cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on hitch and pin box height.

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went from a 2006 2500 HD Silverado to a 3500 HD Sierra Denali. Buying a new B&W companion slider. The Slider has a height adjustment of 17 to 19 inches. To get the 6 inches of clearance from 5er overhang to truck bed rails I need the 19inches of height on hitch.
That puts the 5er about 8 inches off level from front to back. There are 2 holes left where the pin box can be raised. If I take the pin box all the way up to narrow the distance from front of 5er to rear. Will that also reduce the 6 inch clearance I need for bed rails.
Just having a difficult time trying to envision the outcome.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013
18 REPLIES 18

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well..........

You don't have any adjustment hole in shackles and spring packs are already on top of axles

So that means 'subframe' modification in order to raise 5vr so it tows level

One example....roughly 8" over all lift

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
here is a picture of axles

Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Adjustment of hitch and pin box is what gives you truck bedrail & 5vr overhang clearance.....preferred is 6" minimum

5vr front to rear 'level' adjustments is done at 5vr axle/suspension

If you have extra hole is leaf spring shackles you can raise 5vr by using lower holes.
If no extra shackle holes you can 'flip' axles (move leaf springs from under axle tubes to on top of axles tubes).
Unless leaf springs are already on top of axle tubes.

Then you would have to raise 5vr by installing square tube (in height you need 3", 4" etc) on frame. Cut spring shackles off..weld square tubing on frame, weld shackles back on square tube. Also weld cross bracing from side to side.

It ain't easy to get a level towing 5vr anymore!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Toolguy5 wrote:
Went from a 2006 2500 HD Silverado to a 3500 HD Sierra Denali. Buying a new B&W companion slider. The Slider has a height adjustment of 17 to 19 inches. To get the 6 inches of clearance from 5er overhang to truck bed rails I need the 19inches of height on hitch.
That puts the 5er about 8 inches off level from front to back. There are 2 holes left where the pin box can be raised. If I take the pin box all the way up to narrow the distance from front of 5er to rear. Will that also reduce the 6 inch clearance I need for bed rails.
Just having a difficult time trying to envision the outcome.

Post some pics of your FW suspension and we can give more info. 2 things come immediately to mind. Make sure the FW springs are in the lowest hole (if more than one) of the hangars; if not, move them. If you do, take the time to install a wet bolt kit. Check to see if the spring packs are below or above the axle tube. If below, you can move them on top fairly inexpensively and gain about 4" more height. There are kits to do this, though may require welding new spring perches onto the axles. Another solution that I've also read about, where only a couple more inches are needed, is installing new, heavier, spring hangars onto the frame. This means cutting the old ones off and welding new ones on. Usually, you'd also add cross-braces between them for more lateral strength when making tight turns. If you still need more height, the =safest= way to go is to add a sub-frame between the FW main frame and the suspension. Usually a 2x4" tube is welded in place, and extends a ways fore and aft of the spring hangar attachments. Cross-braces are also recommended here, too.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member