cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to find a quality extended pin box

bth232000
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning everyone. I am trying to find an extended pinbox so that I can pull my Toy Hauler with my flatbed truck. The bed I have is 9.5' long by 8' wide. I plan to use a gooseneck to fifth wheel adapter with the ball that's already installed. I found that the Reese Sidewinder with the 22" extension would work perfectly but I'm not seeing one in an 18K rating. Maybe I'm over looking something here. Any advice or experiences others have would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

shawnct450r
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Pop-it brand (If I recall correctly). Mine is a 5-6 inch offset, and it works perfectly for me with my average sized pin-box and shortbed pickup. No evidence of frame weld cracking as of yet (I inspect during and after every trip because I'm paranoid), and I've had it on for about 6 years. I would think that a short pin-box with a long adapter would be a good receipt. From what I've heard, people in the horse racing circuit do this to their vacation trailers with no problems. JMHO
04 F250 FX4 Diesel
06 WW LE3305
06 Honda TRX450R (CT Racing)
04 Suzuki LTZ250 (Son's stunt machine)
06 Suzuki LT50
05 Honda VFR800A

Redwing1
Explorer
Explorer
B&W makes a hitch specifically for flat beds, I have one I used in my F-650 to pull a 42' toy hauler and never had a problem with it.
1SG USA (RET)
Newmar Essex 4502

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
No way I would do one of those adapters- your trailers frame is not built to withstand the additional stress.

If I was a good welder I think I would get cracking on fabricating and mounting a goose neck hitch further back on the truck and then get a B&W Companion. 🙂
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

honda4us
Explorer
Explorer
Swap out the Gn hitch on the truck for a B&W and then use the companion from B&W best of both worlds.
Martin & Wendy
Jessica & Alex
Sundance the guard dog
'15 3500HD C/C LTZ BLACK LMLD/A 4X4,B & W HITCH :B
'12 3500 EC/LB SRW
'13 Raptor 381LEV W/GOODYEAR G614's
4 Honda ATV's,:B '14 Can-AM Spyder RT-Limited :B

Ralleys attended 17 and counting :B:B

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't do it, too many added stresses to the trailer frame with the extended "moment arm" of the longer pin box and gooseneck adapter.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

bth232000
Explorer
Explorer
I read through that thread you sent me and they bring up some valid points. I'm trying to avoid putting a fifth wheel hitch in the bed because the truck is used for mobile welding and that would take up a lot of needed space in the bed. I was also thinking about dove tailing the corners of the bed to avoid getting the extended pin box. Hmmm I think I'm still at square one

bth232000
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. From what I was reading though the gooseneck adapters are rated anywhere from 16-25k and up. I'm not worried about the adapter as much as the toy hauler frame. I'm fairly certain it's strong enough but without actual manufacturer data it's hard to say. It's a 38.5' 02' Komfort Karryall with a 18K GVWR. I haven't found a whole lot of info on the web about it.

Y-Guy
I'll try to find a thread from a couple years ago, one of our members talked about the stresses put on a hitch when using a gooseneck adapter, such that it didn't sound like a good idea. There are also some reports of warranty issues if you use a gooseneck adapter.

With what you're trying to accomplish it sounds like that type of situation, adding a lot of extra forces to the factory pin box by adding an extension and a gooseneck. You might contact Reese to see if they make one, but my gut reaction is with that weight and the stress it's probably not a good idea. But I could be wrong.

Here is a post from richheck about this: 2009 Thread

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon