.

With that being said I have a B&W Patriot slider and has been great so far and no regrets.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
minnow wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Part of the reason people have trouble with the B&W hitch is part of the reason it's such a good hitch. It simply won't release if there is any pressure on the jaws. So If you're having issues with it not releasing, you've not relieved the pressure from the jaws.

If you have problems, pin the handle open, back up, then pull forward, problem solved. FWIW I've never had to do that in 8 years, but I have had to make sure the hitch was unloaded though.

Yes, because all of us RV’ers always camp on a perfectly level asphalt pull thru site. :S
You don't like the B&W hitch, that's pretty obvious, but why make stuff up? I guess in the absence of problems, some have to be created out of whole cloth, but pulling a non sequitur like that out of thin air is beyond ridiculous. But yeah, I don't camp anywhere except "...on a perfectly level asphalt pull thru site". Riiiight.

It's a superior hitch, just give up trolling and accept that fact. We'll understand.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"and I am in the minority here that has used both style of hitches."

B&W is NOT like other hitches. Closest thing is Hensley. So you have used one of these???

How about, have you used an Andersen ?? The B&W is a conventional hitch that has issues, release problems , potential to drop a fifth wheel , parts that wear out, yes it is like every other conventional hitch

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Part of the reason people have trouble with the B&W hitch is part of the reason it's such a good hitch. It simply won't release if there is any pressure on the jaws. So If you're having issues with it not releasing, you've not relieved the pressure from the jaws.

If you have problems, pin the handle open, back up, then pull forward, problem solved. FWIW I've never had to do that in 8 years, but I have had to make sure the hitch was unloaded though.

Yes, because all of us RV’ers always camp on a perfectly level asphalt pull thru site. :S

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
bshgto1 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

If a hitch is so designed that it becomes difficult to use or conditions have to be near prefect to get it to connect or release you prolly should look else where. There are to many options available now that eliminate all of the hassles associated with ones Wonder hitch and you don`t need a pin box catch on your hitch to save you from flattening your bed. I had my fill of the off center and out of level connections problems the last time I used my fifth wheel plate type hitch and moved to something more current.

Too, too funny. :B

Not only funny, but he’s 100% spot on too.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
I've had the exact same problem as the OP a couple times with my B/W and for whatever reason it will finally release by pulling out of it with the trailer wheels well chocked. I don't know what "user error" I could be causing as I'm sitting on flat ground with all the weight off the hitch? Overall, I really like the hitch but it is a bit frustrating to spend well north of 2K for a hitch and have it bind.

Did you put the pin for the handle in the position that holds the hitch handle open?
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:

YUP, I recommend using the 1/8" slip plate from Hensley so it's easier to "SEE" when the weight is off the hitch. With the 1" this jaws it's harder to see the clearance.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"and I am in the minority here that has used both style of hitches."

B&W is NOT like other hitches. Closest thing is Hensley. So you have used one of these???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
With my B&W I normally just gently pull the lever and the truck rolls ahead slightly and I'm released. If there is no tension on the hitch when I pull the lever I have two options:
1. I can close the lever, put the truck in drive to put a little tension on the pin, then put transmission back in park and repull the hitch release lever, or
2. I can pin the hitch release lever in the full release position and pull ahead with the truck. I don't think it could get any simpler.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
bshgto1 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
The issues reported with the B&W hitch, with one exception that I know of, are directly attributed to user error. The hitch itself is bulletproof and works a treat.

If a hitch is so designed that it becomes difficult to use or conditions have to be near prefect to get it to connect or release you prolly should look else where. There are to many options available now that eliminate all of the hassles associated with ones Wonder hitch and you don`t need a pin box catch on your hitch to save you from flattening your bed. I had my fill of the off center and out of level connections problems the last time I used my fifth wheel plate type hitch and moved to something more current.

Funny to some , not so funny to others sitting somewhere trying to get a hitch to release, user error or not, or just simply having to have everything just right for it to release such as this B&W.

Users of the Superglide have similar issues getting the hitch to release , too much angle its a no go, among other things.

I too will recommend an Andersen hitch at every opportunity, they do not have hitching issues, and I am in the minority here that has used both style of hitches.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
bshgto1 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
The issues reported with the B&W hitch, with one exception that I know of, are directly attributed to user error. The hitch itself is bulletproof and works a treat.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Chuck5395
Explorer
Explorer
bswan wrote:
I have a B&W Companion hitch on a 2018 RAM 3500 DRW that has the factory air bag. When I first started using the new setup the factory air bags would raise the truck as the 5th wheel landing gear took the pin weight off. This made it difficult to release the hitch from the camper. I now leave the driverside door open and the factory air bags no longer fight me in my disconnecting process. I do love those factory air bags, This is just fyi in case someone has a similar issue.

That's an awesome tip. I don't think mine has the "jack mode" that is mentioned in a subsequent post.
2018 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
2017 RAM 3500 Cummins