cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

propane slow leak question

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
hi, have a 2007 attitude. i did the 3 minute pressure test and my guage didn't move,,,,however, i left it on and i noticed that after about an 1 hour 20 minutes it went from about 7 inches to 6 inches.

would this be concerning. i kind of like everything perfect but if this is no problem, i don't want to spend hours chasing a micro leak. . i have soaped about everything with no bubbles.
19 REPLIES 19

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
I have always had the smell of propane around the tanks when the cover is on, even if the tanks are shut off. And noticed that the rubber in the pigtails always smell like gas. Wondering if the rubber in gas lines is microscopically (word?) porous and thats where the gas bleeds off.

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
seems to have resolved itself, maybe it was because i didn't turn the valve on all the way on the bottle.

GASMAN6674
Explorer
Explorer
rockwind1 wrote:

my one question, does anyone have the experience to say whether or not this amount of a leak should show bubbles?

Probably not as that isn't much of a leak. On the residential side its not a leak. I think the only way you are going to find it is 1) isolate/ disconnect all the appliances and pressurize to 2 psi with air then re-soap or 2) locate/ borrow an electronic sniffer.
Personal experience: I had a natural gas leak in the furnace/water heater room of my previous house. I soaped all the plumbing multiple times and couldn't locate it. Finally got mad and brought home my sniffer and found it in about two minutes. Tightened the nipple and all is well.
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? Propane Exceptional Energy
2015 F350 CCLB 6.2L/4:30 Vermilion Red
2020 Cougar 364BHLGone but not forgotten 2012 Ridgeline 34RLT fifth wheel/2012 V27FK V-Cross TT

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
i already soaped the stove supply line, in fact i have soaped about everyhting, have not crawled underneath though. i have replaced both pigtails. you are right, it is not a large amount of gas,,,,but!!! i don't think it was doing it before cause i generally leave my one tank on and it has never run dry. after it hit 6 inches, it only took about another 2 hours and it was completely at "0" pressure. i would say from about 7.2 inches of pressure to empty took about 3-4 hours.

my one question, does anyone have the experience to say whether or not this amount of a leak should show bubbles?

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
At ten years I had one of the pigtails start to leek, at the regulator side, that one was a stock size and connection, I chose to replace the other side and need to have made at the local propane shop. I mentioned to the shop guy that have lived in several all gas houses, that I leave my tanks opened and the system charged all the time. He said that it helps keep the valve sealed in better shape, same as gas always on in a gas house.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
Check the Supply line to the stove. Lift up the top
its right there. Mine was loose after 5 yrs.
Drove me nuts till I found it.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
So we're talking about a 1 inch drop in pressure in the volume of whatever amount of piping is in your RV over the span of 1 hour. That is not very much gas. run the same test again and after you get it to 7 inches WC, use the stove burner to bleed off enough gas to get it down to 6 inches. Then you can see how much gas is escaping in the span of that hour.

It could be leaking out through the burner valves of the stove, the electrical gas valves on the furnace, water heater, and refrigerator as well as through any fittings. You should also check the lines under you RV to see if there are any spots where there is corrosion or abrasion.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
well, i sprayed soapy water all over these two spots, everything around them as well. could a leak this slow cause bubbles?

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
2007 and small propane leak.......

Check VENTS on regulator (small pin hole on 1st stage and large screened ne on 2nd stage)

Check fittings/bushing on pigtail hoses....especially bushing on Big Green Nut.

bingo

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
It just so happens after 3 years I found a leak hissing
on the crimped part of the hose going into the regulator. $13 each at local propane fill up place. Replaced both.
Bill and Joey the dog

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
rockwind1 wrote:
not sure how it could be the tank because i turn the tank on to pressurize the system, my guage goes up to where ever 11 or something. then i shut tank off so it should be out of the equation, then i turn on stove to bring pressure down to 7 or 8 lbs, in this case it was around 7.2. then i did the 3 minute test which went fine. then i i waited and watched and noticed the much slower drop as described above.

any other opinions out there? thanks, kevin
Yes the tank is out of the equation and the regulator is working correctly. With the tank valve off the regulator bleeds out the propane in the line. This is why you have to purge the air when the tank has been shut off.

:H

Regulator has NO place to bleed propane unless 1st or 2nd stage diaphragm is cracked/leaking.....then it 'bleeds' out the vent hole
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockwind1 wrote:
not sure how it could be the tank because i turn the tank on to pressurize the system, my guage goes up to where ever 11 or something. then i shut tank off so it should be out of the equation, then i turn on stove to bring pressure down to 7 or 8 lbs, in this case it was around 7.2. then i did the 3 minute test which went fine. then i i waited and watched and noticed the much slower drop as described above.

any other opinions out there? thanks, kevin
Yes the tank is out of the equation and the regulator is working correctly. With the tank valve off the regulator bleeds out the propane in the line. This is why you have to purge the air when the tank has been shut off.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
rockwind1 wrote:
been meaning to maybe buy a new regulator anyway,
At ten years old I recommend it.
I like the Cavagna brand if you have a choice (amazon)

greende
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
The way I look at it is like this. When I shut off the stove and turn off the tanks for a couple of weeks, then return to use the stove, I need to wait for the gas to get from the tanks to the stove. Where did the gas go that was left in the lines when I last turned off the tanks? It must have "leaked" out somewhere.

Every TT and 5er that I ever had has done this. Never did figure out where it goes, but tanks are always off between outings so, I don't worry about it too much.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72