cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Mor/Ryde RPB Pin Box

billy79
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I will be ordering out fifth wheel in about the next month (hopefully). We plan on going full-time in it next spring, so we will definitely be using it a lot.

I plan on getting the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch. I know that is a hotly debated item, so I am not trying to stir that can of worms up.

I have read that towing with that hitch is very smooth due to the nature of the socket and ball design.

The fifth wheel we want to order offers the Mor/Ryde RPB Pin Box as an option. Before I decided to go with the Andersen 5th Wheel hitch I figured I would order that. But now that we are going to go with the Andersen, I am thinking it may make sense to save my money and not order the Mor/Ryde. The option cost is about the same as I could buy it for on Amazon, so I figure if down the road I wish I had purchased it I could always order it and swap it out later.

I was hoping to hear from those familiar with both the Andersen and the Mor/Ryde on their thoughts.
30 REPLIES 30

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
billy79 wrote:
I usually try to get real world experience from people which is why I posted here.

Though I did also reach out to Andersen and I just received my response from them which I am pasting below:

Billy,

We are glad you came across our hitch and the reviews as we are having
great success with this hitch.

Our hitch is compatible with cushioned pin boxes but the feedback of the
traditional 'static' pin box is much better than the cushioned ones. Our
hitch removes all of the slop that a traditional 5th wheel has so it
makes for a solid and silent towing experience. The cushioned pin box
will have you feel some of the surging effect as it counteracts with
rough roads. We recommend you don't go with the upgraded pin box and
stay with the traditional one.

As I read through the replies, I was thinking - why not simply ask the manufacturer?

You did - and, received the reply.

I have a MorRyde - but not with that hitch.
Works well for me - never experienced "chucking".

If you decide you want a MorRyde later, you could add it.
(Probably for less than via the 5er dealer).

So - seems like an easy decision "now"...:C

~

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, and talk about inexpensive! Maybe that's why people are bashing it, they can't stand that they spent so much money on their fancy hitches 🙂 Just kidding but really ... $349 and no shipping? That's cheap.

http://www.hitchsource.com/andersen-ultimate-5th-wheel-connection-rail-version-p-35158.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAkdajBRCJ_7_j6sCck7wBEiQAppb2i9DpvysRo8e6LA1ohT0is7vHVT0m7tE6ZVutCkb84FgaAsyS8P8HAQ
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS

timflood
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have a Andersen hitch and pull a Arctic Fox that is on the heavy side, I had a slider then a standed 5 wheel Rees 16000 . I love the Andersen, I can take it out and put it back in with ease, no rails in the bed of my truck. There is NO sounds that come from it like your bed is going to fall a part. When people talk about things they DONT have and tell you why they would not buy one, Well I have one and like it, I had a Rees and did not like it, I had a slider and did not like it.i went through 3 hatches before I got the Andersen hehehe A lot of money down the drain. Buy what you want. I well not tell you what to buy. I like my Andersen
Tim & Brenda
2014 27-5L Arctic Fox
2018 King Ranch F350, 8 Ft Bed, 4x4
Stockton, Ca.

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
billy79 wrote:

There you go. Save the money and spend it on something else 🙂
Paul "Poppy" Cervone

billy79
Explorer
Explorer
I usually try to get real world experience from people which is why I posted here.

Though I did also reach out to Andersen and I just received my response from them which I am pasting below:

Billy,

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I for one think the hitch is very ingenious. I have never heard from anyone who actually has one but the video makes it look pretty good to me. I'd be curious to know what the controversy is about because I don't see anything controversial?

As far as working with the Mor/ryde, which I have on my trailer, Andersen obviously likes them working with their hitch because their demo trailer has one on it in the video.

There are a couple of responses here that don't make sense to me either. First, the manufacturer does claim it helps cut down on bucking and other movement. Second, it sure looks to me like you can hitch up to another trailer as long as you move the hitch block to the new trailer and I see no reason it can't be done in just a minute or two as long as the remote disconnect isn't permanently attached to the trailer.

So maybe I need to do some searching on the Andersen hitch to find the controversy but I say keep the Mor/ryde in the order because it can only help or call Andersen and see what they recommend.

Just my .02. YMMV
Paul "Poppy" Cervone

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
With most 5th wheels the "chucking" motion can be eliminated if the 5th wheel is leveled and the pin weight is in the 20-25% range.

Normally this will cost nothing unless you have an older 5th wheel and newer truck where it is impossible to level the trailer.

billy79
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
The andersen has nothing to do with how the RV rides. I am sure it is no different then a B&W. Now some other hitches have slop and you will notice that stopping and starting.

Light weight RV's may be fine with an Andersen but they rely on the bed to support the hitch and a heavy RV IMHO is not a good choice for a Andersen. Also you won't be able to tow another 5er unless it is equipped with a Andersen kingpin.

Does not look like you can lock the ball to the socket. I lock everything!

Thanks, I have done a lot of research and have decided that the Andersen is the hitch for me. I know some will disagree and that is fine. What I am looking for now though is input on those that have an Andersen that tow with a regular pinbox and / or those with an Andersen with an upgraded pinbox like the Mor/Ryde on their real life experience with this combo.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The andersen has nothing to do with how the RV rides. I am sure it is no different then a B&W. Now some other hitches have slop and you will notice that stopping and starting.

Light weight RV's may be fine with an Andersen but they rely on the bed to support the hitch and a heavy RV IMHO is not a good choice for a Andersen. Also you won't be able to tow another 5er unless it is equipped with a Andersen kingpin.

Does not look like you can lock the ball to the socket. I lock everything!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

billy79
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
:h

I have no doubts about the Anderson hitch system. (or Andersen, what part of Scandinavia you from????? :B )

Umm, that's how they spell it not me. I'm all for being snarky and sarcastic but may want to be careful on who's right before you correct someone:

http://www.andersenhitches.com/

billy79
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great replies folks, gives me lots to think about.

lillyputz
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:
We ordered a Mor Ryde pin box on our rig and have a Curt 24K in the box.

Great combo for us.

X2

Lillyputz
Lillyputz

Two beagles. Lilly & Zuri

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
:h

I have no doubts about the Anderson hitch system. (or Andersen, what part of Scandinavia you from????? :B )

Finally saw one last summer.

Short on details, hows a MorRyde or Demco Glide gonna interact with that collar attachment device on the Anderson???????
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a B&W Companion 5th wheel.

We added a MorRyde pin box to our 39ft toyhauler.

Unscientific not engineer supervised results: "chucking" motion transferred to the tow truck reduced by approx. 90%.

Anderson system - engineered triangles will hold bridge decks up and engines on airplanes but never work for our Big Fivers 🙂 🙂 🙂

Your results may vary.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered a Mor Ryde pin box on our rig and have a Curt 24K in the box.

Great combo for us.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel