cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane frig on while driving?

babun
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to Rv'ing so excuse this question.....

I've heard the importation of a level camper so the the refig works correctly.
Also heard all the horror stories... dead refig in minutes, end of the world, teenage daughter gets pregnant, if the camper is not level.

I have a mountain climb on I40 in east tenn. that is quite steep and long, about 7 miles of driving. I'm sure there are steeper and longer grades out there.

Does your refig blow up as you crest the top??
41 REPLIES 41

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
silvercorvette wrote:
2oldman wrote:
babun wrote:
Next, I'll ask about LT vs. ST tires.....
After that, ask about gas vs diesel, which GPS to buy, and camping at Walmart. And make sure they're all posted in 5th wheels. 🙂

Give the guy a break and try not to be rude. The guy just joined this forum a couple months ago and came here to learn. If you do not like the question move on to another topic.

I would like to apologize to the OP for the rude behavior of some people and like to inform him that most of the members are not rude when someone asks question. I have been camping since the early 1980s and there are many things I need to ask.

Guess you didn't finish reading ALL of OPs post about the LT & ST tires

You missed this part

just kidding..read all the threads about that!!

Seems OP has a sense of humor and apologies not needed
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't say it is dangerous but you are traveling with a pressurized propane system which incurs a certain degree of risk. I try not to if possible, the fridge will stay cold longer than I want to tow in a day unless conditions are extreme. Been doing it that way for 15 years and no ptomaine yet. Your choice.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
silvercorvette wrote:
Give the guy a break and try not to be rude. .
Oh please.. he joked about it himself and I included a smiley face.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Would you rather have Propane or Ptomaine?

When you are parked, if you are comfortable with the level of the RV when you are inside the Refer level is also OK. And NO it will NOT explode when topping a long hill!

Fueling the RV with the Refer operating, in all your years of driving how many service station fires have you witnessed? If you want to turn it off when fueling/eating in a restaurant etc. go ahead, most modern Refers will stay cold for hours if not opened.

-
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I switched from diesel to gas and still don't worry about it when filing up. :W

Now wait a minute, my fridge is propane. Have they started making gas and diesel ones as well???????????????? I should have gotten this internet thingamajig sooner...
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I switched from diesel to gas and still don't worry about it when filing up. :W

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
babun wrote:
I'm new to Rv'ing so excuse this question.....

I've heard the importation of a level camper so the the refig works correctly.
Also heard all the horror stories... dead refig in minutes, end of the world, teenage daughter gets pregnant, if the camper is not level.

I have a mountain climb on I40 in east tenn. that is quite steep and long, about 7 miles of driving. I'm sure there are steeper and longer grades out there.

Does your refig blow up as you crest the top??

Always on. I've never yet traveled on a bridge or tunnel that required turning the gas off, nor do I have plans to travel on a ferry with a FW any time soon.

I run diesel, so don't worry about it at a gas station, either.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Per Dometic

When the vehicle is moving, the leveling is not critical as the
rolling and pitching motion of the vehicle will pass to either
side of level, keeping the liquid ammonia from accumulating
in the evaporator tubing

Per Norcold

The cooling unit or its performance are not affected
when the vehicle is in motion

Bottom line.......OK to operate when in transit
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
babun wrote:
After that, ask about gas vs diesel, which GPS to buy, and camping at Walmart. And make sure they're all posted in 5th wheels. 🙂

Give the guy a break and try not to be rude. The guy just joined this forum a couple months ago and came here to learn. If you do not like the question move on to another topic.

I would like to apologize to the OP for the rude behavior of some people and like to inform him that most of the members are not rude when someone asks question. I have been camping since the early 1980s and there are many things I need to ask.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Fridge ON while travelling.
Bob

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
babun wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
The ferry that we used last year in BC required that the gas be turned off and sealed. Other than that, the frig is on.
magic43

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
shepstone wrote:
So its ok for the fridge, now what about the furnace?

It's fine if you enjoy wasting gas. My propane heater gives me almost instant heat. I only use propane heat if I eating or sleeping in my RV at a rest stop. I I am paying for a spot in a camp ground I am going to heat with their electricity instad of using my gas to heat my camper.

By the way if it is not cold cooking on the gas stove and oven is enough to take out the chill
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to consider is that some places such as the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel require you to turn if off. Some people turn it off when pumping gas. I run on diesel so it is not something I worry about.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Just carry a lucky rabbits foot and all will be well.

On second thought it wasn't so lucky for the rabbit.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman