cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper Tire Pressure...

sloman2001
Explorer
Explorer
I am changing all my tires on out 5ver from STs to LTs. I have looked for an answer to my question but to no avail, so I will try here, you have all been helpful in the past.

I'm going to put 80lb psi in the tire per the RV recommendation. The max tire pressure is also 80lbs. I'm putting on Michelin LT235/85R16 size tires. They are load range E tires (3042 lbs. at 80 psi), I have 5200 lb. axles.

While driving, this pressure will increase to various levels depending on the ambient temperature as well as speed (we drive 55 mph).

So 2 questions,
1) What is an acceptable level of psi above the 80lbs, and
2) If the pressure exceeds that, do I merely stop and remove some air?

I do not want another tire failure.

I have a TPMS in place so I can monitor the pressure real time.

Thanks in advance. I'm learning the hard way.

Tom
33 REPLIES 33

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
80psi is cold tire pressure, you will be OK if the psi goes up when they are hot.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
sloman2001 wrote:
I am changing all my tires on out 5ver from STs to LTs. I have looked for an answer to my question but to no avail, so I will try here, you have all been helpful in the past.

I'm going to put 80lb psi in the tire per the RV recommendation. The max tire pressure is also 80lbs. I'm putting on Michelin LT235/85R16 size tires. They are load range E tires (3042 lbs. at 80 psi), I have 5200 lb. axles.

While driving, this pressure will increase to various levels depending on the ambient temperature as well as speed (we drive 55 mph).

So 2 questions,
1) What is an acceptable level of psi above the 80lbs, and
2) If the pressure exceeds that, do I merely stop and remove some air?

I do not want another tire failure.

I have a TPMS in place so I can monitor the pressure real time.

Thanks in advance. I'm learning the hard way.

Tom

A couple of questions. Are your axles derated to 5080# on the certification label located on the left forward external section of your trailer? Are the tire sizes on the same label listed as ST225/75R15D?

According to the 2010 Keystone specs that’s what should be on the certification label.

2010 specs

FastEagle

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not call Michelin?

I ran Ribs on my trailer with 5200 pound axles at 65 lbs for the first couple years and the based on a slight more wear on the outer edges upped them to 71 pounds. Only ran them for 6.5 years. Now running R250's at the same 71 pounds. I called Michelin several times and always received the same answer.

Please post what they tell you. They are the ones that own the warranty.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run them at 80PSI. I have always used the max pressure on the sidewall. Unless you tow a lot of miles the tires will be rotten before the tread is worn out.