cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quality Coachman Chaparral 29BHS

jdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any feedback/experience on the Coachman Chaparral fifth wheels? We are looking specifically at the 29BHS. We have been looking a number of different units and like the layout and specs etc on this unit. I am wondering more about quality etc since they are now owned by Forrest River. We have owned a Jayco in the past and liked them, but they do not offer the floor plan we like in this size unit.

Also with the "turn design" on this unit, they say 90 degree with shorbed truck. Any one have experinece with B&W hitch and clearance issues?

Running 2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Short bed Diesel.

Thanks,
10 REPLIES 10

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looked at the Chaparrals and Cougars both at the RV shows and they are typical entry level RVs. They look pretty, but are not substantial.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Fineline1
Explorer
Explorer
We also looked at the 29BHS but ended up finding the same floorplan in the Cougar 320QBS but cheaper due to being a used unit so we went that way. I did like the Chapparal though, especially the lower profile. I like the way the floor opens up on both sides. You will have room in there to hold a square dance if you wanted!

bwilke
Explorer
Explorer
i am looking at this same 5th wheeler....did you purchase a couple of years ago and if you did how has it been....any problems... I have the same truck you had when you purchased

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 343RLTS that we bought new and have had very little issues. My worst complaint with build is the quality of the interior steps. Our bottom step gave way this past summer and when looking at it to repair we noticed that it was constructed using staples and cheesy looking wood. one of the staples had pulled loose. We temporarily braced it but are considering rebuilding the steps completely with sturdier materials. Other than that, it has really seemed to hold up well for us and we like it.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

Ronandpat
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new 2016 Chaparal 33TSIK. Have had it since July. No major problems (slide adjustment, replace bottom seal on one slide and refrig drain connect). This is our third new 5er and it has been comparable to to the previous (2005 and 2011) units.
WE GO WHERE WE ARE TOWED!
Ron, SOP and the SOC
N9LRO
Greentown, In
2016 Coachman Chapparal 336TSIK
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdrver wrote:
I am pumped! We are going with Chaparral Lite 29BHS. I talked with a service rep with Coachman and he confirmed I will not need a slider hitch with my truck and camper configuration. Pick it up next Saturday ๐Ÿ™‚

Congrats on your new 5er. Enjoy and have fun.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

jdrver
Explorer
Explorer
I am pumped! We are going with Chaparral Lite 29BHS. I talked with a service rep with Coachman and he confirmed I will not need a slider hitch with my truck and camper configuration. Pick it up next Saturday ๐Ÿ™‚

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 325 MKS it is a 2013. Had some issues with slides leaking, a window leaking, refrigerator front kept falling off.

All repairs done under warranty or at the Coachmen rally for free.

We liked the layout of the unit is why we bought it.

I really would not complain about workmanship but as always could have a done a better job.

I do have a B&W hitch it is a slider but have not had to use the slider yet. I can turn 90 degrees without it.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

xPIXx
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2012 269BHS that we bought new. Haven't ever had any problems, its been a great unit. I would buy again.

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 29RKS,a 2015.Haven't had any major troubles other than the front cap fade.Coachman had it painted under warranty.As far as build,it's pretty good.Nothing other than a black tank valve cable broke.Dealer sent me a new one and I replaced it myself.If you get a good one it's a good one and I believe most of the coachmans are good.
We have pulled this one to both coasts and about 12,000 miles and are still on the "China bomb"tires.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL