cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About my Brake Control

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Hopkins Impulse brake controller installed in my F150, I even bought the Hopkins harness adapter so it plugs right into the Ford harness for factory fit.

I only pulled my 5er last year twice for very small trips, last Monday I picked up the 5er from the farm where it stayed for the winter and brought it to where I keep it for the summer, 75% through the trip I notice my controller was saying SC on the screen. Some times when the pedal is pressed numbers will start to climb then SC and sometimes SC right away. After searching online I see it relates to either a short in the controller which would surprise me being its more or less new or something with the magnet that controls the breaks on the trailer.

Am I better to assume it is on the trailer end ? If it is the trailer how much am I looking at to replace the magnet or magnets for the breaks ? I know nothing about this stuff at all.I am also trying to find someone that has a trailer I can try to see if my controller works with their setup.

Thanks
2016 Ford F-150 Screw Lariat Short Box
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Reese 30051 Hitch with Revolutionary Pin
7 REPLIES 7

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
No one here has their trailers around so I will have to wait until I can plug into it and check it, if I had to replace the magnet setup is it very expensive ?
2016 Ford F-150 Screw Lariat Short Box
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Reese 30051 Hitch with Revolutionary Pin

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
Get your brake controller manual out and see if it tells you what " S C " is for.

Now you may know where to look to repair your trailer.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Bigmoss wrote:

.......snip........Am I better to assume it is on the trailer end ? If it is the trailer how much am I looking at to replace the magnet or magnets for the breaks ? I know nothing about this stuff at all.I am also trying to find someone that has a trailer I can try to see if my controller works with their setup.

Thanks
Check with another trailer, or with your trailer on a different truck.
If you DO identify the trailer as the problem, before you go tearing into the brakes, follow the wire runs.
Many a time the brake wire has chafed on the sharp corner of a box channel creating an intermittent short circuit.
If no chafed wires, THEN it's time to start pulling drums and checking brake magnets and wires.
Do you own a VOM? (Volt-Ohm-Meter)
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
robwhite61 wrote:
Allworth wrote:
Break ... render into two or more pieces.

Brake ... a device which stops a vehicle.

I don't think the OP was asking for a spelling lesson.

Butt da spilnk lisson waas de bsst hep "All-worthless" had too offrr!..:S..:R

~

robwhite61
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:

I don't think the OP was asking for a spelling lesson.
2001 Ford F-350 DRW, 7.3L Turbo Charged
2013 Heartland Prowler 31 PRET

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you might have to try towing another TT to see if it's your controller or the 5th wheel problem.